Rottweiler diagnosed last week I'm confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rottweiler diagnosed last week I'm confused

I would always inject Murphy under his hind legs near lower belly where the skin is really loose. It is very easy to tent and put in, he never felt anything, just start rubbing the tummy and inject right after, very easy. Also I never gave Murphy any prescription food, kept him on the same Blue Buffalo dry food he was on before and he did fine on it, you do not need to pay a fortune for expensive food! As someone else suggested don't hesitate to change vets if this one isn't very helpful, your dog will be with this disease all their life and you want someone you can trust and talk to not someone who pushes you out the door without instrucitons.

Comment

Thank you! I am not comfortable with the vet, I will be changing...my feeling with this one which was new, our old vet retired, was zero empathy and more cash, old vet took time to pet talk and listen this one is this is how it is do this or put her down was what he said

Comment

Originally posted by Deb559 View Post
        Thank you! I am not comfortable with the vet, I will be changing...my feeling with this one which was new, our old vet retired, was zero empathy and more cash, old vet took time to pet talk and listen this one is this is how it is do this or put her down was what he said
        yikes not good need someone who will work with you

just to make a point some of us do manage the disease without a vets care .
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
          My thought is that we need to feed what they will readily eat. I've never read anything that one type of protein is better than another for diabetics. The minor diet suggestions would be something lower than average in fat and higher than average in fiber. To start, two identical meals 12 hours apart is suggested. Some of us actually use a kitchen food scale because weighing is more critical than scoops. That might not be a problem for such a big pup!

Craig
          I'm learning the buttons....
          I will be doing just that, I'll get some Blue Buffalo or Taste of the wild, I have noticed the last two nights after her injection she sleeps very hard, she did have an infection of unknown cause vet said I dunno where just shows infection and gave her antibotics , not a helpful fellow at all, shopping for a new vet tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
            I inject above the front leg, about mid way up to her back. Some vets / books say to inject into the scuff of the neck, but others say that area may not be best for absorption. I used the scuff for about a year, but then moved to the upper side.

There may be places where she prefers. My Annie prefers getting injected on her right side, but sometimes twitches if I try her left side. As time goes by, you will likely need to move the injection site around a little. If you inject into the same spot over and over a hard spot may form under the skin (probably don't need to worry about this for a month or two).

Craig
            Thank you, I did the scuff of her neck tonight was a lot better then her thin area of her thigh , I will try this one also...When you have a big girl saying no way it makes it very hard.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
              yikes not good need someone who will work with you

just to make a point some of us do manage the disease without a vets care .
              I'm vet shopping tomorrow, this vet left me horrified with the unknown. I am very thankful for all of you it is helping ease me, I was so stressed and Bella knew it, I am not a panic or wimpy type person but I have to admit this scared the heck out of me..

Comment

Hello welcome to the forum! Sorry about what happen to Bella i've read this article about the best dog food for dogs with diabetes quite helpful hope Bella will recover soon, and back to a normal life again I pray for both of you.

Comment

Hey,

My Roxy is also on the w/d soft chicken and stew food. The best place i found it was at petsmart. If you go and google chicken and stew w/d there is a link to a 7.00 off 4 cans coupons, print 3 of them for the 12 cans. AT petsmart they will let you use all 3 on a case of 12 plus any petsmart coupons you can get. Sometimes i can get a case for as low as $5.00 Hope that helps some

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    Hello welcome to the forum! Sorry about what happen to Bella i've read this article about the best dog food for dogs with diabetes quite helpful hope Bella will recover soon, and back to a normal life again I pray for both of you.
                    Thank you, it all helps... Today we did the dance of trying to get a glucose sample in her ear, it was a failed effert

Comment

Originally posted by andrea View Post
                      hey,

my roxy is also on the w/d soft chicken and stew food. The best place i found it was at petsmart. If you go and google chicken and stew w/d there is a link to a 7.00 off 4 cans coupons, print 3 of them for the 12 cans. At petsmart they will let you use all 3 on a case of 12 plus any petsmart coupons you can get. Sometimes i can get a case for as low as $5.00 hope that helps some
                      thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi - sorry you are having a hard time. I had to switch vets when I started - mine had no idea what she was doing. Some vets have a very antiquated way of dealing with diabetes - every dog is exactly the same and if the dog doesn't go by the book, then they are lost.

Prescription food is not required by any stretch - I would feed the best I could afford - there are many great foods at all price levels. I have used Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight, Nutrisca, Natural Balance Duck and Pea - all with success. My Maggie was a bit of a diva so she turned her nose up at prescription food and many premium foods as well. Even Wal Mart has a good brand (I think it is called Ideal Balance) so you don't have to spend a fortune.

The scruff was always uncomfortable for Maggie. Another thing that might be causing issues is trying to tent the skin. I found it very awkward and hard to handle the dog, the needle and get the shot right. I just pulled up any loose skin around the back(not over the spine but to the side) and injected at the bottom. Tenting is an unnecessary step. It does take time to get the whole flow. Plus, try to stay calm. She can sense your anxiety and that will make her anxious.

Glucose testing on the ear is difficult. Does she have any calluses or skin tags? They give blood and most dogs don't even feel the prick. Big dogs usually have callouses.

You are doing great - your instincts about the vet are right! Also, I found many vets don't encourage a ton of involvement like testing but believe me, you will be best qualified to make decisions as you get better at this. Don't be hard on yourself - none of us probably ever envisioned we would be doing this. There is a learning curve.
                        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                          Hi - sorry you are having a hard time. I had to switch vets when I started - mine had no idea what she was doing. Some vets have a very antiquated way of dealing with diabetes - every dog is exactly the same and if the dog doesn't go by the book, then they are lost.

Prescription food is not required by any stretch - I would feed the best I could afford - there are many great foods at all price levels. I have used Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight, Nutrisca, Natural Balance Duck and Pea - all with success. My Maggie was a bit of a diva so she turned her nose up at prescription food and many premium foods as well. Even Wal Mart has a good brand (I think it is called Ideal Balance) so you don't have to spend a fortune.

The scruff was always uncomfortable for Maggie. Another thing that might be causing issues is trying to tent the skin. I found it very awkward and hard to handle the dog, the needle and get the shot right. I just pulled up any loose skin around the back(not over the spine but to the side) and injected at the bottom. Tenting is an unnecessary step. It does take time to get the whole flow. Plus, try to stay calm. She can sense your anxiety and that will make her anxious.

Glucose testing on the ear is difficult. Does she have any calluses or skin tags? They give blood and most dogs don't even feel the prick. Big dogs usually have callouses.

You are doing great - your instincts about the vet are right! Also, I found many vets don't encourage a ton of involvement like testing but believe me, you will be best qualified to make decisions as you get better at this. Don't be hard on yourself - none of us probably ever envisioned we would be doing this. There is a learning curve.
                          Thank you!!
                          This whole injection ordeal has made me so ill to the point of throwing up, my sis in law came to give Bella her shot last night while I threw up, I am having the worst time of overcoming the fear of hurting her, the area where I was instructed to inject her first was so painful to her she yelped and ran then the association of eating and pain kicked in for her, my mind says I can do this my heart and tummy are having a fight with my mind. I had brain surgery a few years ago for a brain tumor, this big beautiful girl would ever so gently climb into the recliner beside me and give me hours of baby kisses, she has been my healer of ouchies

I am so sorry for your loss of your Maggie, I also have a Maggie, Your suggestions will be taken.
                          Debbie

Comment

Shelby the rottie is a rottie as well.

One thing I have found from this site is we are one of the lucky ones. Shelby spent about a week at the vets after she was confirmed diabetic. We had a pretty good idea.

When we left the vet he had her on 8 units in the morning and 4 in the evening. We started her on the vet recommended food, the Science Diet stuff. She liked it but I didn't much. We have two dogs and at the time thought it would be a pain. What I did was take the recommended feeding amounts and calories per cup to get the suggested calories per meal. I then started looking for a decent food where I could get the calorie count close. Once that was done it was a matter of adjusting that to the point where she was hungry at meal time but not starving. The we adjusted her insulin to that.

That was great for a while she still had spikes now and again. Then she decided she hated what she was eating. We tried some wet food but that would affect her sugars. We tried broth still not a bunch of luck and she has never been one to shun her food. Once again we did the calorie calculations with a cheap food. (don't shoot me) The difference is truly amazing. We are mixing 3 foods and a bit of beef broth. She is back to eating like a champ. Her sugars are fantastic, for some reason we are not seeing very many spikes and she is happy and active. She is consistently under 10 (180).

We do our blood tests on her inner lip. She was dry everywhere else. I will sit on the floor and she will lay down and put her head in my lap. The vet said good luck with doing it on the inner lip. Once that's done it's time to eat.

I do her injections just forward of the shoulder area. My wife does it sort of on here chest area. Rotties do have a lot of skin in some places.

She will be a two year member of the club in October. We have not had her to the vet since I picked her up. Maybe not best but she just plugs along.

Keep with it and stay positive, it does become a normal part of the routine. Like I said earlier maybe we are just one of the lucky ones. It could be that I have one of the best dogs in the world too.

I know all about the vet bills as well. Although we were quite surprised by what her almost weeks stay cost. The biggest surprise was the insulin cost. He charged us $55.00 for one pen refill. When I got home I went to the local drug store and asked about the price. They said something like $127.00. After I picked myself up off the floor they informed me that was for 5 pen refills. She is on Levemir.

I apologize for the long winded post.

Comment

Originally posted by thomasgunnar View Post
                              Shelby the rottie is a rottie as well.

One thing I have found from this site is we are one of the lucky ones. Shelby spent about a week at the vets after she was confirmed diabetic. We had a pretty good idea.

When we left the vet he had her on 8 units in the morning and 4 in the evening. We started her on the vet recommended food, the Science Diet stuff. She liked it but I didn't much. We have two dogs and at the time thought it would be a pain. What I did was take the recommended feeding amounts and calories per cup to get the suggested calories per meal. I then started looking for a decent food where I could get the calorie count close. Once that was done it was a matter of adjusting that to the point where she was hungry at meal time but not starving. The we adjusted her insulin to that.

That was great for a while she still had spikes now and again. Then she decided she hated what she was eating. We tried some wet food but that would affect her sugars. We tried broth still not a bunch of luck and she has never been one to shun her food. Once again we did the calorie calculations with a cheap food. (don't shoot me) The difference is truly amazing. We are mixing 3 foods and a bit of beef broth. She is back to eating like a champ. Her sugars are fantastic, for some reason we are not seeing very many spikes and she is happy and active. She is consistently under 10 (180).

We do our blood tests on her inner lip. She was dry everywhere else. I will sit on the floor and she will lay down and put her head in my lap. The vet said good luck with doing it on the inner lip. Once that's done it's time to eat.

I do her injections just forward of the shoulder area. My wife does it sort of on here chest area. Rotties do have a lot of skin in some places.

She will be a two year member of the club in October. We have not had her to the vet since I picked her up. Maybe not best but she just plugs along.

Keep with it and stay positive, it does become a normal part of the routine. Like I said earlier maybe we are just one of the lucky ones. It could be that I have one of the best dogs in the world too.

I know all about the vet bills as well. Although we were quite surprised by what her almost weeks stay cost. The biggest surprise was the insulin cost. He charged us $55.00 for one pen refill. When I got home I went to the local drug store and asked about the price. They said something like $127.00. After I picked myself up off the floor they informed me that was for 5 pen refills. She is on Levemir.

I apologize for the long winded post.
                              Thank you! Insulin pen? This may be what I need to use, I hurt Bella the first few times as to the area the vet said to give her, plus he had me giving her 28 units morning an night, I do not think this is correct the night would make her unresponsive to everything for several hours, she will see a new vet next week, my sis I. Law has been doing her shots at 6 pm 28 units and she is her old self with just the one injection a day..

Comment

We don't use the pens, just the pen refills. I don't know what she feels when we give the shots but she doesn't complain. Shelby gets a dose of 10 - 11 1/2 depending on what her sugars are.

I guess my advice would be try the inner lip for blood tests. It might work for you. The other thing we did was get the food and amount right then how many insulin units she gets.

Maybe try putting some water in a syringe or even empty and shoot up an orange till it feels a little more comfortable. Bella may be picking up on your fear

Comment

Working...
                                X