New Member Dexter - After Holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Dexter - After Holidays

Hi my name is Kathy. Dexter was diagnosed in November. He is a 7yr old Schnauzer. Weight is 26lbs. Still trying to regulate him. Up to 11units on Novolin N. Blood sugar 540 this morning before food. Was throwing up a little during the night, but ate this morning. Started the Novolin at 7units and there has been no movement of numbers they have all been above 350 mostly in the 400. Vet saids we might need to go to Vetsulin because his body might not be using the Novolin properly. Been frustrating seeing a totally heathy dog go to this state in 8 weeks. Has lost 6lbs. Still drinking and urinating to much. But still active and doing his daily functions.

Re: New member Dexter

Welcome Kathy,
    Give a little more info...what do you feed,when do you give insulin...I'm asuming you feed every 12 hrs.
    Does he have any tummy troubles, or was this just a spit up...
    Your insulin dose seems ok.schnauzers can be difficult!!!! There are quite a few members with schnauzers.
    There are lots of things you can do.hang in there. Other members will be along,I'm sure.

Jackie
    Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

He is fed Natural Balance twice a day. Once at 6:30am and 6:30pm Receives 11units Novolin N after each meal. Snack mid day of protein turkey meatball, maybe tuna. Been on Novolin around 6 weeks, we only have 1unit to work with according to his weight. Numbers do not more. Did a curve 4 days ago and they were all in the 400's and up. Like I said Vet thinks we need to change insulin. Was just spit up, not a large amount. But the pour little guy was in full vomit mode, sounded like he was throwing up more than just that small amount. He did eat his morning breakfast and I gave him his insulin.

Comment

hi and welcome

it would take 26 units until your dog would be defined as insulin resistant so at 11 units you have a ways to go with that

Your pups breed does seem to struggle to regulate . seem to need more insulin than other breeds

the reason for it can be high cholesterol and triglycerides maybe thyroid problems and if that is determined to be a problem and subsequent reversal from medication maybe diet which greatly can reduce the amount of insulin and see more stable sugar

so you do want to be sure that your pup has a clean bill of health that can affect regulation if so you just keep methodically raising the dose with complete curves to see if the numbers come down and symptoms subside

A change in insulin may help and give a reset. vetsulin and the human insulin levemir are options

food change maybe helpful but that can be difficult to figure with so many options . there was one pup who went vegetarian for a brief time because of high triglycerides and cholesterol and the dose came down dramatically

6 weeks is not long . my jesse took 6 months to figure what works and maybe a years where i felt completely comfortable ( she was difficult to figure )

You do want to check for ketones . if there high it can be serious . symptoms of that can be signs of just being sick . Pancreatitis is another serious condition with diabetics and vomiting can be a symptom so something to be aware of
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hello and welcome to the best sight for support and information. My gus is a mini-schnauzer and was very difficult to get regulated. It took almost 9 months to find his dose on Novolin. We started out with Vetsulin, and we switched to Novolin after 4-6 weeks. One reason because it wasn't working, and second reason, it was too expensive compared to Novolin. You can do a search for our thread discussion - "Gus the mini-schnauzer", and read our story throughout this last year. His thyroid check was fine, as well as triglycerides. It's just the schnauzer breed, evidently, and for a long time, I was just thrilled to have numbers consistently in the 300-400's instead of the 500's all the time. They are tough boogers to regulate, that's for sure.

We are now at 19 units and he's 21.9 lbs his last checkup. Slowly edged up the dose the first 9 months, doing curves, and giving the insulin change a chance to work, and all of a sudden, he started to respond to the 19 units, and our numbers are in the 100's-200's most times. But, he will still throw me a higher number here and there - 300-400, but with adjustment to his food amount, I can get him back down.

I do believe that the Hills w/d food really works in controlling BG levels. We feed part canned, and part dry. I even count out the dry kibble to insure he gets the same amount each meal instead of weighing and measuring. 1/4 can dry, and 35 dry kibbles of the w/d each meal. I know some disagree with the ingredients, but it's designed for a purpose and it works for that purpose.

If I were you, I'd give the Novolin more of a chance before you make the switch. You are only half as much as your dog can be given. 26 lbs means he can 26 units each shot, not total for the day. Vetsulin is expensive in comparison to Novolin, and Levemir is totally even more expensive. My vet was talking of having to try Levemir, but things started working for us.
          Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
          10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

Happy Holidays and "Thank You All!" It sounds like little Gus and Dexter have some things in common. We upped his insulin on the 10th of December and on about the 15th we noticed the urination and drinking had calmed down. Checked his blood sugar on the 15th and it was in the 165 to 200 range and we were very happy. Around the 22nd we noticed the drinking again and he had a accident in the house. So might up it to 12units twice a day. Im just confused with the upping and seeing results and 10 days later it is back up and the symptoms return. Has this been a normal pattern for you more experience with this disease. Just took his insulin reading at four hours after injection and it is 258, so not bad. Is 200 number seems to be the magic for alleviating the symptoms?

Comment

Originally posted by SchatziDexter12 View Post
              Is 200 number seems to be the magic for alleviating the symptoms?
              i think this is one of those "every dog is different" things. I think my Annie's urination was "under control" even in the 300s, but other damage like cateracts was being done.

I know 7 years ago we were on 7 - 7½ units of Novolin-N and we are now on 9½ - 10 units. Different food and she has gained some weight so that probably makes a difference. Of course old age and being much less active also makes a difference.

Craig
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

For what it's worth, with Mildred's 7 1/2 year journey with diabetes her insulin needs increased over time.
                Her Vet did suggest that it is often the case with long term diabetics.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

There was a time during the "regulation" process that I was happy to have a 300 or 400 number! It took forever to get to 200's and 300's on a consistent basis. I look back over my spreadsheet and curves where we have been and where there was more than one instance where we thought we were there, only to have his body tell me differently. So, with schnauzers, patience and perseverance is the key. I know each dog is different and hopefully yours will soon find it's magic number, but don't be surprised if the dosage ends up being much higher than you think it was going to be. My vet told me not to stress too much about numbers during this process and judge how he was doing with how he was feeling. Even with the higher numbers, he acted much more active than he did before we even knew he was diabetic. Only when numbers stayed in 500s did I really worry. That usually indicated bladder infection since numbers weren't coming down. It takes constant monitoring, and I never take a good BG day for granted because I know that can still change on a dime.
                  Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
                  10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

Increased insulin to 13units twice a day and Dexter responded to it right away. Water drinking and urinating stopped. But five days later on that dose water drinking and urinating starts again. Seems to drink more at night and not as much during the day. Eating normal and has tons of energy. What is this pattern telling me. One Vet saids it is because his body might be destroying that type of insulin. Other Vet saids might have another disease compromising the treatment. The dog seems healthy in every other way. I guess my main question is have you dealt with this pattern, is it common and it is just a matter of upping it till we get a long term result.

Comment

Its difficult to base regulation on just symptoms alone and draw conclusions

from what you are describing i might think your pups blood sugar is having some large swings but like i said without actual blood sugar numbers its just speculation
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

some dogs require a different dose at night vs. during the day because they aren't as active.

some people have stayed up and done an overnight curve to see how the blood sugar actually runs
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

After Holidays

Dexter was doing great on 12units Novolin for three weeks which seems to be the pattern. We up it a unit the drinking and urinating stops. Readings went down to 160, highest 200. Started the urinating in the last couple days again. Tested blood 489. Is this a common pattern until you reach the magic amount of units or is this telling me something. He seems normal in all other ways. Eating well, exercising, interested in things. I guess Ill be upping to 13.

Comment

Re: After Holidays

You can't think of anything else that may have changed? Different food, different amount of food, added a new medication?

Is the pup gaining weight? If gaining weight, might need more insulin?

Craig
                            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Re: New Member Dexter - After Holidays

Mini schnauzers can have significant fluctuations in blood sugar, perhaps partly because of the high triglyceride tendency... but it also seems to occur in some breeds and may be based on some other mechanism. Rotties are another breed where I have seen it happen fairly frequently.

At 26 pounds, you are still quite a long way from an extremely high dose of insulin for his size - still right in the range of what's common of 1/5 to 1/2 unit per pound. And needing more than that is not unusual.

I wouldn't worry about Dexter's dose until it's quite a bit higher. 20 units, which still wouldn't fit the definition of resistant to insulin in general.

Dexter was diagnosed fairly recently. If you caught the diabetes early, he might have retained some insulin-making capability that is gradually failing, requiring more injected insulin.

If something is going on, like some of the insulin isn't being put to good use, you will have a better idea about that after the dose increases some more. Continually bouncing back up despite giving much more insulin, like 25 units per injection, would suggest the possibility of Cushing's disease, especially if he has any visible symptoms of it.

For now, though, I would keep working on the dose in small increments and see how it goes.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                              X