Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Cannot Get Ollie under Control

Scooterspal-

Thank you. I use Ocu-GLO which has all of the support vitamins for the eyes. What type of drops do you use? I believe that most people use normal saline drops. The cataracts in Ollie just seemed to appear in the last week or so, did not notice prior. Has been receiving Occu-Glow for 6 months. It is a shame that Kinostat drops has not come out yet. Thats the FDA for you-cannot get their act together
Old 07-03-2018, 05:56 AM

Jesse Girl-
Thank you. I guess I think of all my dogs as human. I give 6units of Vetsulin in the morning and 3 units in evening. His glucose stays in the 200-300 range. Should I do a fasting in the morning and then adjust. How would one do the adjustment? Thanks
Old 07-03-2018, 06:14 AM
Founding Member

My jesses routine is far from standard and it took allot of trial and error to get it right and its not perfect . The 12/12 routine did not work for her . I think because of her other challenges

Its hard for anyone to know whats best for your dog because they all can respond so differently to the disease .

Actually a range in the 200s and 300s is not so bad . What my goal for jesse is 100 to 250 and in reality your not that far away from that and most dogs do quite well from 150 to 250 .

The range you are talking about is pretty stable ( no big swings in sugar ) that may give you the opportunity to slowly raise the dose maybe a half to one unit depending on the size of the dog

Now having 2 different doses You may have to curve both periods to see what insulin is doing to blood sugar . That means staying up at night to do a curve from time to time

How did you end up having different doses of insulin ? Now if you have some curves you can post them . Ranges are ok but it doesnt give the nuts and bolts of the regulation and specific times and blood sugar amounts is helpful .
Old 07-03-2018, 06:33 AM

Starting a consistent 12 hour regimen, with same food amount and same insulin dose is the way to go. Do not make daily adjustments based on testing, it's important to keep the dose the same for at least a week. Then do a 12 hour curve, see what the numbers are, and adjust insulin dose.
Then repeat each week until numbers are getting better and nadir is still in a safe range.
Trying to always correct sugar with different insulin doses does not work in general.
Being diabetic myself, I was adjusting his dose slightly here and there for a while early on and just prolonged his regulation.

Hard to say if NPH is better, you'll have to see what kind of progress you make with Vetsulin. Give it some time.

As for testing, I always test before each meal. I don't think it cruel, I think it important in managing diabetes. For you being early in the diagnosis, you might also spot check around his nadir time, to make sure he's not going too low on a regular basis. But don't adjust insulin based on one low on one day. Only if it's on a regular basis.
You'll get surprising numbers all the time, it's the nature of the disease, bodies aren't machines. Strive for numbers in a good range, on a somewhat regular basis.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleng8304 View Post
I use Ocu-GLO which has all of the support vitamins for the eyes. What type of drops do you use?
I'd still consider the additional supplements I use, but your call.

Google Lanomax.
Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:49 PM

where did you get the supplements Thanks
Old 07-04-2018, 04:50 PM

Started a 12 hr regimen of 4.5 units q12 and two meals at same time Glucose running in 150-200 range Thanks
Old 07-04-2018, 05:38 PM

Very nice

Let the changes settle in for 5 to 7 days and, if you can, do a 12 hour BG curve with your meter. Start testing at breakfast and every 2 hours up to dinner. This will show how the insulin and food are working together and what his Blood Glucose pattern looks like.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 07-04-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:05 PM

Default Oliie's Cataracts

My Norfork Terier, a rescue, is 9 yrs old and dx with diabetes in January. Have in fairly good control with 4.5 units q12 of Vetsulin. I started him on Occuglow in January as well to either prevent or slow Cataracts. Up to a few days ago , no cataract. Now suddenly appeared and look thick. Is there any thing that be done, short of removal.... and is he too old for surgery.. Tanks
Old 07-05-2018, 07:04 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Oliie's Catarac

Once they are present, the only alternative is to have surgery. 9 is not too old but surgery always has some risk and may not always be successful. My dog had successful cataract surgery but she had extreme anxiety when her blindness came on suddenly. Many dogs have no problem with blindness and are pretty unfazed. As humans, we tend to attach more importance to vision. You just have to decide if surgery is the right option for your dog.