Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Roxy the Boxer

I wonder if it is just going to be easier to go back to the food you used to feed her before the diabetes diagnosis.
I know nothing about the brand you said you used to feed her but quite a lot of us on here don't feed a specifically "diabetic" food but our dogs do ok and we adjust the insulin to work with the food.
I just think that having a dog who refuses to eat regularly makes it so much harder to sort out the insulin dose and in your case going back to your old food might be the lesser of the two evils and remove some of the stress you're both experiencing at the moment.
When things are more settled you can always try experimenting with food further down the line.
Antonia
Old 01-30-2016, 06:57 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I think trying to feed a food she doesn't like is very risky. I went through so many foods with Maggie and she flat refused all the prescription foods and many premium ones as well. I used the Merrick canned foods that are stews - she used to like cowboy cookout the best. Now, she eats Nutrisca Stew with Nutrisca kibble. She really likes it and she is super picky. It is low glycemic so if you go that route, you might have to prop it up a bit with some add ins.

I have several brands that I think are pretty good that I used before or would if I could: Blue Buffalo Weight Mgmt is one I used prior to Nutrisca. Nutrisource has some really cool recipes, not super high protein, affordable, not super fatty either. Canine Caviar is a really neat brand - I would try it but Maggie is allergic to alfalfa as an environmental trigger so I think as an ingredient it might set her off. I also have used Grandma Lucys Pure Performance chicken and got identical numbers as her Nutrisca as it is very similar ingredient wise. Honest Kitchen is another dehydrated brand that is similar to grandma lucys.

The thing with food most of the time is you can adjust insulin to it unless it is just not matching up. The best advice is to just try some things and see what happens.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
I wonder if it is just going to be easier to go back to the food you used to feed her before the diabetes diagnosis.
I know nothing about the brand you said you used to feed her but quite a lot of us on here don't feed a specifically "diabetic" food but our dogs do ok and we adjust the insulin to work with the food.
Antonia
Thanks Antonia..

That's is one of the signs I noticed with her was she just stopped eating. I must have bought 12 different brands of dog foods and she turned her nose up to everyone of them.

She is still turning her nose up to ALL hard foods and all the different soft foods I bought.

With the "gel" w/d I was putting the cans in the fridge and handing feeding her with a very small amount of turkey.

Today I went to the vet and asked for the chicken and stew w/d and she loved it so much. It was not the " gel". I have not seen her eat that fast in awhile. She ate two cans ( they were the small cans I needed the large but they were out) so I opened the third can and try to mix hard in.. She turned her nose up immediately .. This girl lol
Old 02-05-2016, 04:12 PM

Have any of you guys use the chicken and stew w/d?? Tonight was the first night we tried it and she ate it all by herself. Now i think about it... It didn't seem like a lot of "food" and more gravy. I hope she got enough for her 8 units

I tried to mix hard food in with it and of course she turned her nose up to it right away. All she used to eat was hard food.. But about a month before she was diagnosed she stopped eating hard food and she still won't eat it

Last edited by Andrea; 02-05-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:55 AM

One of my pugs has some other problems in addition to his diabetes, and it has been a challenge getting him to eat any nutritious diet.

I grind up his kibble to a fine powder, add water to make it almost like a milkshake consistency, then add canned, meat/poultry/fish/egg or anything else you want to add, plus any meds/supplements he needs, then put it in the blender once again. He is gobbling it up....so far.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Have any of you guys use the chicken and stew w/d??
Been using the W/D chicken kibble for a total of about 6 years between Otis & Sonny. Never heard of the stew until now.

Like Joan, I "enhance" the prescription kibble to make it more appealing to the patient. We prepare 1/2 chicken about every 5 days in the crock pot. Remove all skin and visible fat and cook it on a grate so it's not in the juices. Dice up some chicken to add to the kibble for each meal. If I'm having Roast Pork Loin, or Ground Chuck or something else which is low fat, I get as much fat as possible out of it, and give Sonny his "share" for a couple days to provide some variety. He also gets ~1/3 of a hard boiled eqq diced into his W/D brunch snack.

Otis loved it, as does Sonny.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Last edited by farrwf; 02-06-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:28 AM

The stew wasn't out when we were coaxing Maggie to try and eat prescription. She is on a stew now and loves it. Have you tried soaking the kibble until it is mushy and mixing it in? Your dog may feel the kibble is too much. Maggie became very very picky when she was diagnosed. She did have pancreatitis though.

I have found anytime I changed to all canned, I had to use less insulin. I switched to do an allergy food trial once to all canned and it was a nightmare. It was mostly rabbit, very little carb and she would go to the 40's -60's every few hours so she ate about five times a day. She acted like she could eat the house house down. She loved the food - it had no staying power.

My advice is just test often to make sure it has enough substance to keep her in a good range.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:28 PM

Hey guys just stopping by to ask another question. So Roxy is getting super smart when I go to give her her shot.. That now she is running and hiding and as soon as she sees the needle she starts to whine....

Any advice ?

( p.s. She is my drama dog it takes over 5 guys to hold her down at the vet just to clip her nails)
Old 02-14-2016, 01:56 PM
Founding Member

if you have other animals that you can do fake test with maybe roxy would get jealous

my daughters pup staying with me while she is going to college would definitely be afraid if he was the only dog and getting shots but since jesse ( the family dog ) is diabetic and gets shots and we also test blood sugar my daughters pup teppie wants to get in on the attention and doesn't want to be left out and enjoys the fake shots and tests and expects it
Old 02-14-2016, 02:08 PM

If you have a few extra minutes you might do something Roxy really enjoys, like playing ball, or of course a tiny treat? Sometimes I grab the area where I'm going to inject and just give it 3-4 tugs, and then inject during the next tug (although Annie is blind and can't see me holding the syringe)

Craig