No announcement yet.

Maggie is an angel today! June 20, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Introducing Maggie - Diabetic 7 years!

I'm so sorry that happened! I'd be furious too (and I hope that they didn't charge you for it)! I'm glad she's doing better this morning, and I hope she continues to recover uneventfully.
    Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Oh, so glad to hear that she is bouncing back. That Maggie is one tough cookie!
      Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Great news!
        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

What a relief. Hope you both got a nap today
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

So sorry to hear about this scare and much relieved to know that she seems better. I know I am relieved not to have to write you letters to prison...

Natalie

Comment

Yep, Natalie, my husband is relieved as well that I didn't have to murder anyone.

I am a little bothered. I really have always liked my vet and I hear some real horror stories about many other vets in town. But, it bothers me that he thought giving an old sick dog a vaccine on a surgery day was a great idea. And her record shows her difficulty with vaccines in the past. Just overall, it is disappointing. This is further proof that vets are human and you have to pay attention and stand up when things are not right. If I didn't think he was really good with diabetes, I honestly would leave and still may. I have worked so hard which everyone on here understands because you all live it every day. To think someone's bad decision could wreck all of that is devastating. I understand she is old and may very well have not made it through the surgery. That is a different issue and a risk I agreed to. But, to have some idiot make her sick is just maddening.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant a bit and thanks for caring about us. We love you all.
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Do they make prison orange diva dresses for Maggie?
                Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Just reading this. Glad to hear she is doing better. Hope she has a speedy recovery from the surgery, too.

Jake
                  13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                  At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Oh, Laura, I don't know if Maggie could adjust to prison life - she has never felt orange was really her color - it washes her out.
                    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I am just so relieved that we can all (somewhat) laugh about this.

I took Winston (12 yr old pug) in for mast call tumor removal a few months ago, and tech asked about his rabies shot, and I said NO. then I made her write it at the top of his chart. then I went out to the receptionists and made them go tell my vet who was in surgery at the time. Cannot take any chances!! My vet is great, but I trust no-one.

Comment

Happy all is well in Maggie land!

Comment

Joan - that was the part that made me furious. You don't do anything to my dog that hasn't been cleared through me. I still get angry thinking about it.

Comment

Scary times, Amy. Glad all is on the upswing now. Prayers things stay uneventful for both of you for awhile.
                            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Amy, I'm just reading about your ordeal and so happy that Maggie is doing better.

Things like this do make you wonder about these vets even though they are human and do make mistakes. I had to quit the vet I've been going to since I got my first dog back in 1989. I always liked his way with his patients as he is very calm and my two dogs loved him, however, he made a HUGE blunder back in April.

He suggested we have the test done for Cushings and since the numbers came back indicative of it he made that diagnosis. However, he never suggested an ultrasound or tried to find out if anything else could be going on like the pancreatitis and the diabetes. He didn't even discuss the outcome with me personally as I was told by his assistant and then he wanted me to start her on the meds for Cushings. I was so disappointed and, frankly very surprised, by the way he handled the situation.

If it weren't for the Cushing's Forum and knowing to get a 2nd opinion my Lacie would have been on meds she didn't need and would have also started on a higher dose than is recommended.

She may still have Cushings but there are no symptoms so for now that's good enough for me.

Needless to say, I won't be seeing him any longer and have a new vet now.

Take care!
                              Brenda
                              11 yr. old Bichon Frise...Diagnosed April 2015...Novolin 2x/day; snacks- frozen green beans, dehydrated chicken piece and frozen pumpkin pieces.

Comment

Wow Amy, I just got back from vacation and read about what happened with Maggie. I am so glad she is feeling better! Surgery and vaccine is rough. Glad Maggie is a tough girl

Comment

Working...
                                X