Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:37 PM

Default premeal insulin dosage

Hello, Does anyone administer insulin 15 minutes or so before a meal to their dog?? My Alex's BG jumps up about 100 points within the first few hours after eating and often comes down below his starting point at the end of the day. His curves look like it would be helpful to give him insulin prior to eating to match the spike of food and the spike of insulin better. He is an excellent eater and have never had a problem with him not eating. Thanks Deb
Old 01-12-2015, 01:51 PM

Default Re: premeal insulin dosage

No i dont. I always test first at fasting, feed then inject right after eating. I wont risk him not eating then run into problems that i need to fix.

can you post a recent curve please so we can help you more?
what food is he eating and how much
what insulin and how much

thanks

stay warm its getting cooool again
Old 01-12-2015, 02:14 PM
Founding Member

hi and welcome

some do it .

it is a bit risky because there is no guarantee but i inject my jesse while she eats

my thought is to add a fast acting insulin at meal time . r insulin gets going in a half hour and maybe lasts 4 to 6 hours . i prefer this because you can give it after meal even a bit later with your normal insulin but you do need to be positive that spike occurs day in and day out

just giving the shot later may not make any difference . my jesse spikes when she is lower its just how her body responds to the injection . if she higher she actually will drop

a 100 point spike is quite normal . i understand its frustrating but there maybe nothing to do about it and over time it may get smaller

sometimes adding a specific type of food can help but that takes some experimentation
Old 01-12-2015, 03:36 PM

Hi and Welcome!
We don't inject first, although we've never had problems getting Vinny to eat! I've just always felt it was unwise for us. Vinny's BG does go up first, then down...he used to have this 's' curve going, but lately it's all been rather flat. Time changes things around here!

How long ago was Alex diagnosed? Are you still tweeking the dosage? We continually tweek...nothing stays the same around here for very long. Vinny likes to keep us on our toes!

Welcome again!
Mel and Vinny
Old 01-12-2015, 04:42 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Sounds like your Alex, and my Annie, have the same response to food / insulin. I tried injecting 15 minutes before meals, but it didn't seem to make any noticeable difference. I thought about going 30-45 early, but that just wouldn't fit our schedule well.

You didn't state what insulin you are using, but I've been mixing a small amount of Novolin-R (faster acting insulin) with her Novolin-N (intermediate acting insulin) for years. The Novolin-R can be adjusted to prevent the big post meal BG rise.

Tell us more about Alex. Weight, type of insulin, insulin dosage. We like to get to know "our" pups

Craig
Old 01-12-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Sounds like your Alex, and my Annie, have the same response to food / insulin. I tried injecting 15 minutes before meals, but it didn't seem to make any noticeable difference. I thought about going 30-45 early, but that just wouldn't fit our schedule well.

You didn't state what insulin you are using, but I've been mixing a small amount of Novolin-R (faster acting insulin) with her Novolin-N (intermediate acting insulin) for years. The Novolin-R can be adjusted to prevent the big post meal BG rise.

Tell us more about Alex. Weight, type of insulin, insulin dosage. We like to get to know "our" pups

Craig
Thanks for all your replys...I really appreciate it. Alex was diagnosed in November and has been on insulin and Hills WD since then. I am this week transitioning him off of WD to a healthier diet and am putting him on Orijen dry fish flavor. My first day off from work is Thurs. and Im hoping to get him totally switched over when I can be home with him all day. He is on Prozinc insulin that I get thru my vet and gets a scant 2 units twice a day. He is a 17 lb terrier mix. When I get him adjusted to his new diet I will certainly post a curve and welcome any advice. Has anyone had any luck with Benefiber getting the food to last a bit longer to help keep his numbers up at the end of the day?
Old 01-12-2015, 05:58 PM

Welcome to you and Alex. A word of caution - Orijen is really high in protein and many have experienced problems with high protein food. A change to high protein diet can give really high fasting numbers and wild swings. Just don't be shocked if the numbers go pretty crazy. Also, the fat level is a bit high and diabetic dogs are very prone to pancreatitis. I think sometimes those higher protein foods are difficult on the pancreas.

Diabetes really needs some complex carb sources to balance with insulin. My dog never could eat wd - she refused it. I tried all kinds of foods - prescription and premium. I even tried one of the Orijen foods - like the senior one, she turned her nose up at it as well. I finally settled on her current food - it is low glycemic and a difficult balance as well. I have to prop it up but with her history of pancreatitis and pickiness, I just try to work her out a schedule to keep her in a safe range. I know people don't love the ingredients in wd but it works well with injectable insulin and is a good option if your dog will eat it.

I will be interested to see how your dog reacts to Orijen. Every dog is different and we have had dogs who do fine with high protein food and practically every other diet imaginable.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:34 PM

I've heard prozinc does a good job with cats, but not many dogs use it. I'm hopping someone with the "scoop" will join in.

Craig
Old 01-12-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydunn19 View Post
Welcome to you and Alex. A word of caution - Orijen is really high in protein and many have experienced problems with high protein food. A change to high protein diet can give really high fasting numbers and wild swings. Just don't be shocked if the numbers go pretty crazy. Also, the fat level is a bit high and diabetic dogs are very prone to pancreatitis. I think sometimes those higher protein foods are difficult on the pancreas.

Diabetes really needs some complex carb sources to balance with insulin. My dog never could eat wd - she refused it. I tried all kinds of foods - prescription and premium. I even tried one of the Orijen foods - like the senior one, she turned her nose up at it as well. I finally settled on her current food - it is low glycemic and a difficult balance as well. I have to prop it up but with her history of pancreatitis and pickiness, I just try to work her out a schedule to keep her in a safe range. I know people don't love the ingredients in wd but it works well with injectable insulin and is a good option if your dog will eat it.

I will be interested to see how your dog reacts to Orijen. Every dog is different and we have had dogs who do fine with high protein food and practically every other diet imaginable.
Thanks for the reply. I am hoping the Orijin works with him. I also saw your dog food, Nutrisca which also gets great reviews. I believe Nutrisca was around 32% protein and Orijin is 38% so they are pretty close to each other.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
I've heard prozinc does a good job with cats, but not many dogs use it. I'm hopping someone with the "scoop" will join in.

Craig

I just looked up Prozinc and even on their website they only talk about using it with Cats??? What have other people gotten from their vets for dogs other than Prozinc? Thanks for pointing that out Craig I appreciate it