Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:08 AM

Default Re: New and pretty overwhelmed

Hi,
I haven't been around here in ages and your posts caught my eye, both this one and your food question.

First, you will get the hang of the shots, both you and your pup. I know it's a crazy time in the beginning, but you can do this. There are videos on here somewhere...can't remember where exactly...that really helped us figure out how and where to inject. I do know that for us, we have to be consistent in the location, or his absorption/effectiveness of the insulin can vary.

My schnauzer is on Vetsulin, twice a day, since diagnosis, March 2015. We also feed him the WD food, which works great with the Vetsulin, for us.

He also has high triglycerides and takes a fish oil pill twice a day to help with that. He still has his eyesight, which his internal medicine vet says is a miracle.

We do hometesting with the Alphatrak 2 Pet meter. I'd be lost without being able to home test his blood glucose.
Hang in there!
Dasani, Miniature Schnauzer 13 yrs old - Diagnosed Diabetic 3/21/15 - 22 pounds - 9 units Vetsulin 2X a day - Feed a mix of W/D and Solid Gold Wee Bit. Fish oil pearl supplement twice a day to help with high triglycerides.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:30 PM

Can I ask how you give the fish oil? The pills are huge and my dog can't/won't swallow them, and when we opened them and poured them on his food, he refused to eat the food.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:32 PM

Hi,
I buy the Nature Made 500mg Fish Oil Pearls. They are smaller and my little guy just eats it. Maybe these would work better than the larger ones?

Wishing you luck with all of this!!
Dasani, Miniature Schnauzer 13 yrs old - Diagnosed Diabetic 3/21/15 - 22 pounds - 9 units Vetsulin 2X a day - Feed a mix of W/D and Solid Gold Wee Bit. Fish oil pearl supplement twice a day to help with high triglycerides.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:05 PM

OK, thanks! I will check that out.

Edit: Found them. Winston didn't notice when I hid it in the canned food and scarfed it down. I think this will work out well.

Last edited by Aggie; 02-22-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:15 PM

Default What is the target blood glucose range?

What do people aim for? As a pre diabetic person, I aim for a range of 80 to 120 at all times. But blood glucose numbers that I am seeing on posts here for dogs are much higher, way higher than would be safe for a person.

Is that just because of the chance of a low? Is it because dogs don't require such control for some reason (I'm thinking the cataract issue indicates they kind of do, and isn't normal for dogs in the low 100 range?). Is it just because it's impossible to tightly control this in dogs?

How often is your dog tested by the vet? Do you also test at home with a meter?

Lots of questions, I know. We are one week in as of today.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:35 PM

Default Re: What is the target blood glucose range?

I am only 2 months into this stuff with my dog. I did go out and purchase a meter from Walmart and strips. I try to test her before I give insulin. Sometimes that does not work well, but I try. I also tested my meter to the one that the vet uses and it was 30 points lower than theirs. Keeping that in mind Shana always testes between the 60 to 100 range and I have seen no episodes of low blood sugar. I really try to keep her on a 12 hour schedule and the exact amount of food, and no snack in-between. With this strict regiment I feel very successful in her management. It took almost a month to get her to the level we are right now. Keep it constant and you will have success. I test in the ear that seems to work well with her and me. Carol
Old 02-22-2017, 01:38 PM
Founding Member

100 to 250 for jesse many are perfectly happy with 150 to 250

many times the reason for higher sugar is dogs arent that stable maybe its the insulin they use and how its processed . their metabolism has a big affect like exercise and excitement which can drop sugar dramatically

its rare to see what looks like normal sugar but my jesse goes through times when her sugar is very good and we are having one of those periods now maybe 80 to 180 . Another factor is how stable sugar is i think numbers less than a 100 from low to high for the day is excellent and very stable . 200 is still ok but anything above 200 sugar isnt very stable

jesses vet hasn't tested her sugar in 6 years and i dont have them involved with her diabetes.we haven't done a complete curve in 5 years but we test 3 times every day sometimes more depending if sugar is out of whack . i consider myself the fore most expert on my jesses diabetes and i believe all caretakers should consider being an expert for there individual dogs diabetes

now the more you put into it the better opportunity you will have for better more stable sugar
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Old 02-22-2017, 01:50 PM

Hi, Aggie. Don't worry about the questions, as we all had them and still have them from time to time. The range for a dog, according to my vet is 250-80, with optimum being in the 100's. However, there are some dogs who are different and their normal may run a little higher. As for testing at the vet, we only do when we have a six month checkup or if he's having a problem, such as bladder infection, which is very common in diabetic dogs. When he's tested at the vet, it's usually just with a urine dip stick, unless it's time for six month bloodwork.

I feel it's very important to home test at home. It may take some getting used to, but it soon becomes part of the normal daily routine. In the regulation phase, it's normal to test more than a couple times a day. I always test before each meal, and generally mid-day (but not always mid-day). I started out home testing right away with the Alphatrak2 meter. The meter starter kit is not that expensive, but the strips are rather costly. I have now switched to the Advocate Pettest meter, where the strips are half the cost. I use my Alphatrak as a backup and double check to the Advocate meter if I get what I think is an off number. Testing at the vet every time becomes costly and unnecessary. Since you are pre-diabetic, do you go to the doctor every time you check your sugar?

I test my little dog on his elbow callus just about the back of his paw pad. It's easy to get blooddrop from him and doesn't hurt him. Some use the inner upper lip or ear, but I feel for my dog, it would hurt him more and he might not cooperate. There are videos online to show you how, but you should ask your vet. I am blessed that my Gus cooperates on his testing and his shots. In the beginning, I was the problem and I was very stressed about it all - overwhelmed. Hope all this helps. I'm sure others will chime in. A lot of good support and knowledge here and I was so glad to find this forum. It gave me the knowledge and helped me to discuss with my vet.
10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016
Old 02-22-2017, 01:57 PM

When I first started out here I read posts for hours. This is a wonderful spot for new beginners in the pet diabetic area.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:28 PM

I'm confused what and where an elbow callus is. Do you mean the pad where the dewclaw is? Because I can't see anything on his elbow which I would call a callus?

I do all my own testing for my own pre diabetes with my meter and get a lab test once every 6 months. Since I don't have a diabetes diagnosis, I pay for my strips out of pocket. They are expensive but after 4 years, I kind of know what to eat and what not to so I don't have to test very often any more.

I don't think Winston will react well to this procedure unless it is actually painless. Since I test myself in the finger, it is not painless. So if it comes down to it, I'd like to know the best place to test him. The lip sounds like it would be pretty painful to me.