Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since it's so quiet, how about an update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Since it's so quiet, how about an update?

Hi everyone,
    Sissy and i have been really busy,with foster pups,family weddings and house sitting.i am down to my 2 pups.fritz, a 14 yr old bichon that i adopted, and my sissy.she has had 2 hospital stays several months ago,but right now,is doing pretty well.she has trouble with pain and limping in her front legs.i give her tramadol for it.she is eating well and interestes in all that is going on,however,lol,she does get impatient with some of my daughters dogs!!!
    We are looking forward to thanksgiving,( my favorite holiday). Also,i rescued sissy that week 11 years ago.how lucky did i get
    Hope everyone has a great thanksgiving and thoughts are with all of you,and pups,here or passed.
    Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Milo update....

Last month (Oct. 17th) was Milo's 2 year Sugar Anniversary. He is doing OK for the most part, but is on antibiotics now for a UTI. I have noticed in the last few months that he is starting to lose his vision He saw the vet last week for his UTI, and she said he can probably see shadows in his right eye and the left eye is not too bad. It has been coming on really slow, so maybe it won't be too hard for him.

Our puppy Munchkin (now 1.5 yrs old) has an attitude...so does Milo
      For the first time in 30 years of having dogs I have to keep them seperate in the house. Snoodles the miniature schnauzer gets along with both dogs.
      I was upset at first, but we have a system now and it works really well.
      They can both be in the back yard together with no problems, its just in the house where they have their "territory" issues.

Today is 3 years since my sweet Heidi went to the Bridge. She was a toy fox terrier/chihuahua mix who lived for 15 years. She was queen of the house and I still miss her.
      I remember one time when Milo was going to the kitchen to get a drink and little 5 pound Heidi was standing in the doorway. He was afraid to walk past her LOL She stood there giving him the evil eye. I think she enjoyed tormenting the bigger boy dogs. Milo had his attitude back then, but he never messed with her

Comment

I've been doing okay. I was sick a couple weeks back, but now I only have a cough. It's slowly getting better, but otherwise, I'm good.

My mom had a complication in recovering from her surgery. It was not really serious, but it will make her recovery longer. She is also trying to quit smoking, and has not had a cigarette in over two weeks!

Dexter and Harrison (the new rats) have settled in well. They got neutered last month, and have healed nicely. They are doing great.

Spencer, my oldest rat, passed away yesterday. He had what we thought was a cyst on his face. It finally got big enough that the vet was afraid it would rupture on me, so we scheduled it to be drained and cleaned. She called me during the procedure to let me know that it wasn't a cyst, and they were having trouble stopping the bleeding. It was a necrotic tumor that had been eroding his sinus cavity. She wanted me to come up, as she was going to recommend we euthanize him, but he went on his own while we were on the phone. He was a special boy, and everyone loved him. I miss him a lot.

Dakota is doing good. A little bit of seasonal allergies going on right now. I'm thinking about changing him to a grain free food as well to see if maybe that will help some.

I'll update about Piper on her thread, since I did a curve today...
        Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Oh, Mandy, I'm sorry to hear about Spencer. I know he was a very special rat. Sparky Love is probably having a great time chasing him at the Rainbow Bridge. Those terriers!!!!!!
          Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Mandy, I too am sorry for your losing Spencer. Hugs and prayers to you.
            Cosmo 9 y/o Yorkie 20 LBS, DX 9/16/14 Novolin N 3 u BID. DX w Cushings 2 yrs ago, hepatomegaly, pancreatitis, peritonitis, gall bladder disease, heart block, BPH, bil fluxating patellas.

Comment

Hey Allison, sorry to hear of your and Alfie's health problems. You're in my thoughts and prayers, ... Alfie too.

Bill, Otis (from heaven), and Sonny
              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Allison, hopefully everything works out ok with your leg. Many prayers across the pond for you and Alfie, and your crew.

Mandy, I am sorry about Spencer... they just do not live long enough.

Barb
                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Hi everyone!
                  Well it's been forever since we check in and I see the forum is going strong and helping all those new little sugar babies out there!! And that's a great thing!!

Little Miss Tiggy just had another birthday last month... 11yrs and is approaching the beginning of her 4th year with this wonderful condition we've all been dealt

She's basically been on cruise control for the last year with small little hiccups now and then but nothing serious.... Ie she hasn't been climbing on the counters, tables or digging thru trash looking for chocolate ( the veterans on her know what I'm talking about lol)

In September things started to change a little. Somehow she broke two metatarsals in her front foot... Absolutely no idea how, one minute she's fine an hour or so later she won't bear weight she was in a splint and or a wrap for 10 weeks!! New pic of that in her album....During that time she developed Hemoragic Gastroenteritis.... Vet said it was probably due to her stress with the foot. Ok we finally cleared. THAT hurdle... Appetite came back and BS back to normal.... Not for long . Two weeks later her first official diagnosis of the dreaded pancreatitis!! We caught it really early because of the previous problem..... Everything happens for a reason I guess They let us treat her at home with sub q fluids and meds.... Another fun week but that little Diva was a real trooper with an 18 guage needle stuck in her back daily

She's now her healthy little food driven self, letting us know exactly when it's 6 o clock on the dot and that we're not moving fast enough for her. BS are back to her normal ranges!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season, and even though we're not around much, my thoughts are always with all of you and always will be

Hugs , Sandy and Tiggy

Comment

I need to remember to start these updates more often! It's so much fun to catch up with members who don't post often.

Sandy, we wound up having to change vets because the one we were using in Elk Grove left private practice and went to the Sacramento County shelter - her heart has long been in rescue.

We are using a new vet off of Greenhaven, near the ER vet... I like the vet a lot, she was recommended by the previous vet as someone who emphasizes gentlel handling.

BUT the practice, a VCA, I don't care for much at all unfortunately (and VCAs are so much more expensive!). Debating whether to try someplace new or suffer through the management / frontdesk problems, such as they refuse to fax prescriptions to Drs. Foster and Smith.

Natalie

Comment

Hey Natalie!

Sorry to hear about your vet. I know how much you liked her and most importantly how you trusted her.... Tough to find these days!!!

We're using the SMALL VCA on EG Blvd.... Same one where she had her surgery last year.... Only 3 Vets who are fantastic, one in particular!!!! Trust her 100% and she respects our knowledge of tigs diabetes and doesn't try to overpower. Very caring and gentle with Tiggy! The great thing there is that you have the small town feel, usually see the SAME vet each visit and where the entire staff knows tig and us.... They should, we've spent enough time there in the last few months lol. Tig only had to go to the big one on Bradshaw once and that was for one night of hospitalization the first day of the gastroenteritis

So agree, I hate the corporation too but these Vets actually try to circumvent the system a little to try to save their clients a little $$$. Bradshaw wouldn't hear of us doing the sub q fluids.... Wanted us to bring her in to be hydrated the other ones were more than will to give us a bag, needles and send our happy a$$'s home lol.

Comment

Spirit is growing in leaps and bounds. She lost 2 teeth in the last week. And I took her to an agility trial this past weekend, just to watch and to get her accustomed to the environment. The only problem is that most of the agility trials are held in arenas that use red clay as the ground. And when you let a black and white puppy walk around on red clay, well, you get a red puppy. Poor little Spirit has had 3 baths (2 with whitening shampoo) and is still somewhat orange. Hopefully we can get that out before I have her holiday pictures done!
                        Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Definitely love reading all the updates.
                          Natalie, hope the vet issues can be worked through.

Sandy! So good to hear from you. What a spell with Tiggy. I am happy to hear you found a good match in a vet. That is a challenge.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
                          Patty
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Spirit went to the vet today for a checkup and vaccine. She's almost 18 weeks and 8 pounds. Her predicted adult weight remains 13 pounds. She is a tiny little girl!!!!!! She also got her microchip today and was extremely upset about it. I don't blame her. I'd be upset about that too. But it's to keep her safe in case she ever does get lost, and it needed to be done, even if she doesn't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Cara Sandler View Post
                              Spirit went to the vet today for a checkup and vaccine. She's almost 18 weeks and 8 pounds. Her predicted adult weight remains 13 pounds. She is a tiny little girl!!!!!! She also got her microchip today and was extremely upset about it. I don't blame her. I'd be upset about that too. But it's to keep her safe in case she ever does get lost, and it needed to be done, even if she doesn't understand.
                              Cara it is so fun to read your puppy posts! Oh how I wish my two were puppies again

Comment

Thanks, Chloe! She's my first puppy, so my days are filled with excitement. She sure is a handful but she's a great little puppy. Thankfully I work from home. I can't imagine trying to raise a puppy if I had to be in an office all day every day!

Comment

Working...
                                X