Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:13 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Craig,

One thing I have noticed about Maggie in the last year is her wanting to sleep longer and her appetite is not good when she wakes up. It really is an adjustment because when Maggie likes her food, she always would be up for a meal. You could wake her from a dead sleep and she would eat no problem. It creates some havoc for the "schedule" but the vet said to just let her set her own schedule and adjust so that is what I have done. Normally before, we would get up and eat by six but now, I let her sleep and it might be 7, 7:30, 8 or 8:30. I figure after so many years, she has earned the right to sleep in.

I am glad Annie is having good days for you guys.

Amy
Old 06-07-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydunn19 View Post
Craig,

One thing I have noticed about Maggie in the last year is her wanting to sleep longer and her appetite is not good when she wakes up. It really is an adjustment because when Maggie likes her food, she always would be up for a meal. You could wake her from a dead sleep and she would eat no problem. It creates some havoc for the "schedule" but the vet said to just let her set her own schedule and adjust so that is what I have done. Normally before, we would get up and eat by six but now, I let her sleep and it might be 7, 7:30, 8 or 8:30. I figure after so many years, she has earned the right to sleep in.

I am glad Annie is having good days for you guys.

Amy
I've been doing something like that. I still get up between 6 - 6:30 to take her out. I don't dare take her outside after 6:31 or she will puddle in the house. She is usually awake when I get up, so I give one of her eye drops, then take her out. Before, we would go straight to the second eye drop, blood test, meal and injection. Now, I might give her second eye drop and blood test, but if she isn't looking like she is ready to eat (she will usually make little noises when I prepare her bowl), I'll come to the computer and check email and forums. Usually, she will come and bump my legs to let me know it's time to get her food! When she does that, she'll probably eat all, or down to just a few pieces of kibble.

As you indicated, usually no problem at dinner time.

BTW, I'm needing to take her out every 4 hours to prevent "accidents". I try to go to bed around 11:30 just after taking her out, and often get out of bed around 4am for a quick trip. We do what we have to do for the old girls!

Craig
Old 06-07-2016, 06:46 PM

Doggie diapers worked great for Sydney during her last year.
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Annie is hanging in there: a little over 8 years diabetic. Can't tell from meal-to-meal if she will gobble 100% in 20 seconds, or only eat . At least she will go back and finish the meal immediately after I "fix it her way"! When she leaves her dog food, I just have to mix in a teaspoon of baby food (Gerber Chicken & Chicken Broth in the tiny jar) is her mix.

Craig
Aw, the things we do for our babies!

We have to do baths here, too. Three min pins and tons of little hairs.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:12 PM

Love hearing the update on Annie, Craig! Those old bladders create restless night's sleep for sure.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:55 AM

Another new dog meter for sale!
http://www.eoutletdeals.com/petlet-b...for-dogs-cats/

Don't think I'll add this one just yet to Annie's collection 😀

Craig
Old 06-24-2016, 12:51 PM

Wink Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Lol, you're so funny Craig!!
Another meter to test with
Let us know when you try it,and how much strips are
Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:07 PM

Looking forward some good update about Annie
Old 07-01-2016, 10:17 AM

Great article!
https://www.facebook.com/wholedogjou...54346562539901

Just remember Walmart switched from Humilin-N to Novolin-N several years ago.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:22 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Great article!
https://www.facebook.com/wholedogjou...54346562539901

Just remember Walmart switched from Humilin-N to Novolin-N several years ago.
the new drug for fireworks sounds interesting wish i had some for jesse this week. fire works have begun poor baby