Sweet Zoe has departed February 18, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Zoe

I'm sorry to hear it Cebe. Hoping she transitions well with her keen smell and hearing. I like the scented ball idea. Maybe a vanilla scent.
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Cebe,

So sorry to read that Zoe is going blind...., be thankful for all the days she had her sight..

Barb
      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Cebe,
        So sorry for Zoe's sight problems. I worry about that also. I guess they do ok most of the time. I think it is us that find it so difficult, just one more hurdle. So far, Sissy has one little cataract. You never know
        Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

darn it Cebe, I'm sorry to see this. Cebe is so young. Jenny has adapted well to her blindness but the first month was tough and it does make me sad sometimes.

She was outside barking up a storm this morning. There was skunk smell in the air so she must've known one was nearby.

but darn.

Judi
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I love the idea of a scented ball, and I will give it a try. But, so far, she's able to pick out the ball without any scent help. Still sounds like a fun game.

Tara, you did so much for Ruby, and I wish you wouldn't second guess your decisions. Thank you so much for your encouraging words.
            Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Sorry to hear about Zoe's eyesight. That is one of my greatest fears for Jake.

Jake
              13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
              At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Sorry to hear that Zoe lost her sight... I hope your able to get some rest and catch up time soon.
                Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Happy to see you post! Been thinking about Zoe and wondering how she has been doing. Know you were quite busy but am hoping all is going well with you both!
                  Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Oh me too! I have been thinking aboutZoe and Cebe also a lot these last few days. I hope no news is good news?

Tara
                    Tara in honor of Ruby.
                    She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                    Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Hi guys! Thanks for asking! The reason I've been so absent is because I've been so busy - completely overwhelmed at the office. And there's nothing to report with Zoe. She's probably 80% blind, but she's adjusting. I haven't done a lick of testing on her in a while. Isn't that awful? But, she seems good as far as symptoms of high/low sugar.

She is still suffering from allergies, and I think it's a combination of things- a mild, but persistent flea issue that I just don't have the time to tackle right at the moment; getting into the cat food - discovered this the other day; and not getting the right food. But, she's doing ok otherwise, and as soon as my roommate moves out, which I expect later this fall, I think I'll be able to keep her away from the cat's dishes and handle the flea issue, which I hope will get her a little more comfortable. If I can eliminate those, then I can see a clearer path on her food. Poor dog. I've been so busy that she has really been neglected.
                      Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Hey Cebe,
                        Wondered where you and Zoe have been. So sorry about her loss of sight. Hopefully she will adjust, but it is so sad. Wow, understand busy, hope things even out for you. Nice to see you again
                        Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

It's good to know that Zoe has been keeping you busy with her exploits!

Natalie

Comment

Hello all! It's been a while! I wanted to give a little update on Zoe. She's still with me for the time being but she's got a tumor. She's 12 years old now and is really creaky. She has been having difficulty with her back legs such that I have to support them some of the time.

Her diabetes has been fairly well regulated until now. She not eating as much and I've been pulling back in her dose but I'm afraid she's a hot mess when it comes to regulation. I had been weighing her food which helped me keep her numbers tight but now it's all over the place. Any advice dealing with a sick (dying) dog with diabetes?

The vet put her on gabapenten which has been great because she seems to walk more independently and is a little happier.

I'm full of many emotions when it comes to Zoe. I'm happy for the time I've had with her. I'm sad she's suffering and that I'm going to lose her. I'm determined to make sure she's cared for well for the next few weeks and I'm anticipating what's coming. Right now, I'm in "nurse mode" which means my more determined side is dominating.

Comment

Awe, Cebe, I'm sorry to hear about Zoe having a tumor. It's tough to watch them age - but adding a tumor to the mix sure makes it all that more difficult.

I'm not sure where the tumor is, or how long it's been impacting her overall health, but I've heard from some folks that depending on the tumor, sometimes steroids can help. Not ideal with diabetes in the mix, but as long as you are home testing you'll know where her bg stands and how to increase the insulin to combat the higher bg. Increased hunger and thirst are also side effects of using steroids in dogs. Maybe the increased hunger would be a good thing?

Tramadol can also be used with both gabapentin and steroids (prednisone). It's more pain relief based rather that neuro or inflammation relief based.

When we knew Decker's time was limited - the diabetes really took a back burner. We were home testing and knew his patterns/trends well enough that we felt comfortable giving him a bone to chew on at times (just learned, through home testing, what time to give it to him so it would have the least impact on his bg). We also indulged him in forbidden treats from time to time. He loved his bones and treats - there came a point those mattered more than worrying about bg ranges.

The things I remember most - we took lots of pictures. Decker was a vocal boy - so we took videos too -so we would always have a way to hear his 'voice'. Bought a kit from a craft store and made a paw print imprint so we had something to keep. There are a wide variety of options for the kits (just google 'dog paw print kits'). Lots and lots of love -Many nights I fell asleep on the floor laying next to him.

Our 'pup' (who is now three) is a lab/shepherd mix. He's the most loving and loyal dog I've ever had. Wishing you lots of quality time together for whatever time she may have left. Hugs to you and Zoe.
                              Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

what you have done with zoes diabetes is just amazing never gave up and got her regulated

jesse cousin scooter was able to take steroids and got another good year as holli suggested

regulation maybe more reactionary and maybe a bit of r may help but it depends how far you want to take it as far as regulation

good vibrations to you and zoe
                                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
                                X