Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Monster Vinny

His new number is only 77...how could it only have gone up by 1 and what are we supposed to do now?

He doesn't seem to be in any 'trouble', just lazy...that does seem to be his natural state!

Still waiting on the mail to get here to see if the AlphaTrak2 is in the mail. Maybe I should just wait on it then test him?

Mel
    Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Vinnies not dropping. test his fasting number tonight then drop him down 1/2 unit. 18 iu. then test again at his low point.

cut back on his walks for now.

are you adding abit of a carb to his food?
      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

apparently the relion prime reads 20 to 30 lower than the alphatrack. the conversion to alphatrack is divide the relion meter by .7 .

77 ÷ .7 = 110

Deacrease by 1/2 unit tonight should bring Vinnie up more

hope this helps

Mo
        Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 07-05-2013, 01:12 PM.
        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post

by increasing by 1/2 unit tonight should bring Vinnie up more

Mo
          Think you really mean to decrease?

Craig
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Yes please decrease! And I would decrease by a unit. Lets get his level up a bit to give him some cushion. We don't know his pattern well enough to run this low in my opinion
            Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

I apologize for the error. I edited the post to read decrease.

Comment

Ok...got the AlphaTrak2 in the mail today and decided to use it just before his evening meal. I used both and got these numbers:

ReliOn Prime...121
                AlphaTrak2...245

Why would they be so far apart? Here I thought I was understanding this better, but not now.
                Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

The best thing to do for peace of mind is to take it with you to the vet and match it up with their test. I've never used anything but the alpha track It was less than 10 points different than my vets test
                  Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsters Momma View Post
                    Ok...got the AlphaTrak2 in the mail today and decided to use it just before his evening meal. I used both and got these numbers:

ReliOn Prime...121
                    AlphaTrak2...245

Why would they be so far apart? Here I thought I was understanding this better, but not now.
                    That's a much wider difference than I've seen between my Prime and AlphaTrak2. What "code" are the AT2 test strips?

Excuse me, I'm not trying to insult, but did you "code" the AT2? I can see someone coming from an automatic meter like the Prime to a meter that needs to be coded to make a mistake.

Other side-by-side tests will be interesting.

Craig
                    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I suggest you reduce by a couple more units until its all sorted....perhaps 16? Trust me, you do not want to experience a seizure due to hypoglycemia....
                      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                        That's a much wider difference than I've seen between my Prime and AlphaTrak2. What "code" are the AT2 test strips?

Excuse me, I'm not trying to insult, but did you "code" the AT2? I can see someone coming from an automatic meter like the Prime to a meter that needs to be coded to make a mistake.

Other side-by-side tests will be interesting.

Craig
                        You are not insulting me at all! No I did not. Frankly, I've been fighting a migraine all day and didn't really look that look that hard at the book. Before tomorrow morning, I will make sure I do that.

Thank you for the info.
                        Mel

Comment

Originally posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
                          I suggest you reduce by a couple more units until its all sorted....perhaps 16? Trust me, you do not want to experience a seizure due to hypoglycemia....
                          Tami,
                          I took him down to 18 before I saw your post. Do you think 18 isn't enough?
                          Mel

Comment

Hi,

I personally would go lower than 18 (perhaps to 16 until you figure it out) as you are seeing lows right now that, even when you interfere with karo or a treat, aren't really increasing.

What was the BG tonight before you gave 18? I would watch carefully and interfere if needed (which you already know )
                            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

You are doing great! So many things to remember / try to learn, it's amazing we all don't have a continuous headache

What is the code on the vial of strips. I think so far I've seen "5" and "35", wondering if there are any other code numbers being used.

Thanks for mentioning your results, it caused me to test Annie:

Prime 41
                              AT2 63

Yea, a bit lower than what I like No panic, gave Annie two VERY small puppy treats along with her normal post-test green bean.

Your Prime 121 is probably close to a 183 AT2 reading, so I would think the 18 units would be low enough?

Craig

Comment

I too would go down to 16U with a low of 77. You REALLY Want to get away from the lows and give yourself some room! You can always work back up 1/2 unit at a time to obtain a comfortable range. Hypo sezures aren't pretty and EXTREMLY dangerous!

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                                X