Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My dog is suddenly very sick. Need advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog is suddenly very sick. Need advice.

Hello,

I am new to forum. My senior diabetic dog is suddenly very sick. He stopped eating today and has been vomiting food, now a lot of water. He is lethargic. I took his level which is 486. I gave him half of his normal dose of insulin of 4U (normal dose is 8U). Not sure what I should do next. Seeking advice. Thank you so much!

Re: My dog is suddenly very sick. Need advice.

probably need a vet visit

pancreatitis is a complication of the disease and can be life threatening and the symptoms you described can be symptoms of pancreatitis
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thanks for the reply Jessie. He has been doing so well for the last year so it really scares me to see such a sudden change.... Thanks

Comment

I agree with Jesse Girl. I would definitely see the vet. If nothing else, they can give you something to stop the vomiting and make your pup feel a bit better.
        Good luck!
        Mel and Vinny
        Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Sounds like it could be pancreatitis, and that needs to be dealt with asap! Your vet can do a quick check right in the office.
          Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Working...
          X