One of First Posts to K9D March 19, 2008: One Dog, One Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of First Posts to K9D March 19, 2008: One Dog, One Thread

I know this will sound familiar to those of you who are at the Canine Cushing's board--the idea of keeping all information about your dog on one thread.

If you're having problems, it makes it a LOT easier for those who can offer suggestions/help to be able to easily read what's been happening with your dog. In this way, we can see things like insulin/insulin dose changes, food changes, and so on, so we don't possibly offer suggestions for things you are already doing or may have tried before. At the other diabetes board, there was no system for this and when someone wanted to help, he/she would spend quite a bit of time using "search", trying to get some history.

The board will automatically bring your thread up as current, so we will all be able to see that you posted to it; you won't get "lost" by doing it like this. The other "plus" to it is that those who are looking for news on their friends, will automatically get "the latest" every time they come to the board.

So going with the "one dog-one thread" system as the Canine Cushing's MB has had, should make it a lot easier for those in need of advice or help and those who are willing to offer it.

One of First Posts to K9D: One Dog, One Thread

In the insanity of my finishing up a big project, I missed noting
    the Fifth Anniversary of K9D!

This was one of the first things we posted, by Kathy, the founding moderator of K9D, a person who knows more about insulin than anyone on the planet and who I'm sure will be happy to see that Vetsulin is back on the market as her dog served as a trial run of Vetsulin here in the states before it was approved for sale and who thrived on Vetsulin.

Would love to hear from some of our founding members... I know most of us no longer have our diabetic dogs so it's a bittersweet memory, but all of those dogs are part of our Chris' extended family and I miss every one of them.

Natalie

Comment

Re: One of First Posts to K9D March 19, 2008: One Dog, One Thread

Happy Anniversary, to K9Diabetes...

I am not sure where I would be without you, and even though I am not a vetern of this forum, it has been a godsend to me, and I am not sure where we would be without you.

Thanks
      Barb
      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Happy Anniversary! And a very big THANK YOU for all that you've done. This site has been a lifesaver for me and my pup. I'm so grateful!

Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

You guys have helped so many dogs, including my Jenny. Thank you from me and the bossy poodle!

Judi
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

it would be nice as natalie suggested the trail blazers that could take a bow for helping so many

it truly is a wonderful site glad it was around for my jesse
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Happy Anniversary! I am very thankful for the help of so many wonderful people.

Jake
              13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
              At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Re: One of First Posts to K9D: One Dog, One Thread

Happy anniversary to the best forum on the Internet! Bless all of you who spent the time and energy and lived through the tears helping all of us get through so many trying times. There is a special place in heaven for all of you
                Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Happy five years! I truly believe the collective knowledge on this board goes well above and beyond diabetes alone. It's been wonderful to be part of such a caring, respectful, humorous, knowledgeable and supportive group. Thank you!
                  Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post
                    Happy five years! I truly believe the collective knowledge on this board goes well above and beyond diabetes alone. It's been wonderful to be part of such a caring, respectful, humorous, knowledgeable and supportive group. Thank you!
                    My thoughts exactly. Through all of Ruby's diseases I have been a member of five online forums for her diseases. People can have very strong opinions when it comes to animals and how they should be cared for. It isn't easy in that climate to not offend or take offense, but this forum pulls it off.

I believe the leaders of this forum set the tone, and with clear, compassionate guidance make it a very safe and supportive place to be.

Thank you from Ruby and I.

Tara
                    Tara in honor of Ruby.
                    She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                    Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post
                      Well said Holli!! Couldn't have said it better!!

Sandy

Comment

I'm six months behind you - but when I found your forum and joined it, September 2008, I stopped trying to be much of a useful source for canine diabetes, since your forum was already so good. Not to mention making fast friends among people and dogs.

Fri, 19 Apr 2013 02:24:28 (PDT)
                        http://www.coherentdog.org/
                        CarolW

Comment

Happy 5 year Anniversary K9 diabetes!!

I cant thank you all enough for helping me and CJ through the last 9 months - I truly believe that he would not have made it without all the wonderful advice help and support you all gave me. THank you ...Thank you ....Thank you!!!

Anne-Marie and CJ

xxx
                          Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

wow....5 years! I don't know where I would be if it weren't for this forum. Thank you, thank you....
                            Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Natalie, I remember when I came to k9D in Nov '08.
                              - Ali had been diagnosed in May
                              - It took me several weeks to find someone willing to do a curve (everyone wanted to do a fructosamine)
                              - It took me almost a month to learn to test her successfully
                              - A couple of months later she stayed with my folks for 3 weeks before I arrived there in the middle of a move
                              - I'd joined the other board in Sept. (Amazing to say I've known Carol, Bonnie, Tami, Pam, etc that long)
                              - We'd seen a vet that put her on the raw diet in Sept for her allergies and Carla was kind enough to take me under her wing because now her blood sugar needed to be balanced out
                              - When I came to k9d in Nov I was looking for basal insulin information

I found the most wonderful people, willing to think "outside the box" with me...though I wasn't so sure about this One dog, One thread thing, LOL. I gradually realized what a huge help it was to have all the information about a particular dog in one place.

Very glad to be here and to be a part of sharing what Ali and everyone I've encountered along the way has taught me...

Happy Anniversary,
                              Patty
                              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                              X