Help! Diabetic dog is sick/not eating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Diabetic dog is sick/not eating

Hello. . Just to note my vet office is closed today but I do plan on calling tomorrow, or an emergency vet if needed.

My 12 yo lab has diabetes. We've gotten it pretty well regulated however our pup has not been feeling well over the past 24 hrs. We feed her and give her insulin at 7am/7pm. Yesterday morning we fed her, which she ate and gave her the insulin as usual, but she threw up shortly after and a couple more times after.. When it came to dinner time she wouldn't eat so we did not give her the insulin as we were told not to give insulin if the dog doesn't eat. She threw up more overnight and was given some rice in the am but also would not eat again.. so we did not give insulin.

Any recommendations on what to do/give would be appreciated!

I was thinking maybe pedialyte but have read mixed reviews since she has diabetes...

Re: Help! Diabetic dog is sick/not eating

hello Mshea
    missed your post sorry.
    test after food and wait till hes over 200 to inject. if at 100 no insulin
    when they dont eat give 1/4 of insulin dose, 1/2 eat half
    switching food for a couple of weeks to chicken and rice helps
    when you at the vet pick up some stomach meds like cerenia and a food stimulator and pain pills tramadol for your diaberes kit.
    please let us know how your doing
    mo
    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

One thing that diabetic dogs are prone to is pancreatitis which can be life threatening if it gets severe . If this continues a vet visit is important and test for the disease

Anytime my jesse has an upset belly and or diarrhea I fast her for minimum for 24 hours and fasting is part of treating pancreatitis

I do give a quarter of her normal dose of insulin without food if she does not eat and that has never been a problem for her

hope your pup feels better soon
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thank you so much for the replies and info very helpful! The chicken and rice seem to be helping and have a vet apt scheduled. I wish I would've found this blog when my dog was first dx its very helpful/informative ❤

Comment

goodluck with the vet
          lets us know how your labs doing
          Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
          20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Working...
          X