Annie: Diabetic with new Cushings diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annie: Diabetic with new Cushings diagnosis

As a new member, and after reading the info regarding “threads, I still wasn’t sure how to acquire one so I’m jumping in here to start with. I’m hoping someone will read this and either direct or move me to where my mish-mash postings and questions appropriately belong and I will be able to easily find any responses or make postings on a regular basis.

Today, Annie is at the vet having a glucose curve run. As I mentioned somewhere else, I don’t test at home for numerous reasons and I have many questions I know can be answered somewhere here.

I’m already a member of the k9Cushings group and they have been extremely helpful for that part of Annie’s profile. Now I’m finding out just how much I DON’T know about diabetes and especially the nomenclature used in posting. I’m an old dog too and am a bit overly zealous regarding the health of my remaining pup. We will meet briefly with the doc when we pick her up later and I’m hoping that he will approve her for a dental and she is scheduled to have cataract removal surgery in May. With all this in front of me I’m pleading for some guidance on this site. It visually appears to operate the same way as the Cushings site, but in reality, it hasn’t worked the same for me. I have posted a couple of places and have gotten some replies however, I have not had much luck returning to my previous spot because I can’t find it. I am not in any way, shape or form trying to be negative or critical. I’m convinced it’s probably “operator error” on my part but I need your help with my dual diagnosis pup. Thank you in advance for your patience, guidance and learned words of wisdom. Blessings to all. Karen [/SIZE]

Re: Annie: Diabetic with new Cushings diagnosis

Hi and welcome . Yes you want to post on your own thread which you have done . this way you keep all your info in one spot

I understand why you dont want to home test but its the best thing you can do to give your pup a safe happy life with diabetes

ask any questions you like and go through the info on the site . Its quite helpful

Most find the path of a new normal and flow into a routine that works for the individual dog and there unique circumstances
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thanks Jesse. We’re about ready to pick up Annie at the vets and I’ll report back the results and I’ll ask for my own copies of recent tests run earlier this week. I’ll post here later. Karen

Comment

As jessegirl mentioned, home testing is probably the most important thing a diabetic can do. A curve is good for seeing patterns and nadir, but blood sugar changes all the time, maybe not significantly, but every day can be different. Spot checks and fasting sugar is a good way to know what's going on.
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Hi Karen <Waving!!!>

I’m a member here, too, and just saw your postings. I’m so glad you joined here at K9D! I’ll try to keep tabs on your thread here, as well as your thread on K9C, in case some additional Cushing’s discussion comes up. In that vein, I noticed that another one of our “dual” members, Judi, had added a reply to your original posting on the forum here. I don’t know whether or not you had a chance to read her Cushing’s comments, but here’s a link to your original posting. Once you click on it, you’ll be able to scroll up (or down) to read all the replies that were posted to you there, including Judi’s.

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...013#post167013

I’ll continue to watch for you on both forums!
          Marianne

Comment

Hi back Marianne! How nice to see a virtual familiar name. We took Annie to the vet on Thursday for a curve. She has been on 6 units of Novolin for the past week. She started out at 379, bottomed out at 209 about 1:00 pm and her last draw at 5:00 pm was 262. Doc told me it was a great looking curve, just not low enough across the board so he upped her to 7 units.

Now we have a new problem, for the past two days, she has not wanted to eat her breakfast. She is on Glycobalance, one can a day divided between her two meals. Yesterday, I ended up sprinkling some ground up freeze dried chicken breast on top and this morning, I used just a little bit of baby food turkey in broth and she picked around at that for awhile and finally ate everything. I'm scared to death for tomorrow though because it's her Lyso med day. I feel a call to the vet coming on as I type.

I remember seeing some info here regarding loss of appetite, but my big fear is that she may be getting a bit too much Lyso and it has really suppressed her food drive. Annie has never missed a meal in her life, even after bouts of HGE.

I'm going to post this on the Cushing site as well. Take care. Karen

Comment

We've had some dogs that had some type of acid reflux in the morning that made them not want to eat breakfast. Your vet may suggest trying some type of antacid. yay, more pills

Hopefully it isn't her cortisol
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Hi Judi,

The reflux thing didn’t occur to me until you mentioned it. About a year ago,doc told me to give her 1/2 a Zantac when she was having some tummy troubles and I still have some. We ended up taking her in at 3:00pm today and thankfully, OMG—-all her numbers were good. Doc checked her bg and it was only 119 and then he was trying to explain what the electrolyte panel meant regarding the Cushings.

I was crying all the way there and crying the whole time doc was
                talking to me. He knows I’m a crier and gave me a hug and told me that I was doing a good job with Annie—-to which I replied, But i’m not, I don’t feel like I have a good handle on the situation. He had told me earlier through a tearful plea, that as long as she had some “groceries” in her system, even if it took a couple of hours, I could give her insulin.

He said he would set me up soon with one of his techs to teach me how to test Annie’s bg at home. Anyway, I left the clinic still in tears, because my baby was ok, but also with a huge sense of relief that doc understood where my exaggerated concern was coming from.

He also knew that I was scared to death that her cortisol had dropped below range, which it hadn’t as he could tell from her electrolytes. He said to me, “just watch her like I know you always do. If you’re scared it’s ok—I get it and reach out to your support system. ( He’s totally on board with the k9 forums.). Anyway, thanks for listening. Blessings to you all and your beloved pups. Karen

Comment

your vet sounds like a good one. It can be so overwhelming when they have multiple issues. I cried a lot too.

I finally revamped my thinking and just focused on if Jenny was happy. Our goals were to 1. not kill her and 2. keep her fairly happy

It's easy to start obsessing over perfect #'s. You have to be aware and alert and it sounds like you are but I really feel it's important to take a deep breath and love your dog. She knows you love her and are doing everything you absolutely can.

Hang in there. These forums are an excellent place to vent because we get it.

xoxo Judi
                  Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

one other rule a lot of us have followed around here is if she eats half of her meal, give her half her dose of insulin

if she barely eats anything maybe give her 1/4

once you are testing blood sugar that will be easier to do but with each dose of insulin, part of it is to just cover their normal system and part of it is to counteract the food.

Comment

Oh man Judi, you hit the nail on the head!

The goals you mentioned are mine—-I just don’t want to kill my baby.

Comment

Judi—-Well, it’s 10:50 pm in my part of the word and Annie just finished eating less than half of her normal food. She hadn’t eaten since last night and I now have your insulin dosage suggestions burned into my brain. An hour ago, she was still not really moving, so I through caution to the wind and gave her 1.5 units of insulin after reading here about the dangers of ketoacedoses (sp?) After about 20 minutes, and I don’t think I took a breath the entire time, she wanted to go outside. While she was out, I opened a can of food for her and doled out less then half of a regular meal. I didn’t want to overwhelm her little tummy but she just inhaled her food and after about 20 more minutes, I gave her an additional 3.5 units of insulin. She had a total of 5 units of insulin which is 2 units less then normal, but I also gave her less food.

Anyway, now Annie finished a big drink of water and jumped up on the couch and is snoozing peacefully in her favorite spot. After this fret filled day, the baby is fed and asleep, hubby just turned off his light and I’m probably going to be up the rest oof this night reveling in the fact that everyone is ok for right now. Hugs and Blessings to all. Karen

Comment

Aw. This is a real positive step! Give her a kiss from me and try to get some rest. You are doing great! Xo

Comment

Good Morning All, Annie has finally bounced back from her dental. I’m really glad I rescheduled her groom to next week. The less stress the better right now!

I’m now faced with a new problem. I want to keep her newly cleaned choppers clean but I can’t find a canine toothpaste for diabetic dogs that doesn’t have a bunch of artificial everything in it. I know to stay away from anything that has xylitol in it. From what I’ve read, sorbitol is supposed to be ok but that stuff bothers me physically. My doc had nothing to offer and told me to start looking on-line. Any suggestions please? Blessings to you all. Karen

Comment

Zymox puts out some good products and one of them is Oratene brushless oral care toothpaste gel .
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
                              X