• Show
Clear All

Re: Pheobe, the golden/chow

So her readings so far have been...

832am-258
    938am-467
    126pm-555
    326om-542

If this stay this high should I increase her evening dose to the full 8 units? Or keep it as the 4 u it half dose?

Comment

i would stay with the 8 units and just keep testing
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by Hollyfaucheux View Post
        So her readings so far have been...

832am-258
        938am-467
        126pm-555
        326om-542

If this stay this high should I increase her evening dose to the full 8 units? Or keep it as the 4 u it half dose?
        For a second I thought Pheobe was trying to make a lier out of me when I said she would probably have a lower number this afternoon! Then I read that you had given a 1/2 dose of insulin.

I'm a little curious about the 258 this morning, I would have thought her number would have been higher if that was before ANY insulin injection?

Craig
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Nope that was her first reading before any food or insulin.... I gave her only 4 u its this morning not 8. Should I give her the 8 u its tonight?

Comment

I would give 8 units.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thanks so much!!!

Comment

just to be aware of symptoms of low blood sugar nervousness tail between the legs may develop into a drunken state and can develop into seizures

for jesse if her sugar is low i give her a milk bone smeared with honey

most diabetic dogs will need a sugar boost from time to time depending how tight there regulation is
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

What is the conversion from people meters to dog meters? These were all her numbers yesterday...

Before food 838am-258

938am-467
                  126pm-555
                  346pm-542
                  549pm-549
                  657pm-549

Last night I gave her the 8 units and I think I will probably sticks with that dose for the week at least??? All advise welcome! I love u guys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hollyfaucheux View Post
                    What is the conversion from people meters to dog meters? These were all her numbers yesterday...

Before food 838am-258

938am-467
                    126pm-555
                    346pm-542
                    549pm-549
                    657pm-549

Last night I gave her the 8 units and I think I will probably sticks with that dose for the week at least??? All advise welcome! I love u guys!!!
                    A conversion factor seems to depend on the brand of meter (they aren't all identical) and even the individual box of test strips. What brand meter are you using? An example is that when I'm using the Walmart ReliOn Confirm meter, I usually divide the meter number by 0.65. When I use the Walmart ReliOn Prime meter, I usually divide the meter number by 0.70. There is a bit of slop, especially at high numbers.

I think most folks don't bother too much trying to convert and just go by the meter reading. They use the "error" as a safety margin and just try to get the lowest meter number into the low 100s which might "convert" to about 140-150.

Of course if you want to play / collect meters, you can get an AlphaTrak meter and do your own comparisons! I rotate between several human meters and my AlphaTrak just because it's interesting / fun for me, sort of like my hobby.

Looking forward to see todays readings at 8 units.

Craig
                    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

So far today I tested her 3 times... She is really starting to hate me! Haha, I don't think the actual stick bothers her.. It's more of when I have to squeeze to get the blood out that she doesn't really like. Nor does she like the actual insulin shot! So anyways.. So far..

705am (before food)-229
                      802am (after food)- 378
                      132pm- 261

I also started her on a home cooked diet today of chicken, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and green beans. So I am assuming this really helped!

Comment

looks really good so early into this

congratulations

remember its a marathon not a sprint

Comment

Yes I was pretty happy with her numbers myself! I will keep with the 8 units for a week then do a curve and go from there!

Comment

Nice!

Just remember it's often important for the meals to be as identical as possible. If the contents vary from meal to meal the blood glucose can vary from meal to meal.

If you store your insulin in the refrigerator, it might sting a little if injected cold. I draw in the insulin, then wrap my hand around the barrel of the syringe for maybe 45 seconds. Don't know, but think my body temp warms the insulin so that it doesn't sting. Maybe 1 out of 30 injections Annie will move or twitch. I talk, sing or hum while testing and injecting. Seems to keep both Annie and me calm!

Craig

Comment

How many calories should she be eating? I give her 2 cups of the crockpot chicken, brown rice, sweet potatoe, and green bean receipt... But not sure she is getting to much or to less? Her sugar this morning before food was 199... Is there a possabilty her sugar could be manage with only food? I do realize she is still a little high, but far better then the 400 and 500 she was in!!

Comment

i think what craig was sugesting was to keep the ingredients fairly close in terms of amounts

my jesse also has a homemade diet and i measure out what she gets per ingredients . craig uses a scale i believe for his annie i use measuring cups ( not as exact but close enough for jesse )

there are some sites that give caloric amounts and how much should be fed per size dog i forget the exact ones . with jesse i knew she kind of needed 2 cups of food a day to maintain her weight ( not very scientific ) i watched her weight if it maintained and she wasn't overly hungry during that day i knew she was good

as far as maintaining the disease by diet that doesn't seem to come into play as far as on the forum (havent seen any ) . its either you need injected insulin or not . now it is possible a dog maybe still producing its own insulin . hard to say if pheobe is she is on a fairly low dose for a dog her size but you do know she was quite high without any insulin so she is more than likely diabetic but something to keep an eye on . there are no magic beans out there . its basically a simple process of using injected insulin to keep number in an adequate range . seems like the numbers are coming down keep an eye on them

Comment

Working...
                                X