Jake passed away November 12, 2016 at 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jake

Question about doing a curve. I've been using fast acting H with Jake. Should I do a curve with or without using the H? I did one yesterday using the H, but then got to thinking maybe I should stop the H to get a true picture?

Jake
    13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
    At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

If it's something you're consistently adding everyday, then I'd consider it part of the routine and therefore the normal curve.

If it's just for correction, then I'd go 3-5 days without the H to see what the true pattern looks like without the Humalog and curve the results. Then you'll know what to tweak to level out Jake's numbers without the Humalog.
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I've been meaning to find your thread to ask about how Jake is doing on the 4Health food. Which formula is he eating now?
        Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Mandy, so far I think the 4health will work. He had no problems changing over to it. I bought the Salmon and Potato Formula. I'm worried about the potato in it. I thought I had read somewhere that it is sweet potato, but the bag doesn't say. I need to get these numbers down some. I think I might up the morning N to 21 units. Any comments, recommendations are welcome!! He has been on this food for two weeks now.

I did a curve yesterday, Saturday
          6 am 180 food and shot 20 units N 1 unti H
          8am 270
          10am 325
          12:30 258
          2:30 210
          4:15 236
          6pm 264 food and shot 21 units N
          8 229
          10pm 319 2 units of H
          Sunday
          6am 227 food and shot 20 units N 1 unit H
          12 noon 206

Jake

Comment

It's nice and flat. Looks like you could up the fast acting insulin first and see how that changes the curve since you still have a pretty big post-meal sugar spike. Then, if all still too high, you could up the NPH. I wouldn't change either one by more than 1 unit. Sometimes a little goes a long way.

Natalie

Comment

Glad the food change went well! The one I want to switch our dogs to is Diamond Naturals, and Diamond makes the 4Health foods, so their formulas are fairly similar. I'm going to be using the 4Health canned food, and thought about using the dry as well, but since Tractor Supply is the only store that sells it, I was worried about not being able to get it if they were sold out for a while (the canned food is just a topper we've always given them).

I'm definitely not an expert, but I was thinking along the same lines as Natalie with your curve.
              Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Thanks Natalie and Mandy. I'll try upping the H and see how it goes.

Jake

Comment

Hi Linda, I agree with Natalie about upping the H with the meal. I would start with 1/2 unit to see where that brings you at the 3 hrs. out from food/ shot.

It's nice that he is so flat. It makes working with the H that much easier. I always needed to factor in if I gave too much humalog, even though she would be at a nice 3 hr. number she would continue to drop, made it kind of dicey.

I hope the family is doing well, especially those little ones.

Tara
                  Tara in honor of Ruby.
                  She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                  Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

I forgot to tell DH about the increase in H and he does the morning shots. Will start tomorrow.

I hope the family is doing well, especially those little ones.
                    Tara, the family is fine. Somewhere I must of mentioned grandkids and gave people the wrong idea that they were my kids. My baby will be 39 on the 14th!!

On a side, my grandson's genetic testing came back. He is not type 1 or 2 diabetic. They also tested the most common forms of Mody, 2 and 3 and they were negative. Report says there is a variant gene activity that seems to be a genetic mutation. So, more testing. My daughter signed up with The University of Chicago Kovler Diabetes Center. They will be testing her to see if she is a true type 1 or Mody. Most likely Mody because of her son being some form of one.

Jake

Comment

I love the updates you've been giving on your grandson, Linda. I wasn't tracking Mody before at all.
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I have a question. Would you rather deal with a mountain curve or a bowl curve. Jake has a bowl curve on the Taste of the Wild food, and a mountain curve on the 4Health food. With this mountain curve, I've needed to give him more fast acting H. I'm up to 2 1/2 units am and pm . I've kept his N the same.

Jake

Comment

I prefer the "mountain" shape. Probably because that's what Annie normally presents. I also use a bit of fast acting insulin (Novolin-R in our case) to counter the post meal mountain. My theory is if she had a low fasting number, I'd just omit the "R" for that injection and she would naturally rise back into the desired range. I'd be concerned if a pup had a low fasting reading, and normally dropped into a bowl shaped curve?

Same here: I keep the "N" constant, but vary the "R" as needed from none to 3/4 unit (only go to a full unit if she had a fasting above 350ish). Of course Annie is smaller than your pup.

Craig
                          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hi Linda,

I prefer the mountain shape as well, and Abby has both. If she is high, she will lower, and if she is low she will raise.

If he raises too much, fiber can help tame that raise, instead of the insulin. It takes some work, but I believe it can be achieved.

Barb
                            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

I would much prefer a mountain shaped curve as well. With seeing the lowest levels being the fastings it would be easier to make insulin adjustments as well as safer without the worry of dropping too low at some point during the day ( night ).

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. I was concerned because of how much additional fast acting I have to give and never sure if it will be enough or too much. Jake is one of those that does his own thing. Some days great numbers and then there are "those" days! I have both foods and Jazzy can eat whatever I don't feed Jake. Guess I'll go through his diary and study the numbers.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                                X