Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Since it's so quiet, how about an update?

Spirit is growing in leaps and bounds. She lost 2 teeth in the last week. And I took her to an agility trial this past weekend, just to watch and to get her accustomed to the environment. The only problem is that most of the agility trials are held in arenas that use red clay as the ground. And when you let a black and white puppy walk around on red clay, well, you get a red puppy. Poor little Spirit has had 3 baths (2 with whitening shampoo) and is still somewhat orange. Hopefully we can get that out before I have her holiday pictures done!
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Definitely love reading all the updates.
Natalie, hope the vet issues can be worked through.

Sandy! So good to hear from you. What a spell with Tiggy. I am happy to hear you found a good match in a vet. That is a challenge.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
Patty
Old 11-24-2014, 01:14 PM

Spirit went to the vet today for a checkup and vaccine. She's almost 18 weeks and 8 pounds. Her predicted adult weight remains 13 pounds. She is a tiny little girl!!!!!! She also got her microchip today and was extremely upset about it. I don't blame her. I'd be upset about that too. But it's to keep her safe in case she ever does get lost, and it needed to be done, even if she doesn't understand.
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara Sandler View Post
Spirit went to the vet today for a checkup and vaccine. She's almost 18 weeks and 8 pounds. Her predicted adult weight remains 13 pounds. She is a tiny little girl!!!!!! She also got her microchip today and was extremely upset about it. I don't blame her. I'd be upset about that too. But it's to keep her safe in case she ever does get lost, and it needed to be done, even if she doesn't understand.
Cara it is so fun to read your puppy posts! Oh how I wish my two were puppies again
Old 11-24-2014, 02:52 PM

Thanks, Chloe! She's my first puppy, so my days are filled with excitement. She sure is a handful but she's a great little puppy. Thankfully I work from home. I can't imagine trying to raise a puppy if I had to be in an office all day every day!
Old 11-25-2014, 03:24 PM

Glad that little Spirit's still doing great! I'm getting so jealous of all the puppies around me right now... I even stopped in a puppy store today to look and play with some of them (don't worry, I wouldn't buy from a pet store). I love my old dogs (Dakota is turning 12 next week, Dec. 2), but seeing all these puppies makes me want another one!

Edit: Our customer at work that had the diabetic dog came back with a new puppy last week. She was such a sweet little thing, and very good for such a young puppy. When her mom came to pick her back up, she told the manager that if she'd known I'd love her puppy so much, she would've given me the sister, instead of giving her back to the breeder (her sister was beating up on her)!

Last edited by ceruleanblue; 11-25-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:44 PM

Aw, that's sweet!
Old 11-25-2014, 05:18 PM

I've had a heavy heart the last few weeks. My sister in law runs a rescue and she got a 13 year old dog, Bear, whose family left her at a pound. Bear wasn't eating and ended up at the vet several times. She was finally dx. with pneumonia and despite above and beyond efforts, it got to the point they had to set her free. She had beautiful soulful eyes that remind me of my Kinser's eyes. He's also 13. I can't even imagine dumping him at a pound. Each day he is still with us is a gift.

Shortly there after she took a young girl pup, Stella, into her rescue. The pup had not made it's way to NY yet, but was in a foster out of state. Stella looked so much like Decker did as a pup. Rebecca kept saying to me, "PLEASE, mommy, PLEASEEEEE, can't we get her?" My SIL was sending me texts saying they could arrange to bring her to NY. Baby Stella got sick and was dx. with parvo. Despite life saving efforts, she did not survive. Poor sweet baby never had a chance.

A cousin lost her senior dog awhile back and recently adopted two small pups from a rescue (not my SIL's). A little boy, Oscar and a girl, Nala. They came home on a Saturday and by Sunday they were acting off. Monday they went to the vet and Nala was in/out of hospitalization. Later that week she remained at the vet hospital and had to have emergency surgery. She made it through surgery but didn't show signs of improvement. She went to puppy heaven. Her brother ended up hospitalized shortly there after. He didn't need the surgery but was not improving despite everyone's best efforts. At the end of the week he joined his sister in puppy heaven. My heart still breaks for my cousin and her family.

That concept of doing everything you know how to do, but your best not being good enough. Sure brings up a lot of sad memories and leaves the heart feeling heavy.

My bunch are doing fine but I sure hug them a bit tighter and spoil them a bit more these days.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 11-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Holli,

It is very tough when those kind of tragedies happen around you. I have a couple of good friends who have gotten the worst news myself. One is my dog trainer who never feeds her dog anything less than the best and who does everything right. Her rescued border collie at 7 years old started feeling off on a Monday evening and by Wednesday, she was in kidney failure and made a small comeback but by the next Monday, they had to let her go. No explanation of what happened - she was great one minute and not the next. She has been the dog that taught so many of her client's dogs to trust other dogs - she was amazing with my schnauzer and when she started attending Mya's sessions, Mya became more of a regular dog. It was just an unbelievable loss.

Another friend and customer, who I am very close to found out she has pancreatic cancer the same week. She has only eaten organic food, never drank alcohol heavily, smoked, or used drugs, and always exercised and kept herself in great shape. It is just a terrible feeling to see people go through so much. This lady has two beautiful bichons who she lives for. I know she worries because her husband is much older and even though he loves the dogs, I know she is a little concerned because they are her babies.

These things have caused me to stop and think - to make more time for the people and furry four legged people who really matter.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:54 PM

Wow, an awful lot of tragedy lately! It's so sad to hear these things.