Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Oliie's Catarac

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydunn19 View Post
Once they are present, the only alternative is to have surgery.
I can only speak for Scooter and myself but since starting on the drops in mid April he has been able to at least hold his vision to the same degree. I only wish I had started using them from day one of his diagnosis back in September.

Glaucoma is what you need to be concerned with. If that develops unchecked you can lose the possibility of having the surgery later. That's why I suggested to the OP to have his dogs eyes checked immediately. I have Scooter's eyes checked every 3 to 4 months. So far he has been textbook perfect. The cost is only $50. Money well spent.
Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.

Last edited by Scooterspal; 07-09-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:04 PM

Default Pee Pee Sticks

For the past three days, Urine Test strips have been registering zero or negative with no color change. When this occurs I usually do blood testing and it would register around 120. I do not do bld as frequently as I should because his ear veins are mostly embedded and hard to get blood. I have been using same brand for 6 mo (Jor Vet) and they have been pretty reliable. There are no signs of hypoglycemia-none and physically he looks and feels fine. The only other thing that I can think of- I believe that glucose will not spill over in urine from the kidney until it reaches 180. Any suggestions. His last bld 3 days ago was 121. Any ideas?? Thanks Allen
Old 07-17-2018, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Pee Pee Sticks

May be the product is bad???
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:16 PM

From what I understand, you are right about BG needing to be over 180 before it spills over into urine. Therefore, urine test strips cannot detect BG less than 200 or so.

Have you tried other spots to test with your meter, like inside of upper lip? Other than watching for physical symptoms, testing with a meter is really the only way to check for low BG

Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 07-17-2018, 04:28 PM

This is a great chart. Thank you
Old 07-18-2018, 10:31 AM

Bld Glucose this morning was 61. No Pee Pee stick will read that. Thanks
Old 07-20-2018, 08:45 AM

Default Urine Test Strips

In between bld Glucose, I use Urine test strips throughout the day. I realize that they are not terribly accurate. I have been using Jor Vet for Glucose only.
If Glucose under 180 they will not even register. Is there any thing better?
Thanks Allen & Ollie
Old 07-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Urine Test Strips

https://www.americanveterinarian.com...tested-in-dogs

Now i have not personally heard of a member using this device but it appears it has been tried on dogs . Now it is for humans and may read a dogs sugar a bit different but i have used a human meter on jesse for over 8 years without a problem . It usually gets very accurate when it gets closer to what normal blood sugar looks like so i believe the device would do the job for dogs determining trends and identifying low sugar

Now finding a vet willing to install the device is another story and you may have to do a bit more research

As far as urine strips they are what they are and have a limited ability to test glucose in the body
Old 07-20-2018, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Urine Test Strips

Interesting-Like a scan
Old 07-21-2018, 07:14 AM

Default What's going on?

My Norfork Terrier ,9 yr o, is dx with Cushings and Diabetes. Originally we have had a lot of issues with sugar control. The last few weeks his glucose is running between 61 to 100 @ 4.5 units q12 of Vetsulin and a Glycobalance dog food. His Fructosamine was 250 and also treated with Trilostane 5 mg daily. He is scheduled for Acth stim next week. The issue is that he is staying at the lower end of glucose and the vet suggested that I drop insulin down to 4 units q12. I did that and Glucose is still at low end. DIABETES does not just disappear-does it? I am just afraid that I may be pushing him toward Hyoglycemia even though he has no clinical signs of it. Except for the cataracts, he seems to be OK. Thoughts?