Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Jesse girl

WOW! 10 years! Massive congrats!!!
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:36 PM
Founding Member

Thanks tami

she just keeps plowing forward
Old 03-15-2020, 01:03 AM

Awesome... gives me hope for the long haul! Congrats!
Nature's Recipe Grain Free
Old 03-15-2020, 07:30 AM
Founding Member

There is always hope Susan . Jesse shows diabetes is not a death sentence and a reduced lifespan .

thanks
Old 10-10-2020, 07:04 AM
Founding Member

Update on jesse girl

It is her 16th birthday and has been diabetic for 10.5 years . I reduced her dose by 1.5 units down to 6.5 units as she was running a bit low . Her sugar is running from 100 to 150 now. Funny she is almost 6 units under a normal starting dose for her weight . She is doing well for an old gal

She has disproved many myths like the ones I was told when this all began . She could live 3 years ,blind by diabetic cataracts in short order , you cant feed a homemade diet and you have to feed 2 meals a day . So there is allot of flexibility with the disease as long as your consistent . With her lower dose I think it is possible many dogs receive a dose that maybe to much but the body can compensate and do fine. Maybe the only evidence maybe a high number from time to time . May not catch the low number as it may have been short lived .

Jesse also has done some other amazing things . She lived with epilepsy from when she was a pup and went into remission almost 4 years ago . I never put her on medication. Professionals said she could live with the disease for 8 years and there was a 6% chance she could go into remission

So the motto of the story with jesse is if you put some effort into keeping your dog healthy outcomes can improve and by a whole lot . Of course allot of love is helpful and staying positive . I have also taken her lead and have been on a similar path as far as health taking better care of myself as me and jesse do it together . Once again thanks to the forum as I dont think we would have had these outcomes without it

Last edited by jesse girl; 10-10-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:53 AM

You and Jesse are amazing.

I took the same stance as you- I do what I need to do even if it's not by the "book".

Congratulations Jesse girl and wonderful to hear!
Daisy 11 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 5.5 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily
Old 10-10-2020, 10:01 AM

Happy Birthday, Jesse! May you have many more
Old 10-10-2020, 10:20 AM

Happy Birthday, Jesse! You are an inspiration!
Old 10-10-2020, 02:18 PM

i was just reading a 2010 post of yours where Patty replied:

there must be a happy medium somewhere. where is this happy medium?

you and Jessie girl found it

Happy 16th birthday Jessie

mo
Old 10-11-2020, 04:16 AM

Happy Birthday Jesse! You are an amazing girl.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine