Sweet Zoe has departed February 18, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Zoe

Echoing what jesse girl said. You've cared for your girl, Zoe, religiously, which I'm sure she knows.

You'll do the right thing for Zoe, whichever direction circumstances take her. You two are in my thoughts and prayers during this stressful period.

Bill & Sonny
    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Oh Cebe,
      I think of you and Zoe so often. You were one of the members that got me going!!!! So many thank you's, Sissy is 3+ years in now and doing ok.
      So sorry to hear Zoe is having trouble.You have given her so much love and care. I hope you and she have some more special moments...
      Hugs to you and Zoe from Sissy and I... thoughts and prayers with you.
      Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

sniffles...damn allergies.

I have no advice as I'm certain you are doing all you can to make sure she is comfortable.

Hugs to you...

Tami
        Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. That gabapentin is amazing stuff. She really is doing well on it and can walk around unassisted for a good while. It has also helped her appetite, which is great.

The vet said her blood work wasn't too bad. Her kidney function is decreased, but that might be expected in a dog of her age.

For right now, I'm going to see if I can get us into a groove with her new food mix and her insulin, and then I'll try to address any issues that come along.

At the rate she's going, I might have more than just weeks with her, and that's wonderful.

Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions. I'll keep you posted.
          Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

I'm glad the gabapentin is working. Hoping for lots more time for you & Zoe.

hugs, Judi
            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Baby food seemed to help with Soaphie's eating - randomly. (her kidney diseased progressed to the point of struggling to eat and we pretty much did whatever it took - and that was more often than not, an hour of trial and error for each meal).
              Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

I am sorry to hear that Zoe is having some problems. I hope she has many good days ahead, and enjoy every minute of it.

Barb
                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Thanks again everyone. She was doing very well this past week but a problem has presented itself this morning : low blood sugar. At 3am she was pacing and panting. I let her out because I thought she needed to poop, which she did, but she never settled after that. We were up again at 4, same routine.

I had not tested her this week but I figured her bg was likely to be very high. I've returned her food level to almost what she was eating before but kept the insulin levels lower than her regulation dose.

I tested her this morning expecting a thru the roof number. Instead, she was 54! I fed her immediately, and she ate the whole dish. Tested her again 10 minutes later, 66. Then 66 again 40 minutes later. I then gave her a little honey. An hour and a half later, 90. And now, another hour later 110.

I'm very shocked that her sugar level isn't increasing faster. She's had a full meal and honey. It's been three hours since I intervened. I've talked to the vet who advised no more insulin until later in the day, depending on her numbers, but she should've corrected more by now.

This tumor she has may be involved with her pancreas and other endocrine organs but this is worrying me.

She's panting excessively and I wish I knew what is going on.
                  Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

i have seen this with jesse . i think what we see with spikes is more about the bodies stored sugar and not so much related by sugar produced by food

i think we are lead to believe its the food that raised them up and it may appear that way but i am leaning to the body played a larger part

now if those stored glucose supplies are interrupted or the mechanism to release has been compromised then a lower trend may present itself
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Where is the cancer located?

As I understand it, both liver and kidney problems can result in low blood sugar because they're involved in regulating the basal blood sugar when there's no food in the system.

With such low blood sugar, start with the syrup or honey and follow with food. Food takes a while to digest while the syrup will go into the bloodstream as glucose very quickly.

I think you really just have to wing it with regulation in a situation like this. They can wind up being quite unpredictable. In Chris' last year, his blood sugar was much more erratic than it was before, he started to reject a food he'd eaten for a few weeks, and sometimes refused to eat at all.

I'm sorry to hear that you are at this place... It is hard and sad. I'm glad Zoe has such a dedicated person taking care of her.

Natalie

Comment

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. Jenny had some lows like this and at one point we went 24 hours with no insulin.

we winged it too her last 6 months or so. do you have any type of pain medication? I always worry when they are panting that they hurt somewhere.

big hugs to you and Zoe. Judi
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thank you, guys.

The cancer is in her abdomen. It's a large mass but we haven't imaged it so I don't know where exactly. I can totally see how it could be affecting her liver and other organs.

I started to think today that the gabapentin might be the reason for her drop to the extent that it has either relieved her pain or it just has had an affect on her.

Panting is common for Zoe but, yes, I was pretty worried this morning because it was a little frantic. And I understood why after I tested her. And now I expect it to continue because her blood sugar is high now. When I got home around 1:30, she was at 350. Then at dinner time, she was at 322. Honestly, I was expecting it to be higher. I gave her 10 units. Her normal dose is 15, but recently I was giving her 14 units. So, I'll test her again before bed and in the morning.

Thanks again for all of your support and advice.

Comment

Hi all, Zoe left this world yesterday afternoon. I'm very sad and feeling grim today, but I know that she was loved by more than just me and that she lived a long and good life for the 10 years that I had her. Part of the reason why she lived so well was because of the education I received here to keep her healthy and strong after her diagnosis. Thank you so much for your support and help and for just being there.

Comment

zoe did have a wonderful life and the time spent for you 2 will be everlasting love
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Cebe,
                                I am soo sad to hear this.you and she fought a good fight.you were one of the first members to help me .
                                I know that Zoe was so lucky to have you and we have our thoughts with you. Kisses skyward for your girl.
                                Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Working...
                                X