Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Jenny Diabetic & Cushings Poodle

Oh Judy, I'm so sorry to hear this. You're a great mom and did everything possible for your Jenny.

My condolences, thoughts and prayers are with you & yours today, and Godspeed to Jenny.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Jenny Diabetic & Cushings Poodle

thanks again everyone. I'm sorry I'm not responding individually. I'll think I'm maintaining and then read your kind words and get emotional.

I try to remember Jesse's girl's take on life and loss and enjoying the moment. That helped alot this weekend. And Jenny loved getting some fried hamburger as an appetizer to her meals.

I had her so treated out that she turned her nose up at some duck jerky on the way to the vet.

You've all been such a blessing to me. Other people don't always understand. I thank each and every one of you.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:09 PM

Oh no Judy. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Jenny was a great, strong girl. You helped me and nibbles through so much wish I knew more to say but, I'm just so sorry. It's cliche-but you did all you could and gave her everything she needed and wanted. She can frolic with Casey and nibbles now. Take care of yourself.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Jenny Diabetic & Cushings Poodle is an Angel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi View Post

06-14-2011

My poodle Jenny was diagnosed 3 weeks ago, in January she tested negative. Her blood sugar has consistently stayed in the 400-500 range.

My vet wants me to keep her on the Hills W/D. I asked him about the Blue Buffalo or an Ultra food I was referred to and he told me too much protein could make her kidneys shut down.

Right now she eats the w/d so we are back on it. I have been varying her food since I had purchased a bunch of others to try. I think this has contributed to her insulin not doing the job. We are currently at 3 units twice a day.

has anyone else ever heard that too much protein can make their kidneys shut down? I'm gonna stick with the w/d for her. My other poodle hates all of the canned food. He is not diabetic but getting him to eat when she is has been a challenge. We can't leave it out or she will eat it all then puke and i worry about low blood sugar if she pukes it all up.

sorry about the long first post. Judi
Oh Judi... I'm shocked and so very sad to learn of Jenny's passing. It is hard with these "ultimate survivor" dogs when their bodies just won't let them continue any more. It sounds like you did this process exactly right.

Just thought I'd repost your first one, more than three years ago when all of this was new to you, above... Jenny is an institution around here and I know we will all miss her.

I was very sad about the dog who died on the railroad tracks, in part because she was young and had been surrendered to the vet hospital and adopted by a vet student. She was finally truly loved and it seemed brutally unfair to me for her to have so little time.

Jenny was so very lucky to be so beloved and cherished and carefully cared for throughout her life.

Sending a kiss skyward to Jenny and a hug to you,

Natalie
Old 11-10-2014, 02:43 PM

Awe Judy, so sorry to hear of Jenny,s passing. I guess it was her time. They seem to reach old age gracefully then little by little they fight the small battles. Then let us know its time to say goodbye.

You did great with her Judi. Thinking of you love mo and riliey.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:40 PM

Oh Judi, I'm so sorry to hear about Jenny. She was such a fighter. You did so good with her and all of her challenges. You were lucky to have each other.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Judi,
I'm so sad to read this. I wish these pups of ours lived longer. Your diva forever captured my heart. She truly was one of "ours." And, she (and her antics) will be missed by all!
Lifting you up,
Patty
Old 11-10-2014, 08:39 PM
Founding Member

Thanks you guys. You are all the reason we had more time with her. The house seems empty tonight but spunky Jenny was gone so I feel ok about the timing. It is just so final
Old 11-10-2014, 09:16 PM

I'm so sorry to read about Jenny's passing. You and Jenny have been so helpful to me and Cooper during our journey with this disease. We are sending prayers and good thoughts your way
Old 11-10-2014, 09:19 PM

Oh Judi, I'm so sorry your little Jenny has crossed the rainbow bridge. It's obvious how much she was loved. May your memories help bring you peace.

Laura
Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years