Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stubborn lab-Joint Health/diet help?

Hi everybody!

I have a question for those who have had to balance both diabetes and aging joints in their furry children. It seems to be a delicate balance when we have to be so careful with many supplements that can hinder diabetes while assisting aging hips. Today while I was grocery shopping, I was looking at the supplements and vitamins in the store and I was wondering if there is a safe regimine or something out there we can use for our pets who need the help in their mobility.

In my case, Ruger, just turned 13 about 2 weeks ago. That's a good age for a Labrador, and they are prone to hip problems. He's been a bit of a fussy eater lately not wanting the food we make for him. While he was at the kennel they fed him some hills a/d (is there something special in here) that really stimulated his appetite. We would love to have that again without having to feed him small things to get him to eat as if he was Cleopatra on the Nile. Due to this he seems to be having difficulty with his hips as he's being picky eating he's not getting all his necessary nutrition or energy.

I was curious as to if anyone else has had similar issues with eating, but also especially what you have done for joint care.

Thank you so much!

Re: Stubborn lab-Joint Health/diet help?

I know what you mean about our pups aging. I started Annie on Glucosamine for Dogs with Chondroitin & MSM Liquid Hip & Joint Supplement For Maximum Nutrient Absorption Compared to Chewables ♥ Prevent Poor Joint Health & Renew Older Dogs Aching Joints ♥ 100% Money Back GUARANTEE ♥ Made in USA ♥ Buy Now! (32 oz) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XYY1EI6..._4hI3vbDAVJF1J two days ago.

No idea if it's going to work, but there were some good reviews. Must not taste too bad because Annie has licked her bowl since I've started adding a teaspoon over her kibble. Doesn't seem to affect her BG

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
      I know what you mean about our pups aging. I started Annie on Glucosamine for Dogs with Chondroitin & MSM Liquid Hip & Joint Supplement For Maximum Nutrient Absorption Compared to Chewables ♥ Prevent Poor Joint Health & Renew Older Dogs Aching Joints ♥ 100% Money Back GUARANTEE ♥ Made in USA ♥ Buy Now! (32 oz) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XYY1EI6..._4hI3vbDAVJF1J two days ago.

No idea if it's going to work, but there were some good reviews. Must not taste too bad because Annie has licked her bowl since I've started adding a teaspoon over her kibble. Doesn't seem to affect her BG

Craig
      Thanks Craig! Is the glucosamine okay to be giving them? I've read some conflicting reports about it, if it's safe to try I would love to try those supplements! Being a lab, he's kinda heavy, and helping him manage walking like a newborn deer can be a feat. How long has Annie been taking the supplements?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruger_lab View Post
        Thanks Craig! Is the glucosamine okay to be giving them? I've read some conflicting reports about it, if it's safe to try I would love to try those supplements! Being a lab, he's kinda heavy, and helping him manage walking like a newborn deer can be a feat. How long has Annie been taking the supplements?
        I really didn't do much research, just read the reviews & info on Amazon. I'm hoping this will keep Annie moving, but have no idea if this is THE supplement to use. Today is the second day. Her dosage is 2 teaspoons/day, so I'm giving 1 teaspoon per meal. There is a comment on the label to consult your vet if the pup is diabetic, don't know what the concern might be: didn't seem to affect her BG, but I'll keep this comment in mind.

Craig
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I use Nupro Joint & Immunity for Piper. She has been on it for about two years, and it does seem to help. It makes a liver flavored gravy when mixed with water, and she just eats it in her meals: https://www.naturalpetwarehouse.com/...t-Support-5-lb

Dakota gets Dr. Harvey's Ortho-Flex. He is bigger and the Nupro wasn't working as well for him. The Ortho-Flex has anti-inflammatory herbs in it as well, so I would ask your vet before using it in conjunction with an NSAID (if your dog is on one), since it has birch bark. Not sure what "flavor" this is, but Dakota has no problem eating it: https://www.naturalpetwarehouse.com/...upplement-8-oz

As for the food, a/d is mostly liver. If he seems to like it, maybe some liverwurst mixed with his food would entice him to eat?
          Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Originally posted by ceruleanblue View Post
            I use Nupro Joint & Immunity for Piper. She has been on it for about two years, and it does seem to help. It makes a liver flavored gravy when mixed with water, and she just eats it in her meals: https://www.naturalpetwarehouse.com/...t-Support-5-lb

Dakota gets Dr. Harvey's Ortho-Flex. He is bigger and the Nupro wasn't working as well for him. The Ortho-Flex has anti-inflammatory herbs in it as well, so I would ask your vet before using it in conjunction with an NSAID (if your dog is on one), since it has birch bark. Not sure what "flavor" this is, but Dakota has no problem eating it: https://www.naturalpetwarehouse.com/...upplement-8-oz

As for the food, a/d is mostly liver. If he seems to like it, maybe some liverwurst mixed with his food would entice him to eat?

Great suggestion on the liverwurst! I will try some of that with him, wont go to waste, if he doesn't like it, my mother loves it as one of her favorite snacks. Ruger seems to like what you'd find on a cold plate platter lately.

Luckyliy he is not on an NSAID, so I will also look into Dr.Harvey's ortho flex, since he is big. Such a sudden decline in his eating and hips, hope he will make a come back. Did fine at the vet's but even they've noticed how much he has aged. Never realized just how emotionally difficult the senior years are with our friends. First dog, had him since I was in 2nd grade.

Comment

Working...
            X