Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:25 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Giving up...really canít take much more

remember Natalie's post on your other thread: There is no such thing as perfect regulation. How is your dog feeling and acting? That is what I wound up focusing on with my dog.

With the 105 have you tried decreasing half a unit?

Take a deep breath, I'm no good at analyzing the doses. The food being served within a half an hour shouldn't be a big deal. Maybe the insulin is just running out a little before the next dose. Have you tried adding some fiber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
Just to put things in perspective, you wrote this in March 2017:

Things can change and it doesn't have to be something scary. They just change. And some conditions that aren't particularly threatening can create periodic changes in blood sugar that last for weeks or months.

One of those things is high triglycerides (fats). It's a common problem in miniature Schnauzers and I've seen many of those dogs go months on one dose of insulin and then very abruptly it's too much or too little. So the dose is changed and they sail along on that for weeks or months and then it abruptly changes again.

Not fun! And sometimes quite scary because their blood sugar can go dangerously low when things shift and they need less insulin.

But it is a little easier knowing it's just the kind of thing that happens with those dogs and it doesn't mean anything is new or worrisome.

So sometimes more insulin is needed, forever or for a while.

Any time high blood sugar becomes a chronic problem and not a self-correcting few days, you want to look at your options and do what you can to correct the blood sugar. Something like Cushing's disease will start to raise the needed dose of insulin, thyroid problems, triglycerides.

So it's not wrong to increase the insulin to get better control when the blood sugar is staying high.

But your post about his allergy shot makes me think it has a pretty big effect on his blood sugar.

And at 12-13 pounds, 5 units is not a huge dose. I wouldn't be worried about increasing it if need be. You may find that you have to adjust his insulin dose in response to the allergy injection.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Timing on food and insulin question

A body doesn't work like a machine, being that specific on timing of metabolism. Nor does insulin. Being within a time range is fine.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:37 AM

Having a spike before a meal is normal, as insulin is running out and also the liver may be releasing a bit of sugar as the body calls out for energy. A midday snack might affect the 105 but might level out the afternoon.

But regardless, you are too focused on numbers and that will drive you crazy. I learned this the hard way. My vet finally drilled it into my head that if the dog is showing no clinical signs, they are doing OK.
Of course you don't want consistently high numbers, but achieving consistent "good" numbers every day week after week, is not realistic for many dogs.

Trying to figure out what is going on is the needle in the haystack. Eliminate the easy causes, like thyroid or infections.

My dog's thyroid is slightly high now, so we cut back the med dose. It is likely the cause of my dog's new curve pattern, which started a couple months ago. It threw his numbers out of whack, but hopefully we get back to his normal, which wasn't great all the time.

You can analyze yourself into the nuthouse. Check out this link.

https://www.aaha.org/guidelines/diab...s/default.aspx
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysaint View Post
Glad to see that the 2010 information has finally been updated to reflect what folks on this forum have been saying for years! Great article - thanks for sharing!
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 02-27-2018, 07:01 PM

Thank you Raysaint for helping me out...Iím definitely driving myself crazy.
Two days in a row now with good numbers morning and afternoon and then this high number kicks in...

5:30am -137 (before food and insulin)
12pm-105
5:30pm-460 and 377 (took it twice with two separate meters)

Exact same thing yesterday..is there any adjustments I can do to help the sugars not get so high during that time?

I have to take one more small curve because my vet wanted me to do it three days in a row and then every other day.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:19 AM

Quote:
is there any adjustments I can do to help the sugars not get so high during that time?
I even Daisy out by giving her a noodle around noon and 12 am when she started to get to her nadir and her numbers became nice and steady at fasting.
Daisy 11 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 5.5 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Last edited by Daisydog10; 02-28-2018 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:04 AM

Giving a bit of food in the afternoon wonít cause the blood sugar to go up?

Mochiís fasted number this morning is high as well...this is al just a mess.

I donít even know what my vet can do at this point since his numbers wonít ecen stay consistent for a few days.
It was at 134 yesterday morning and now it at 377...
Old 02-28-2018, 07:07 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisydog10 View Post
I even Daisy out by giving her a noodle around noon and 12 am when she started to get to her nadir and her numbers became nice and steady at fasting.
carby snacks before nadir (lowest sugar ) can flatten things out and reduce high fastings

Now these are not low glycemic foods . They kind of need to produce sugar quickly to work with active insulin as with daisy dog having a noodle . I give jesse a milk bone that has brown sugar in it . A green bean and those kinds of things wont work . Strong active insulin needs sugar quickly

Now timing can be important to early may not get the job done and to late after the numbers are rising may even see higher sugar

You have to experiment with timing and type of snack to see what works best for your pup
Old 02-28-2018, 11:49 AM

Is it not a good idea to experiment yet if his blood sugar curves are not consistent?

I thought it would be similar again today but the number is completely off this morning again..the past two mornings were really good numbers. What does that indicate if his number gets high in the morning too?... itís not making sense at all...

-Lina
Old 02-28-2018, 03:02 PM

I had to experiment because her numbers were high at fasting and her nadir was low, not low enough to call it rebound but low enough that I could tell her insulin wasn't lasting. So I tried it and it worked.
Daisy 11 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 5.5 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily