Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Craig, I feel your pain. Just when you think things are going smoothy...BOOM, another surprise!

Thought Lacie was leveling out with the Novolin N but the past 24 hours she's been running high. Yesterday started out with 240 fasting but then went into 300's and stayed there the rest of the day pretty much.

So I just thought of something - we gave her the monthly Heartguard Sunday night. Wondering if that caused the bg increase? Didn't really take notice last month as we were still fighting with the Vetsulin.

It's amazing how any little thing can affect them.

Hope your Annie is doing better today.

Brenda
Old 11-03-2015, 05:50 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I think it could be the new supplement. You know how it goes - somebody else's dog doesn't have a minutes trouble taking something, then you try it and the sugar flies up. I think everything,even topical things, have the opportunity to raise them. Some are just more sensitive to everything.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydunn19 View Post
I think it could be the new supplement. You know how it goes - somebody else's dog doesn't have a minutes trouble taking something, then you try it and the sugar flies up. I think everything,even topical things, have the opportunity to raise them. Some are just more sensitive to everything.
Could be, but I only gave St John's Wort once on 10-31. She tested 280 at breakfast and 177 this evening, so not terrible.

She did have one bout of diarrhea yesterday afternoon (from one end of the kitchen to the other end), but has had two normal BMs today. Maybe she had a "bug" for three days and is getting back to "normal" today.

Craig
Old 11-04-2015, 11:52 AM

Oh my. Glad she seems to be getting back to normal at any rate.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:48 PM

Glad she is back to normal - old dogs are just head scratchers sometimes.

Crossing fingers that the good trend continues.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:56 AM

Annie's mealtime hijinks continues. It seems she thinks she is sophisticated and eating a meal in one course isn't suitable to her lifestyle. When I put down her bowl of mixed canned & kibble, warmed slightly to release all the great smells, she will walk up to about one foot away from the dish and then inch her way to the bowl. Then, stands several seconds with her snout about an inch over the food deciding if it is up to her quality! She routinely eats about 3/4 and then backs away. End of the first course. I then pick-up her bowl and mix in 1/2 teaspoon of baby food. She gets a little excited as I clang the spoon during the mixing and goes directly to the bowl when I put it down. She then eats all except for 2-3 kibbles (not polite to lick ones bowl clean??)

I've tried adding the baby food to the first course, but she would still only eat about 3/4; has to be two separate courses!

Yep, someone is getting trained

Craig
Old 11-11-2015, 09:43 AM

This is what Soaphie did the last couple weeks she was with us. We initially had 4 courses....then that shrunk. Nothing could be mixed.

Last time you had blood work done?
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Yep, someone is getting trained

Craig
And about time too!!!
Old 11-11-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
This is what Soaphie did the last couple weeks she was with us. We initially had 4 courses....then that shrunk. Nothing could be mixed.

Last time you had blood work done?
Not sure about blood work. Don't recall what was done three months ago.

Being 14+ we expect challenges. Her dementia got worse about the same time as this eating problem.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:24 PM

Sydney's eating issues were related to her dementia as well. Soaphie's eating issues were related to her kidney disease.

And yes - it's about time Annie turned the table on you and started training you - you better watch out or she will start testing your blood!
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.