Annie: Diabetic with new Cushings diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Annie: Diabetic with new Cushings diagnosis

I have to admit, that I do not test at home. I have to rely on my vet tech for that. I’m not sure how long he will keep her on the current amount, but the weight she is at, Royal Canin recommends 1 2/3 can so we just rounded it up.
    Last edited by katy1; 04-30-2019, 02:07 PM.

Comment

I think most believe that home testing is so important. It lets you have more control over the management. And it saves you trips and money.
      Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Annie had a bg curve today and as a result, doc raised her insulin from 7 to 8 units 2x a day. They will do another curve next Thursday.

If anyone is interested, I ‘ll be happy to post numbers. Doc said the curve looked good but it was too high. Blessings to you all. Karen

Comment

Yes you can post the curve and we can have a look see
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Annie's curve based on 7 units of insulin. Doc has bumped it up to 8.

8:50.............438

9:46.............344

10:49...........259

11:48...........213

1:57............229

3:00............267

4:00............290

Thanks for any input. Karen

Comment

one unit is reasonable
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Nice curve! She’s making good progress
                Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                Diabetes: Aug 2013
                Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

I have a question. Does Lysodren have any effect on insulin in a dual diagnosis pup? Annie is currently on 250mg of Lysodren 2x per week and was just bumped up to 8 units of insulin 2x a day after meals, but her food intake has doubled also........just curious if there is any connection between the Lysodren and insulin.

It’s so frustrating sometimes to have to come here to get info for her diabetes and then have to source the k9C site for her cushings. I feel like I’m the only person in the world with a dual diagnosis pup. I apologize for th little rant.

I’m truly grateful my little baby is still alive and thriving after everything she has been through over the past month. I’m talking about a 10 year old miniature schnauzer, diabetic, pancreatitis, gallbladder removal surgery and the list goes on.

Blessings to you all.
                  Last edited by katy1; 05-11-2019, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Hi Karen! It’ll be great for the folks here to also add their insight. But from what I understand about dual diagnosis dogs, I believe this is the relationship. Excessively high cortisol levels in the body can fuel elevations in glucose levels, as well. When cortisol levels are high and uncontrolled, it can be difficult to effectively reduce glucose levels, even when giving increasingly higher doses of insulin. Insulin resistance of this type can be one of the diagnostic indicators that a diabetic dog may be suffering from Cushing’s, as well.

Once the elevated cortisol of Cushing’s comes under therapeutic control, then the glucose level and insulin requirement will likely be reduced, too. Any medication that lowers cortisol — be it Lysodren or trilostane — will have this effect. So it’s an inverse relationship: As Lysodren or trilostane doses are increased, insulin needs may be reduced.

In Annie’s case, her maintenance Lysodren dose has remained unchanged since March. Per her recent ACTH test, her cortisol level has increased a bit during this time, but not enough that I would think it would noticeably affect her glucose level or insulin needs. But this is one of the reasons why I think it would be good to have her cortisol level rechecked in about a month. There are so many interlocking pieces to the dual diagnosis puzzle that it’s important to monitor lab results on a regular basis so that medication doses can be altered in a timely fashion. If her cortisol level continues to rise on the unchanged Lysodren dose, that could account for ever higher glucose readings, too, and the need for more insulin.

Marianne
                    Last edited by labblab; 05-12-2019, 07:38 AM.

Comment

As Marianne suggested There is a symbiotic relationship between the 2 diseases

You are seeing a good response from insulin without a high dose that may point to cortisol levels in an adequate range

Actually its quite amazing the response you are seeing from insulin and hope that continues but expect ups and downs thats the nature of the disease

Comment

You have definitely been dealing with a lot of issues. I didn’t test blood sugar at home for a long time. One December Jenny’s ACTH came back perfect. She was on lysodren. So we kept the lysodren dose the same but her insulin needs dropped from 3.5 units to less than half a unit. It was my busy season so I just kept plugging along. Turns out her cortisol was nonexistent. In a few months the same dosage had gone from being perfect to too much. The need for less insulin should have been a clue but I missed it. At one point her back legs were trembling and wouldn’t hold her up cause her blood sugar was 40.

So my long winded point is yes. Everything is interrelated which is why treating dogs with both diseases is hard. Learn to test blood sugar. It isn’t easy at first but at least it’s easier than testing the cortisol. And thank god for these forums. I credit both of them for saving my dog’s life. Most of all hang in there. We do the best we can.
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Oh all of you here, thanks for your input. You all are on target. Judi— I’m so scared to start testing Annie at home. Right now, I’m already the “bad mom” who attacts her with shots twice a day and annoys her another 5 x a day with meds for her cataracts. Then add on the Lysodren 2x per week—but that’s in my mind, not hers.

As far as testing at home. My doc said he would help me learn how to do it. But my little baby is still so bony. I can still feel her spine and all of her rib cage. Even if the inside of her ears are shaved down to nothing—you still can’t see any veins. One of my angel pups was diabetic and the only way I could test her at home was to roll the vein in a leg and use a needle to draw a blood sample. That just about killed me.

I’m just plain scared. Doc tells me that if I keep her on a strict diet, including a treat after her supper, she should be fine. Well now I know I’m going to have to jump back over to the k9C site and ask a bunch more questions over there. I just wish someone else with a dual diagnosis pup would chime in.

Oh Judi, if you don’t mind me asking, where are you located in Minnesota? The hubby and I are big time walleye fishermen and we usually fish the lower bowl of the Lake of the Woods up around Baudette and International Falls and we’ve even been up into the Angle which was kinda cool. Just curious. Blessings to you all. Karen

Comment

I just think Annie is so cute! We are in Detroit Lakes. My husband tries to get up to Lake of the Woods a few times a year for walleye. crazy state.
                            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Question...Is Cosequin safe to give to a diabetic dog? I was giving it to her before she was diagnosed over a year ago. She doesn’t seem to be having trouble now and muscle weakness was never a problem when she was diagnosed with cushings. I just want to be as preventative as I can if it would make a difference down the road. Blessings to you all. Karen

Comment

sorry, I accidentally double posted. Karen
                                Last edited by katy1; 05-14-2019, 04:58 PM. Reason: Double post

Comment

Working...
                                X