Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blood Glucose Problems!

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
    thats a myth that you cant give insulin without food . normally you can give a quarter of the normal dose without food .

i am a bit concerned with the approach your vet has taken . its the opposite of a normal approach to pancreatitis

the initial pancreatitis probably caused the diabetes

might want to get a second opinion

That is good to know. They seemed so concerned about him eating. This is our second internist. Our regular vet has stepped aside and not giving her opinion as the 1st internist changed his insulin from Vetsulin to Novolin N, she was quite upset with the change.
    Jules
    Hunter is a 13 yr old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, 17lbs. Diagnosed a diabetic June 2017. Started Novolin N 10/27/17, 11 units 2x @ 7 & 7. He has Cushings Decease. Crock Pot Diet for Dogs w/no carbs. He's trying hard to beat the odds!

Comment

Originally posted by MomofGus View Post
      I tend to agree with Jesse Girl. You may want a second opinion. Normally, the dogs digestive system needs to "rest" and heal during and after pancreatitis. We recently went through this about 6-7 weeks ago. Usually you withhold food for the first 24 hours, and then feed small amounts until they heal up. Most dogs won't eat during this period and if if they do, it's generally not their regular food. Finding something they will eat and not cause problems is difficult. It took us 2 weeks to get back to our normal food, and normal amounts. We even fed tiny amounts of food through the day for the first few days. And, during the first couple of weeks of his healing time, I had to adjust his insulin amounts, monitor for ketones, and make sure he drank water frequently. He did have to have fluids administered during the first week, and after that, he started to get better.

Here is info on insulin adjustments when not eating:
      Full meal = full insulin
      Half meal = half dose
      1/4 or less meal = 1/4 dose
      The dog can still get 1/4 dose if they refuse to eat

We tried several different foods to get him to eat a little. He wasn't touching his regular diet. Rice/chicken, sensitive stomach canned food(different varieties/brands), baby food, ground turkey breast. What worked the best was ground turkey breast, with a little bit a turkey baby food. Gradually decreased the ground turkey, and added in his canned w/d food. I had to hand feed a bite here and a bite there.
      This is great information. Thank You.
      Jules
      Hunter is a 13 yr old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, 17lbs. Diagnosed a diabetic June 2017. Started Novolin N 10/27/17, 11 units 2x @ 7 & 7. He has Cushings Decease. Crock Pot Diet for Dogs w/no carbs. He's trying hard to beat the odds!

Comment

Pancreatitis is painful so that may be why he's standing funny when eating. Is his blood sugar high? if he's eating but losing weight, could be.

The pancreatitis needs to be addressed first.
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Raysaint View Post
          Pancreatitis is painful so that may be why he's standing funny when eating. Is his blood sugar high? if he's eating but losing weight, could be.

The pancreatitis needs to be addressed first.
          Hi Raysaint,
          He was acting very oddly this morning so I took his BG and it was 45 so rushed him to emergency this morning they are keeping him overnight to monitor every hour. They have gotten it back up to 138 when I spoke to them just a few minutes ago.
          His lower abdominal area seems to be on the mend when they manipulated it, he was not showing signs of pain.
          Based on my research and I'm truly guessing here pain and stress play awful games on the diabetes. I had him on bland diet for a week and the pancreas was calming down. So the pain and stress was going away but I was still giving him the elevated levels of insulin. I was not scheduled to do a curve until this Saturday. My gosh this poor baby!! I am only hoping that I am doing the right things....I seem to be putting him through so much!! He just doesn't give up.
          Jules

Comment

The veterinary approach to pancreatitis has been evolving in recent years and I don't know, ultimately, what the best advice is. They used to withhold food altogether and then some started introducing food again fairly soon.

Your bland diet sounds like a good option.

Like others said, the body needs insulin even with no food going in and usually about 1/4 of the normal dose will work with no food whatsoever. Some dogs can take more (ours), some less.

That can be difficult with small doses of insulin - much easier with large doses.

Unfortunately, it's common, still, for vets to reject giving insulin without food.

Natalie

Comment

Stress, pain, and all kinds of things can affect blood sugar, and make it high or low. I usually get conservative on dosage as a precaution until the other issues are resolved.

When my dog was in the hospital in March for pancreatitis, it was 24 hours no food, but they had an IV in him to give him his minerals and what he needed, but no solid food that needed to be digested. Then they slowly introduce easily digested food. The recent research shows that earlier introduction of food (within 48 hours) is better than later.
              Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Sad News

Hi Everyone,
                I want to thank you all for helping me with education on diabetes. My heart is shattered my baby went to rest yesterday morning. Not because of diabetes but because of a 9 year old injury to his back. He could not walk or potty. He was 13 and could not be put under because of his heart conditions. Your help during the difficult time of treating diabetes was crucial to us both. We are forever grateful.
                Jules (Hunter's mommy)
                Jules

Comment

you put so much effort into your pride and joy and did such a wonderful job but time is something we can stop maybe slow down a bit . we have to make choices that are hard to do but the right thing to do so our loved ones dont suffer

Jules you have a gift to work incredibly hard for your loved ones

take care
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Awww, I'm so very sorry to read this. My heart goes out to you.
                    Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
                    10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                      you put so much effort into your pride and joy and did such a wonderful job but time is something we can stop maybe slow down a bit . we have to make choices that are hard to do but the right thing to do so our loved ones dont suffer

Jules you have a gift to work incredibly hard for your loved ones

take care
                      Thank you so much for all of your help.
                      Jules

Comment

Originally posted by MomofGus View Post
                        Awww, I'm so very sorry to read this. My heart goes out to you.
                        Thank you MomofGus. This has been a pain like no other. I will keep this forum book marked and keep everyone here in prayer. Thanks for all of the help.
                        Jules

Comment

So sorry to hear this, Jules. You have my deepest condolences, and Godspeed to good boy Hunter.
                          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

So sorry! When we let our Maggie go, it was not due to diabetes, but she had very painful injury/damage to her cervical spine. She couldn’t even lower her head to her bowl. It is heartbreaking, I know! If you can take any comfort in the fact that his pain is gone, then the grief will get better in time. Just take care of yourself - you did all you could to help him!
                            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I'm so very sorry. RIP Hunter xoxo
                              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
                                So sorry to hear this, Jules. You have my deepest condolences, and Godspeed to good boy Hunter.
                                Thank you so much.
                                Jules

Comment

Working...
                                X