• Re: Soaphie the sophisticated!

Happy birthday, Soaphie!

Jake
    13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
    At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Happy Birthday to Soaphie

and, KUDOS to you, mom Tami, for making it happen.
      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Happy birthday, Soaphie!!!!!!
        Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Happy big 15, Soaphie!
          Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Happy belated 15th beautiful Soaphie!

How sweet of her vet practice to send her a birthday card.

Love the selfie stick idea, Tami. Can't wait to see Soaphie pictures.
            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

:0 :0 Belated big 1 5 congrats to Miss Soaphie!! Such a blessing to have that special girl in your life.

Natalie

Comment

Update on Soaphie - no real advice needed - just...well - just sharing...

If Soaphie makes it to Halloween it will be yet another miracle. The last few days have been a struggle to get her to eat anything (eventually getting in about 50% of what she should have). We are going through the entire portfolio of food options. I will be going to All Is Well (specialty pet store) today and getting a multitude of things for her to try. Mobility is also becoming more of an issue - this morning she didn't even stand up when I came down stairs and it took quite a bit of prodding to get her up to go outside....normally I get a nice greeting in the morning (her standing up and rubbing up against me)... needless to say, my heart is breaking.

Here is all we have gone through:

Ultra Sr dry food (then adding water, then trying to warm it)
                Rice (seems to like a little of this)
                Stella & Chewy's (she will eat a little of this)
                Baby food - various (she will eat a little of this)
                Scrambled egg (nope)
                Boiled chicken breast (I thought this would be a winner - nope....)
                Vital Nutrition beef and bison (nope)

*then adding parmesan and/or olive oil to the above items that are a "no"

Tami & Soaph
                Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

With you in spirit, Tami. Can only imagine the stress you guys are under trying to balance out this situation with Soaphie's best interests primary.
                  Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

I hate this so much. tuna?

xoxo
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I'm sure you've thought of this, but now that I'm feeding Annie a mix of kibble and canned food, I microwave the meal for about 35 seconds. Seems to unlock all the delightful smells of the canned food. She perks up a little when it comes out of the microwave, but can't be sure if it's because of the smell, her thought that she is getting tasty human food from the microwave, or just likes hearing the "ding" sound?

During the recent 2-3 weeks when Annie was giving me big trouble eating, her vet prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg (1/2 tablet per day). Some days I cut the tiny pill into 1/4 slivers and gave a piece about an hour prior to each meal time. I would coat the pill sliver in baby food and then let Annie lick it off my finger. I filled the prescription for Mirtazapine at Target.

Craig
                      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

jesse loves yeast flakes

hope you find something that says boy mom thats delicious
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

tried the kibble and canned trick - no go (I think I might have missed putting canned food on the list of things we tried below)

Just got back from All Is Well pet place....bought "one of each of everything" and got some samples as well - mixture of canned food and dry kibble samples. She stated that the canned food is a bit stinky and dogs seem to go crazy for it.

Purchased:
                          Trippett: Green beef tripe and venison, New Zealand green lamb tripe, green beef trip duck and salmon, green beef tripe

Kibble Samples:
                          Fromm: Surf and Turf; Salmon Tunalini; Game Bird Recipe;

Other Samples:
                          The Honest Kitched: Chicken Recipe

The lady also gave me a small can of cat food.

Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Ditto Judy..... Just hate this.
                            Like a knot in the pit of your stomach, getting them to eat.

One of the things I tried is Turkey/Rice/Pumpkin.... warmed. Blood sugar stayed pretty good as well.

Just another thought, if it works for a little bit.

Hugs,
                            Barb
                            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Awe Tami, it's difficult to read that she is struggling. I can't imagine being in your shoes.

Kinser went on a dog food eating strike awhile back. He's been leaking urine for awhile now and I suspect his liver/kidney values are not good. He is due for his wellness check next month and I'm a bit afraid of what they will find.

I ended up buying a bag of frozen skinless salmon (about 10.00 for a 2 pound bag at our local Wal-Mart). I bake a couple of them every couple of days and add cut up pieces into his dry dog food and then add some warm water. My philosophy (completely non-scientific) is that the water helps keep him hydrated and helps mix that yummy salmon-y taste/smell into the dry food. For being non-scientific - it's been working and he eats all of his food just about every day. We had our first snow fall of the year yesterday. Kinser's back legs are not good nor is his overall balance. I'm terrified of what the winter weather is going to do to him this year.

Hugs to you and here is to hoping that something in your 'bag of tricks' is appealing to Miss Soaphie.
                              Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

I thank you all for the ideas - we are willing to try anything!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X