Need help with cat urinalysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with cat urinalysis

I was hoping someone could help me interpret these results. My foster Moo has been peeing in the litter box maybe 2 times in 5 mins, varying size clumps. I've brought him to the vet twice in 2 weeks and he was on clavamox for a possible uti. No testing other than a physical exam. I was just able to successfully gather some pee after much work. I'm getting different responses from the vets. The last one said to take him in fir a cysto or X-rays. He's behaving and eating normally. Even perkier than before. I really dint wanna keep dragging him back and forth if I'm just overreacting (which is not out if character'for me).

I have the urinalysis strips so tested him just now and here are the results.

Glu-0
    Bil-neg
    Ket-neg
    SG-1.015
    Blood-neg
    Ph-7.5
    Uro-0.2
    Nit-neg
    Pro-neg
    Leu-moderate
    I'm Debbie and Nibbles is a 16yo beagle mix ~ Diagnosed in Feb. 2011 with Diabetes and Cushings ~ Currently at 11 units Humulin N ~ Eating Wellness canned food.

Re: Need help with cat urinalysis

I miss your posts Debbie, and I hope everything is ok. Would much rather err on the side of worrying too much vs not enough. Must admit that I am very impressed with you being able to collect urine from a cat. I would not even know where to begin trying to achieve that one - LOL!

I have no idea what those values mean but did find a couple of links that might help:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet...urinalysis/406

http://www.cat-world.com.au/urinalysis

Let us know how everything turns out.
    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Thanks holli. Yes everything is perfect. I took him into my trusted vet and had a urinalysis done and everything was a ok!

These animals are still killing me.
      I'm Debbie and Nibbles is a 16yo beagle mix ~ Diagnosed in Feb. 2011 with Diabetes and Cushings ~ Currently at 11 units Humulin N ~ Eating Wellness canned food.

Comment

great news! I can't figure out how you got a urine sample either. But you are one crazy determined woman! and the animals are so lucky to have you!
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Debbie... glad it was good news.... Perhaps your kitty just LOVES it's litter box... likes spending some time in there, peeing!!

Barb
          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Glad to hear all is well.
            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Well, since inquiring minds want to know...

A few weeks ago, Moo, the one who had the abcess from the bite wound, kept peeling in his box every few minutes. The natural thing to do is google, of course, so off I went and freaked that it could be a uti or blockage. So I took him to the vet that is free with the foster program and they put him on clavamox for 10 days. They didn't test his urine, just kinda calm visit. Then brought him for the followup visit and had another vet who freaked me out saying it could be anything, drawing diagrams of his bladder with a stone in it floating around, etc. they can't do extensive testing there so she gave me this plastic litter to get a sample of urine. I put it in the box and he wouldn't pee.

I called my vet and got him in. In the mean time, I tried gravel for a fish tank, then, Saran Wrap over the box. And nothing! So I piled a tiny little mountain of litter in the box and camped out waiting. Finally, he peed!!! So, I pounced and shooed him out of the box and grabbed the syringe and sucked and sucked until I got enough. Joey got some strips and we tested away!

But, it was all unnecessary and I put him through hell but at least hes healthy.

Comment

Glad all is well....Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone...Have been there trying to get a cat urine sample. (I have five of my own.) Can remember a time with the fun of trying to figure out which one was missing the litter box..oh, my!! Am involved with ferals as well, have four of them that come around regularly. Almost time to put away the winter shelters and the heated water bowl..yippee!

Comment

Working...
                X