Grayson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How does Accucheck Aviva rate?

Is the Alphatrak2 meter just a newer version of the old model - and can you use the Freestyle strips in both old and new (2) models? I've got my eye on a gently used Alphatrak2 meter on eBay that comes with 100 strips for $75...that seems like a good deal as the strips alone cost more than that (they're not expired yet) and the meter was used for a year. There is another selling an Alphatrak - not a 2 model - it was only used six times, but the remaining strips expired 9 months ago. Will those strips be good still, and will the Freestyle strips work in the older meter, or only in the newer (2) meter? The older model meter will cost me half of the newer one - and its very slightly used - but if I can't use cheaper Freestyle strips in it, then it doesn't do me any good...
    Grayson - 95lb black lab, 10yrs old, diagnosed 3/22/14 - Novolin N (27units) and Merrick Grain Free Buffalo and Sweet Potato dry food - Novox 100mg twice daily & a Cosequin supplement - Alphatrak2 & One Touch Mini

Comment

The alphatrack 2 uses the freestyle LITE strips .
      Its used but it is a good price, I, d go for it
      Get pics and expiry dates, maybe free shipping
      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Does anyone know if the expiration date for strips has any wiggle room? Aren't they something that'd have a pretty long shelf life if stored in their proper tubes? I'm thinking there should be at least several months past date that they could be used safely...has anyone tested out dated strips to see if they're still good?
        Grayson - 95lb black lab, 10yrs old, diagnosed 3/22/14 - Novolin N (27units) and Merrick Grain Free Buffalo and Sweet Potato dry food - Novox 100mg twice daily & a Cosequin supplement - Alphatrak2 & One Touch Mini

Comment

i purchased to many strips last year for the amount of testing i was doing and went 3 months past the expiration date . the strips seem to work just fine . dont know for sure if the accuracy was affected but as we know these handhelds aren't totally accurate . the most important thing is the lower range and that was good during that time
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Those 9 month old strips r not good and there for the old alphatrack meter.

The alphatrack 2 is your best purchase. You can use the freestyle lite strips with it kk
            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I was given several boxes of strips that were close to being a year expired. I tested several times against new strips and found them to be good. They were sealed and had been kept in a temperature controlled environment.

Jake
              13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
              At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Grayson eats only dry food - what do I do with the benefiber powder - should I just sprinkle it on top, or do I need to mix it with something for it to work best?

Comment

I have never used the fiber powder myself. Maybe you could put it in a small bit of water and mix with the dry food?

Also, would you like the title of your thread changed to something more personal like his name? Just mention what you want to call it and I will be glad to change it.
                  Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                    Grayson eats only dry food - what do I do with the benefiber powder - should I just sprinkle it on top, or do I need to mix it with something for it to work best?
                    Annie eats Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight dry kibble. I add three tablespoons of warm water, and then mix in the Benefiber.

Craig
                    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                      I have never used the fiber powder myself. Maybe you could put it in a small bit of water and mix with the dry food?

Also, would you like the title of your thread changed to something more personal like his name? Just mention what you want to call it and I will be glad to change it.
                      Yes, thank you - I was looking a few days ago to see if there was a way for me to change the title...you can switch it to 'GRAYSON' if you'd like.

Comment

Re: Grayson

Grayson has finally dropped below 200!!! His best had been 216 a few days ago but I tested him 5 hours past food/Novolin and he was only 180 (using the one touch mini)... I got a fantastic eBay deal on strips for it - I took advantage of a poorly worded listing that appeared to be asking $40 for only 50 strips, but was actually for 4 boxes of 50. I confirmed the amount, and apparently nobody else bothered to inquire, so I was the sole bid. 200 strips for only $40 - all good for another year! I still plan to get the Alphatrak2 and use the Freestyle Lite strips in it, but now I have cheap strips to cover us for a bit. I'm thinking BG may still drop a bit more, so I will check him again around the 6-7 hour mark. We had a couple visitors this afternoon, so he may be lower due to excitement, right? If it is due to that, I'll still take it...any way he gets to a better BG is okay with us.

He's also getting Zymox ear drops (the 1% hydrocortisone kind) to clear up the slight residual ear issue still hanging on. He doesn't seem to be bothered by any itching or head shaking now, so I think things aren't too bad. I'm hoping they'll look good when he goes for his vet curve on Wednesday. His numbers have still been in the 200's before today, so I'm expecting a bit of an increase - maybe a 2 unit bump, instead of the 4 he got last time...but Grayson looks to be headed in the right direction finally! It's been seven weeks today since diagnosis, so that's not too terrible, right?

Comment

My boy had his third curve at the vets today, and he got a wonderful report card and praise from the vet! His low was 133, and the highs only went to the 220's, with most readings staying in the mid 100's. They're optimistic that we could've found his sweet spot with the 20 units of Novoiln...time will tell if he settles on a range like today, but I've got my fingers crossed that we've hit pay dirt. Great news also that we can do the next curve from home and just report the numbers to the vet, saving $159 and the stress of the all day vet stay.

Comment

that looks like a good batch of numbers. time to hold steady for that long term response
                            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Great news!
                              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Wonderful news!!
                                Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Working...
                                X