Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: trouble regulating my SIssy

Quote:
Hi Patty,went over her numbers with vet yesterday.we r going to leave her on 61/2 for a week, then if no lows,do a 12 hr curve. I like to give her 6 at night,but not sure.I worry about lows.if she goes low during day again,ur experience is to go back 1/2???? Then would u stay at the lower amount,or would it just be for the one dose after the low???? Thanks,Jackie
Hi Jackie,
Bringing this to your thread so all the info is in one place. I think if the lows you were getting were with 7u then backing off to 6 1/2u would be fine. I'd leave it there for 5-7 days then do another curve to determine how this dose is doing.

Patty
Old 09-18-2012, 11:46 AM

Hi Patty,thank u so much.I am having trouble navigating the site on my phone. Hope this is posting right. I am doing 6 units at nite and 61/2 in am. I am checking her during peak??? Time. The vet thinks she is peaking between 4 - 8 hrs.I think so too.will k.ow better after this week. Then I am doing curve.then I will be able to figure it out better with the help of all of u. Don't know if I can post curve,but I can list numbers.!! Lol,is new computer is in the plan in the next few months!!!! Woohoo
Old 09-18-2012, 11:56 AM

Patty,is there a way,from the main page, that can save my thread so i can get to it easier.I have a horrible time finding.I go to diabetes discussion.,them regulation ,then find my thread,etc.is there an easier way?? Lol
Old 09-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Jackie,
Are you able to save a link to "favorites" in your phone? I would save the link once you're on Sissy's thread to your phone maybe.

You can also click on your name stylynjm and it will take you to your profile page. From there click on Statistics and then all threads created by you. That will list Sissy's thread.

Or there's a way to subscribe to a thread and I'd have to walk through it because I've not used it before. It would be under Options I think in the User CP.
Patty
Old 09-18-2012, 06:42 PM

Exclamation Re: trouble regulating my SIssy

Thanks again Patty.I saved it to my bookmarks!! Also I did find it in user cp I am concerned tonite because Sissy threw up.it was before food and insulin,but what do u do if they throw up after insulin???;;.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:33 AM

Hey Jackie, Patty ended up at the emergency room with her girl last night, so I will try to help.

Do you home test? That can really help when they vomit. I think.....the level of danger is determined by how long the food was in the belly and how much digestion had taken place. If the vomit was right after eating it is more dangerous then say four hrs. later.

Honestly I rely very heavily on my home testing during times like these as Ruby had in the past gone down to a 30 without showing any signs of hypo.

If they do show signs you want to give a quick acting sugar followed by a carby snack that can kick in after the sugar is gone. A lot of folks use syrup/honey and a biscuit.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:14 AM

Thanks ruby , thoughts go out to Patty,hope all is ok. Thanks for the info.I do test at home,alpha trak 2. I don't know how u could handle this without home testing.its like a lifeline.lol. Sissy seems fine this am and didn't throw up any more. Honey and a biscuit sounds good.Lolol,we could both have one!!!!! Thanks for help.I continue to learn from this site.it is such a help.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM

Default Personality change makes me sad:(:(

Has anyone else noticed that their dog losses her spunk?? Sissy has never been very active,but she actually seems depressed.we r at a hard point right now,she's not terribly stable with numbers. 80 - 300 .doing curve next week. Also,I don't exercise(walk) her,the vet said to wait until regulated.I think she would feel better if we did a little walk. 100 yards or so to start. I just feel stuck and it is up to me to be the leader....some ideas please.!!!!! Also,can she have a few raw vege snacks without regard to bg's or r they affected. Broccoli,gr beans,carrots r her favorites.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Personality change makes me sad:(:(

Can you tell us more about what's going on with you dog?

Weight
food
amount of insulin
complete curve results?
Are you home testing?

I think there's a tendency in the beginning of the diagnosis and treatment to think our animals are so fragile that they will break with the slightest pressure. It's not necessarily true.

I exercise my dog regularly, but you do need to know that it can lower bg significantly. However, it is important for their quality of life and to help with the disease.

I think a glucose curve is a good idea. That's testing every two hours for 12 hours to see how the insulin and food are interacting.

The low numbers you are getting are worrisome, but without a curve, it's hard to know why you get such drastic lows and highs.

My dog has her spunk back. I'm not sure she ever lost it. I think I myself was so depressed that I projected my feelings on to her, but I also didn't restrict her exercise, and that can be depressing to a dog who is used to going outside.
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Personality change makes me sad:(:(

Sissy is 13 lbs. She gets 5/8 cup DCO am and pm. She is on humilin N 6 1/2 units am, 6 units pm. I will do a curve next week when I can get more alpha strips!!!!

Can't wait to see what's going on. I think I am guilty of thinking she will break, but am adjusting better I think. The more knowledge I get, the more comfortable I get.