Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Amy: I'm thinking I'll stop at our local pet shop tomorrow and look for a small bag of Natural Balance to try. No harm in trying, except Linda is complaining Annie is taking up too much of her limited counter space. Our son, with the 2 year old Boxer, will gladly take anything Annie doesn't like.

Judi: I don't really need more reasons to test. Annie just told me that additional testing would be fun!. (being old, slow & blind she can't hide anymore)

Craig
Old 08-12-2016, 04:24 PM

Found a better price for PetTest (Advocate) test strips. $20.22 from Walmart online store. http://www.walmart.com/ip/PETTEST-GL...50CT/154893754

I've placed an order. Fingers & paws crossed that the price stays down.

Craig
Old 08-14-2016, 03:48 PM

Hi Craig,
I just wanted to let you know that I was thinking about you and Annie while I was going about my day today. I hope all is well
Audrey
Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auddog View Post
Hi Craig,
I just wanted to let you know that I was thinking about you and Annie while I was going about my day today. I hope all is well
Audrey
We are hanging in here.

Age is really sneaking up on Annie. Although her diabetes is pretty well controlled, I think dementia and arthritis is giving her problems.

On the meal front, I'm giving up trying to get her to eat dry kibble. She's pretty much switched over to canned food. In fact, I've gone through 4-5 different varieties of Beyond brand cans, and her BGs have pretty much stayed good. I'm one who use to say "IDENTICAL" meals, but now it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference.

Hope you had a nice weekend.

Craig
Old 08-15-2016, 08:01 AM

Do we all worry when our pup's routine change? Even when the change is for the better?

For months Annie would wake up around 4AM and start wandering around the house. Her nails on the hardwood floors would wake me and I'd fly out of bed to take her outside. Yea, breaking my sleep for 10 minutes to prevent a possible "accident" was worth it! Back to bed until the alarm would wake me at 6:15, and Annie would again be walking around.

Fast forward to three days ago. The past three days she hasn't done the 4AM thing. In fact she is still asleep when I get up at 6:15! Yes, I take a moment to stare at her to be sure she is still breathing before I give her a nudge to wake her up.

So, I'm getting a full nights sleep, but I'm worrying because she isn't waking me at 4AM!

NEXT.

She had been giving me some problems at meal time not wanting to eat her full meal (mostly dry kibble). I've switched her to mostly canned food and she eats it all in one go. Of course I'm now worrying that I'm not feeding enough because she IS EATING WELL

I guess I just can't be happy!

Craig
Old 08-15-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Do we all worry when our pup's routine change? Even when the change is for the better?

For months Annie would wake up around 4AM and start wandering around the house. Her nails on the hardwood floors would wake me and I'd fly out of bed to take her outside. Yea, breaking my sleep for 10 minutes to prevent a possible "accident" was worth it! Back to bed until the alarm would wake me at 6:15, and Annie would again be walking around.

Fast forward to three days ago. The past three days she hasn't done the 4AM thing. In fact she is still asleep when I get up at 6:15! Yes, I take a moment to stare at her to be sure she is still breathing before I give her a nudge to wake her up.

So, I'm getting a full nights sleep, but I'm worrying because she isn't waking me at 4AM!

NEXT.

She had been giving me some problems at meal time not wanting to eat her full meal (mostly dry kibble). I've switched her to mostly canned food and she eats it all in one go. Of course I'm now worrying that I'm not feeding enough because she IS EATING WELL

I guess I just can't be happy!

Craig

There is just something about the sound of doggie nails on a hardwood floor that will wake you out of a dead sleep. I thought I was the only one!!
Old 08-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Founding Member

It's hard to quit worrying when it is the normal thing to do!

Bless her heart. I'm just glad she is eating something.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:09 AM

I definitely do the worrying thing. We keep a baby monitor in the room where the dogs sleep and if any of them even gets up to drink I hear it.

If Eddie hasn't barked for me to let him out during the night I peer at him closely first thing in the morning and check that he is still breathing.

Glad your Annie is eating happily (even if it isn't your first choice food) - it's so much nicer to have them eating than not!

We've just been away for a week and left the animals in the care of a pet-sitter who lived in. She is very good and has done it many times before. She often has to look after many more horses and dogs than we have, but she told me that ours was the most stressful job she does - all because of Eddie!

Antonia
Old 08-15-2016, 01:12 PM

I did the worrying thing too. Any time Bazz decided to do something different I'd watch him like a hawk until I felt better. In the end I didn't worry about what Bazz ate, just that he ate. It helped when I told myself, "with the long years Bazz has put up with me telling him what to eat and when to eat, he deserves to do and eat whatever he wants if it makes him happy"

I'm glad Annie seems to be doing good. I also hope your worries subside. Older pups sure do like to keep us on our toes! I'll be keeping you guys in my thoughts

Audrey
Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:35 PM

Worry is definitely part of it, eh? Cherish the sleep until the pattern changes again Craig!