Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:16 AM

Default Sweet KirbyK passed on March 7, 2016

My dog Kirby is eight years old. He was excessively thirsty and was losing weight when he went in for his check up. He had gone from 30 pounds to 22 in about six months. His blood work showed high calcium which my vet said is a marker for cancer. He had the eight hour Cushings test as well. Most recently when he was re-tested for calcium they said he has Diabetes. He continues to lose weight and muscle mass. He is eating and drinking voraciously. He pees a great deal and has had a few accidents (was well trained before.)

I joined the Cushings site and they recommended I come here as well. I asked the vet if we could start Kirby on insulin as I am conflicted about the Cushings diagnosis. He said he didn't think it would help without treating the underlying problem. I am taking him for a glucose test this afternoon and have requested copies of all of his tests.

If he needs insulin the vet said I have to leave him there for a day in addition to repeated vet visits. Kirby does not like being crated and gets very stressed when he is left at the vet office. I read that some people have their own monitor and test at home. My question is if I can use the glucose pee strips until I know for sure it is something he will need long term. I would buy a monitor once I know it is necessary and helping him.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:45 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Help! Cushings, Diabetes and Hypercalcemia

Hi: I think you are moving in the right direction asking for all of Kirby's test results. If he is diabetic he needs insulin so I'm pretty worried about your vet's knowledge.

So many vets treat diabetes differently it is amazing but this is worrying.

Yes, you can test at home, share your results with your vet, and adjust accordingly. If your dog really does have cushings he may need more insulin than a non-cushings dog would until the cushings gets under control.

However, we have seen a LOT of dogs be misdiagnosed for cushings because the diabetes messes up their system, throwing off the test.

I sure hope the high cancer doesn't mean cancer

please let us know what the blood sugar is and we just used a one touch ultra human monitor I bought at walmart to test my dog.

Judi
Old 12-30-2015, 11:48 AM
Founding Member

I found this old thread that Natalie (our forum owner) had posted. What food is Kirby eating?

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthre...emia#post33794
Old 12-30-2015, 01:02 PM

Thank you for responding. I am so sorry for your loss.

Kirby eats Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight Chicken and Rice. The vet told me two visits ago to give him as many treats as he wants. I use Three Dog Bakery Itty Bitty Bones and Roll Over Rewards. I started him on the Healthy Weight food when he was thirty pounds. Now he's under twenty pounds but I don't want to switch foods on him. At first we thought the "diet" was working. Kirby is skin and bones now.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:14 PM
Founding Member

a lot of dogs lose weight till the diabetes gets controlled and if Kirby does have cushings, cushings can make them lose muscle mass .

I was going to mention that if he is diabetic, testing at home will give you more accurate results since he gets stressed out at the vets anyway so that is good.

he will get better. he is just sick right now and if he is diabetic, he needs insulin or he could get ketoacidosis (I can't spell) which can be fatal. So don't back down. If he is diabetic, he needs insulin.

Walmart sells Novolin "N" insulin which is the same type as Humulin "N" insulin that a lot of dogs use for $25 per bottle. Walmart also sells reasonably priced syringes. I remarked the other day that I hadn't been to Walmart in ages now that Jenny is gone because I used to be a regular there for all of her medical needs. hang in there
Old 12-30-2015, 01:21 PM
Founding Member

i agree to leave a dog in a place that brings on high anxiety is counter productive and can skew the curve results which is what dose adjustments are based on

it very possible if regulation is improved you may see and overall improved health

it was quite the battle with my jesse to figure out and it wasn't figured at the vet it just took to much time and testing which you cant do at the vet they are to busy

deciphering curves is not an exact science and actually the care taker of there pups end up becoming there experts of the disease because of the time spent and all the testing we do at home

now i can understand many dont want to put that kind of time and effort into it and thats ok some dogs are regulated quite easily and do well with minimal effort but a dog like my jesse that would have never worked for her
Old 12-30-2015, 02:49 PM

Kirby had blood glucose of 421 today.
November 24 it was 405
September 2 it was 109. He was already very sick.

He had the extreme thirst and had lost significant weight by September. He was tested for Cushings July 25. The first vet said it was inconclusive but when I went back for the blood work in November the main vet said he did have Cushings. He also had elevated calcium in September and November. I won't have the results from today until Monday.

Seems likely to be Diabetes brought on by another disease. Do you agree? Maybe that is why the vet feels treating the diabetes won't make Kirby better.

Thanks for responding and helping me to find my way through this.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:49 PM

Hi & welcome. My Bichon Frise was diagnosed with Cushings back in March then with diabetes in April. We started treating the diabetes right away with 2 shots of insulin a day and also changing her food. At that time she was given the prescription Hills w/d but I changed her food later on to a regular commercial food. The main thing is that they like the food, eat their entire meal so full insulin can be given. Treats are a mistake however.

Anyway, I have not treated for the Cushings as my dog doesn't have the clinical symptoms. She started with drinking/urinating heavily which is symptoms of both Cushings and diabetes but when we started the insulin the drinking/urinating got better quickly.

My opinion is that you need to address the diabetes ASAP as the others said it could lead to DKA if untreated which is dangerous.

The Cushings test could have been false positive due to the diabetes so once you get the diabetes under control you can also have your dog retested for the Cushings. Or, if you start treating for diabetes and finding that your dog is insulin resistant and you keep going higher on the dose but her blood glucose numbers are still high then it may be that Cushings is interfering with getting the diabetes under control.

Keep us posted. We are here to help.

Brenda
Old 12-30-2015, 03:21 PM
Founding Member

did they give you insulin today? did they test for ketones in his urine?

Is there another vet in your town? I'm worried about Kirby this is not good.

diabetes can come on quickly. My dog started urinating everywhere in January of 2011. At that time her blood sugar was normal so I stupidly put her on a hormone. FF to May of 2011, blood sugar in the 500's : diabetic.

KIRBY NEEDS INSULIN. where are you? Judi

Quote:
Originally Posted by peony View Post
Kirby had blood glucose of 421 today.
November 24 it was 405
September 2 it was 109. He was already very sick.

He had the extreme thirst and had lost significant weight by September. He was tested for Cushings July 25. The first vet said it was inconclusive but when I went back for the blood work in November the main vet said he did have Cushings. He also had elevated calcium in September and November. I won't have the results from today until Monday.

Seems likely to be Diabetes brought on by another disease. Do you agree? Maybe that is why the vet feels treating the diabetes won't make Kirby better.

Thanks for responding and helping me to find my way through this.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:27 PM
Founding Member

I swear I don't work at Walmart but their pharmacy or any pharmacy will sell ketone strips. You could test Kirby's urine to make sure he is not throwing off ketones. that would be good to know.