Yuki has crossed the bridge Dec 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Questions about Yuki

Low cortisol would make him feel pretty crappy and would explain not wanting to eat. Have they measured his cortisol production?

In his later years, Chris' appetite varied a lot from day to day and he also would quit eating something and we would have to switch to something else.

I just used a very general guide that was developed over time. As Jesse Girl said, our dog could get about half his normal dose of insulin if he ate nothing. So I would adjust his dose based on how much of his normal meal he ate or give half the dose if he skipped a meal.

In terms of changing foods, I kept the calories the same, which often meant quite different quantities of food. Some prepared foods have a lot more calories per cup than others. Keeping the calories the same helped keep the dose more or less the same.

Natalie

Comment

• Yuki has crossed over to the Rainbow Bridge

My heart is crushed - Yukon formed a lump in the pallet of his mouth a couple months ago and it quickly grew. Tonight we made the decision to let him cross over to the Rainbow Bridge and feel no pain or suffering anymore.

I am sitting in my house looking at all the bowls, toys and items that have been collected for almost 16 years and it just breaks my heart. He was a one of a kind dog - the best dog I ever had.

Thank you all for taking the time to help with the Diabetes - I was able to help him in every ailment he had besides the cancer :-(
      15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

Sorry for your loss. You did everything in your control and im sure Yukon knows it also.

Comment

You did a wonderful job managing this disease for Yukon . Its not an easy thing to do especially for an older dog to begin with . You gave your dog the chance to live a long happy dogs life even with a dangerous disease .

I enjoyed your posts and Yukons adventure though this challenge we call K9 diabetes and how you figured it out . Not an easy task .
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss. You did all within your power for the sweet guy. He will always be with you in your heart.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Comment

run free Yuki roll in the snow and play
              Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
              20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I'm so sorry. It's hard but they bring us so much joy RIP Yuki
                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thanks to all of you. It has been so hard the last 5 days - the house is so empty and I am so used to our insulin routine and every other need I was more than welcome to do for my baby. I know he is in a better place pain free.

I made Yukon a promise that I would walk our golf cart ride of a mile around the island we live on every day until his 16th birthday January 9th, and maybe longer (we live in Michigan).

I miss my baby so much - there is such a hole in my heart :-(

Please take care of your babies - they are sooooo worth it!
                  Last edited by YukiesMom; 12-07-2020, 06:10 PM. Reason: wanted to add more
                  15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

• Re: Yuki as crossed the bridge Dec 2020

Damn... such a sad time for so many. I hate cancer. That’s what took our diabetic dog too. I am so sad to learn that Yuki has passed. He was beloved though and that meant so much to him. He was blessed to have you in his life.

Natalie

Comment

• Re: Yuki has crossed the bridge Dec 2020

So sorry. You did a wonderful and loving job taking care of your beautiful Yuki.
                      Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                      Diabetes: Aug 2013
                      Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                      Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

It’s been a while since I have stopped in over here on K9D, and I’m so very sorry today to read about your loss of Yuki. As everyone has said, you worked so hard to give him the best possible life. Given all his health problems, I think you did an amazing job of keeping him safe and so well cared for.

As you say, given how much of your own life you devoted to Yukon, I surely understand why your days seem so different and so empty now. When we love them so much, our own worlds are changed completely when they’re gone. I think your promise to Yukon about walking around the island is very touching. It’s a good thing to do for your own health, and it’ll also grant you that special time each day to honor Yukie, and the life and love you shared together.

Do take good care of yourself now. And best wishes from me and the folks on K9C, always in loving memory of your dear boy.

Marianne

Comment

Thank you everyone so much for your support it's been two weeks tomorrow and I just cannot get used to this routine without him.

We form such a special bond with our dogs that are diabetic. It really hurts me every day around his insulin time to know I don't have to give any more.

When he was first diagnosed I thought oh gosh this is a new thing for me and it's a lot of work but now I sit back and think I really miss lots of work.

Taking care of a diabetic dog is the greatest thing I've ever experienced in my life.
                          Last edited by YukiesMom; 12-15-2020, 06:52 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                          X