Roxy the Boxer - An Angel June 12, 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Roxy the Boxer

Hey guys it’s me again . Another quick question. Do you guys give your dogs probiotics? If so what brand?

Comment

Hey guys. Roxy and I are doin great!!! Until right now. I logged onto my iPad and saw an article about dog food. Apparently this list just came out. Of course both of my dogs are eating one of the foods on the list... help. I just don’t know what to feed them anymore. Any advice on the dog food I can feed my diabetic and non diabetic dog? Both are large dogs. Roxy is a boxer, my non diabetic dogs name is Hershey who is a pit bull

Comment

whats the problem with the dog food ?
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
          whats the problem with the dog food ?

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending-...ease/962297763

They are saying it is linked to heart diseases

Comment

It just seems difficult to me to correlate those ingredients to heart disease . Now maybe all processed dog food can have a negative affect on a dogs health . Processed foods for humans are usually not tied to a healthy diet .

So you could switch to something else and run into the same problem . If you have good regulation I think its hard to change because regulation can be challenging

I have been giving jesse a homemade diet after she became diabetic and it was a learning process in what works for her . She never had the most consistent blood sugar and that could be tied to her diet but I felt a natural diet would be better in the long haul and sacrifice better sugar
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

I fed.my dog Fromm for 5 years. Its on this list. He had no signs of DCM.

There saying some dog foods are low in the amino acid called Taurmine and suggesting to have a vet test for low levels of taurime.
              But dog foods on the list have taurmine

Taurmine is beneficial for dog diabetes complications so i.ve just read.

Again all diabetic dogs are different not one diet suits one dog.
              Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
              20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Doesn't seem the research is conclusive yet. And just like many human pre-packaged foods, studies show they could cause/be linked to whatever. But most of us keep eating them because we know the risk is usually low.

I'd say that if I stopped eating/drinking everything that a study has shown a possible negative effect, I'd have no choice but to be vegan.
                Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Hey guys. Just checking in. We’re still hanging in. Roxy had a uti for almost a month awhile ago and she couldn’t hold her pee at all. That was scary.. the vet had her on an antibiotic for the whole month. We’re doing better BUT every once in a while I will see a few drops of pee on her bed . I have a question she had hip problems for awhile and you guys recommend b12 she was on it for a while and then she seem like she was getting better. She hasn’t taken any b12 in almost a year.

I am see dog treats for hip problems has anyone used them ? I have a pitbull that is non diabetic and we adopted her about 5 years ago. They believe she was a breeder dog for a fighting ring. She walks fine but she get so scared still if someone touches her rear end. The vet said probably from being breed so much. Sorry long even longer...

Do you guys recommend a treat for hip problems?

Comment

I heard swimming is helpful . Some have said acupuncture works . Other have said CBD oil was helpful . Of course there are joint supplements . Adding anything to the diet could affect blood sugar but I believe most supplements dont have much of an impact on blood sugar . My jesse eats canned mackerel that has the omega fats which they say are good . My jesse is 15.5 and doesnt appear to have any substantial affects from arthritis . I also give her vitamin b-12 . In the end age will catch up and we are limited what can be done . Painkillers are an option if it gets to be unbearable but there are side affects to that so you have to balance quality of life.

Comment

Andrea, my diabetic husky whom is also overweight has a sensitive rear end hip area as well and has had some hind end issues. I know in some cases the diabetic neuropathy affects the nerves and usually injectable B12 works or the methyl b12 supplements. This was the case in my prior diabetic dog and you'll usually notice this when they drag their rear leg and hear a scraping sound as they are unable to lift the leg properly.

It sounds like you are fighting some arthritis or hip related issues. Not sure if your dog is overweight but im fighting some of this as well and ive been giving him glucosamine supplements with turmeric and also give him carprofen however only at half dose as nsaids aren't great for dogs. In my case im only giving him these until we can get his weight down. Might want to have your vet check him for arthritis as they can manipulate the legs to see how your pet reacts.

Comment

Well Roxy still isn’t doing well at all. We are trying to make the hard decision on what to do. I will keep you guys updated

Comment

Thanks for the update and hope Roxy can turn the corner

Comment

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice. Roxy crossed the rainbow bridge on June 12th. I am so depressed. I didn’t realized how much I needed her just as much as she needed me. For the past 5 years my whole world revolved around Roxy and her diabetes. We had her cremated and now she is back home with us.

Comment

Roxy is at rainbow bridge now enjoying no limitations that she had on earth

We get so close to our friends when we become their caretaker and we do it gladly .

Roxy beat the odds with your help and lived a beautiful dogs life. She will be missed

Comment

So sorry to read of your loss of Roxy. It is always so hard to say good-bye.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Comment

Working...
                                X