Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Jesse girl

Love that picture!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Founding Member

it was 2 years ago today on easter jesse went to the emergency vet and had an emergency operation because of pyometra they then determined she was diabetic bgs in the 600s and in ketoacidosis later they said she had pancreatitis prognosis was not good and of course a very costly endeavor.

She pulled through and began her long journey to recovery. Jesse was a struggle probably due to all the complications. I decided early on after coming to this forum that I was going to manage jesse's diabetes. Huge learning curve with jesse - she was an unstable diabetic and the normal routine she had little success but I was able to keep her in ok numbers with some fast acting to buy her time and figure out something that would work and we did

Her one meal a day diabetic program maybe the only one in the world for all i know and actually the cycle without a meal (I do give her some snacks) is her best range in numbers. I always wondered if one of the long acting insulin's would work and i would only have to give one meal and one shot for the day. Wouldn't that be nice but since she is doing so well I may never attempt that.

yesterday she caught her first rabbit in the field shes been trying for years and yesterday was the day it was catch and release and the rabbit was good to go of coarse jesse was not happy about the releasing part.

jesse does have epilepsy also but he seizures are not a cluster type so we elected not to put her on medication due to the side affects with the diabetes and we have learned some techniques to lesson the occurrence and severity of the seizures but as we know there is no cure for diabetes or epilepsy in dogs so they both have to managed the best we can

i actually built her routine around exercise 45 minutes of high impact chasing rabbits and a hour long walk and each do not have much of an impact but that took a long time to figure out i felt it was a quality of life issue and she needed to do the things beagles enjoy

i think today she is a normal healthy dog and enjoying life she does have challenges and that will never go away and thats ok as my mom said nobody ever promised you a rose garden so thanks everybody without your posts and threads we would have never reached this place i dont know how long jesse wants to stay but i believe its all bonus time and we enjoy each day as it comes

once again thanks to everyone new and old and of coarse those wonderful moderators natalie patty and peggy
Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Founding Member

Congratulations to Jesse the rabbit hunter!

She and you are definitely unique, tenacious and creative. I'm so glad you worked out a plan for her to still enjoy her life and those rabbits and thank you so much for all of the help and support you give everyone here.

I feel like you are an incredible puzzle solver! Judi
Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 AM

Incredible story and invaluable lessons!

Thanks from a newbie for all the advice you've given and learnings that you've shared!

Very sweet picture of Jesse!

Judy (and Sadie)
Old 03-23-2012, 09:41 AM

Congratulations on the 2 years anniversary, and ... nice job giving Jesse her life back.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:46 AM

Congrats on the 2 years, with many more to come!!!

Quality and just being a dog, is soo important and this is what you have done with Jesse! Great job!!!

Sandy
Old 03-23-2012, 10:05 AM

Great job with Jesse!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:06 AM

You are both such an inspiration - congratulations on two years! Love Jesse's photo - so vibrant and full of energy - it truly depicts quality of life. Glad to hear she caught her first rabbit, wishing her many more catch and release opportunities! And thank you for sharing so much of your (and Jesse's) experiences - your insight and ability to 'think outside of the box' has given me hope that there is some method to the madness of this disease. Holli
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:06 AM

Hip hip hurray!!! Hip hip hurray!!!

Awesome awesome story!

So glad you are a part of the group!!!
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:19 AM

My Hat is off to you and your lovely pal, Jesse

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart