Carol with questions about newly diagnosed dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carol with questions about newly diagnosed dog

Lol not fun! Haha. Ok then. Will wait and post the curve tomorrow. He isn't dropping from 400.... But tomorrow we will run a 12 hour curve

Comment

Hi all,

I dont know How much longer can me or polo hold up. He's hospitalized as his numbers through the weekend were in the 500s. How many days does it take for them to actually decide they need to change the dosage?

He is taking 4 units of lantus in the morning and 3 at night, eating 80gr of vetlife twice a day.

I'm very frustrated.i called he clinic today and they are not upping his dosage yet. He clearly isn't responding to that dosage. How long are they going to wait?? Does anyone know how long does it usually takes?

Comment

I looked back at your first post where you said your doctor tried an alternative treatment prior to starting insulin. And then the fact that he is on Lantus. To me these are possibly 2 big red flags without reading your entire thread (I'm sorry, I pop in here when I'm on hold forever)

1. diabetic dogs need insulin. they are like type 1 human diabetics, the pancreas no longer produces insulin. they need insulin or will die. So I'm not real confident with your vet.
        2. In my 5 years here I've seen 2 dogs use Lantus as a last ditch effort because nothing else worked. It isn't as long lasting (I don't think) as other types of insulin and I'm concerned that is why your dog isn't responding as well.
        3. why is he hospitalized? Is he lethargic? throwing up? can't walk? throwing off ketones?

The 500's alone shouldn't cause it.

I really really think you need to change vets. It's hard I know. I did it kicking and screaming the entire time. But many vets don't know enough about canine diabetes and I think your vet is one of those.

What exactly is going on right now? is the pancreatitis back? then he probably does need to be hospitalized.

hang in there. Judi
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

The problem is you had some pretty good numbers for a bit

now knowing that you have to be sure about raising the dose above the previous with blood sugar that was in the 100s

what has changed to cause numbers to rise ? if its some sort of illness than that needs to be addressed . a curve needs to be done to make sure all numbers are elevated . my jesse early in her diagnosis could go from 500 to 70 and bac to 500 in 4 hours

a fast acting insulin can be added to lantus as a temporary strategy to get numbers down. this may not be a regulation process and maybe necessary to remove the threat of ketones . dont know if your vet is using something like that or if its available to you
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I have to agree with Judi and I think you need to look hard at the decisions the vet is making. Diabetes is a manageable disease and in my opinion, your vet hasn't tried the things that have worked for tons of dogs for years now. It is really not necessary to reinvent the wheel with treatment.

Lantus is generally a last resort. We may have had one or two dogs who could use it with success but that is out of hundreds of dogs.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Got it. Thank You all!!! Hes hospitalizad because they want To do a curve and figure out that.

There was a change: his food. Before, he was eating just chicken and rice. Now he gets vetlife. On the insulin I don't blame much the vet, that one is pretty common here. But I do blame him on everything else. I'm sorry but I just do. Why the hell are they givin him a fast acting insulin? That's short term.

This is the last straw. I was super reluctant to change vets but I can't keep up like this. I contacted the new vet (one I have only seen once) and I'm taking him there.

Thank you so much for the help!! The "alternative " at he beginning was during the "honeymoon period?" But again, if it's not working then it isn't working. And they are pretty stubborn. I called the new vet, and I'm changing. I can't keep up like this.

Comment

What country in South America do you live in? I know that Eli Lilly and Novo Nordisk have distribution in South America (they make Humulin N and Novolin N which is what many of us in the states use) but the brand names could be different. Vetsulin (the animal insulin), and humulin n and novolin n are all intermediate acting insulins. These seem to work best for dogs but occasionally, other insulin types are needed.

I know it is frustrating but you can figure this out for Polo. Just keep asking questions and finding a vet that has the right experience. We can always help to clarify anything you are questioning. It really is a matter of getting him balanced with food and insulin.
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thank you Amy and all. It would be terrible without this forum. I just don't know who is best to regulate him!!

I live in Colombia. This has been very hard, but at least he is eating....

Thank you so so much to everyone!! This forum is a blessing.

Comment

Hi all,

Finally after 3 days polos bs is lower. He is in the 300s, taking 4 units of lantus in the morning and 3 at night. He was discharged from the hospital.

I was waiting to hear back from the new vet and she got back to me saying she wants to move him to canin insulin. Is anyone familiar with that? She doesn't know that today he was regulated bc he was at the old hospital.

I'm scheduling an appointment with her but wanted to hear your thoughts on that insulin...

Thank you so much to all!!

Comment

• Re: Carol with questions about newly diagnosed dog

Caninsulin is the same product as Vetsulin used in the USA. It is produced as Caninsulin in Canada, UK etc. I have used it on several pugs, and you will find a lot of info on it online.

The one thing that is different about it is that you do NOT gently roll it to mix. You must shake it pretty vigorously before using.

I am not familiar with Lantus at all so cant advise on the difference, but caninsulin is much more popular for dogs and many on here use it.

Comment

The other thing about Caninsulin / Vetsulin is that it is a U-40 insulin and you should use U-40 syringes (human insulins are U-100 and use U-100 syringes). Be SURE the new vet discusses what syringe to use. Generally, you will need to purchase both the Caninsulin and U-40 syringes from the vet and NOT from a standard pharmacy.

In some countries Caninsulin can be bought as a pre filled "pen". These pens might be a little more expensive than the vial + syringe, but could be much easier to use. http://www.caninsulin.com/vetpen/using-vetpen.asp

Craig
                        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thank you both!

I'm still scared to change his insulin but that one is more popular, and at this point is fair we do it.

Nice tip on the syringes ! Luckily I had been buying the others in small amounts.

I talked too soon and they left polo in the hospital. He dropped to 90 AFTER dinner and without any insulin for the last 12 hours. They hadn't even used the fast acting one since Monday. That is very strange. Maybe his 4 unit lantus was too much now that he is starting to settle? No idea. I'm picking him up tomorrow one he is stable (I agreed to leave him there as I will be working all day tomorrow and can't check him too often..). Hopefully the change will be for the best!!!

Thank you so so so much. Good bless you all.

Comment

Carol,
                            If you are nervous about changing his insulin,leave him with maria for the day and let them get him started.
                            You will be getting your meter tomarrow,and,my opinion,lol,you are going to HAVE to test him with these changes... You can do it
                            Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Yeah, I think they are leaving him in anyway just to check his numbers

Yesss so excited about the new meter. I will be using the relion confirm! Lol, thanks for the wishes, testing is still scary! Sometimes it works and some it doesn't ...

The vet tried the pad and couldn't get any blood I have tried too and nothing. Any tips? We massaged and used a 28 g needle. He did not like it at all! But I guess he can get acostumed to that ....

Thank you!!!!!

Comment

Hello Carol! What happen to your doggy is there any good update? Hope he will be okay soon, keep us update about your baby.

Comment

Working...
                                X