Winston - Odd numbers; need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diet for diabetic dog

Abby's mom, we are now using fish oil thanks to a member here who suggested smaller pills called Nature Made pearls.

Natalie, now that we are a few weeks into his diagnosis and he is on twice daily insulin, he is starting to be picky again and not wolf everything down, which is somewhat of a problem with figuring out the insulin. And as a side note, he is pooping four times a day with the Hills. Previously he would poop two times a day. Weird. Lots of fiber/bulk, I expect.

Comment

Re: Just a quick question about food and insulin

if they finished there meal within an hour you could give the rest of the insulin. 2 hours maybe ok but you have to watch for overlap with next shot any more than that you just have to wait to next shot time
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Re: Just a quick question about food and insulin

OK, thank you. I think we'll just wait until dinner then. I don't want an overdose situation, and he did get 2 units at least.

Comment

the fiber helps the insulin last all day but it was one of the things I didn't like about the Hills. I was kind of glad when my dog wouldn't eat it anymore. But it did work well for regulation so we'd have stuck with it if she hadn't gotten picky
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

What diet did you end up switching to, Judi?

Comment

Losing confidence

I feel like I am going backward. Winston started out being pretty good about his injections, but now, four weeks in, he is getting jumpy and vocal about them. This is after I switched to a tiny 31 gauge 6 mm syringe, which I thought would help. It didn't. He is definitely starting to anticipate the shot as soon as I pull his skin up. Just now he jumped so much that the needle came out! I had to put it back in and he cried again.

He's had a hard day because the vet did a curve for the first time. His sugars are still too high so we had to increase the dose. He is 21.6 pounds, now on 5 units Vetsulin twice a day instead of 4 units twice a day.

I am warming the insulin, bevel side up, injecting sort of in back of his shoulders.

Why is it getting worse?

Comment

Re: Losing confidence

that happened with us. Never found out the actual reason but my dog did seem to be more sensitive on one side of her body so we avoided that side. I'd go back to the syringes you were using before. Maybe they didn't hurt as much

Some people don't tent either because it freaks their dog out. Poor guy

go back to what you were doing before and see if that helps

these might be a more comfortable syringe. http://www.otcwholesale.com/sure-90055.html

I'm going to search. Barb (Abby's Mom) sent us some syringes that bothered my Jenny less than the others

this one:

Last edited by Judi; 03-14-2017, 07:15 PM.
                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

try these http://www.healthwarehouse.com/diabe...100-count.html

Comment

Hi Judi, thanks for replying. I clicked on your link and it went to the company but not to the actual product?

I should clarify. He was starting to act this way with the larger syringes (29 gauge half inch) so I switched to the smaller ones (31 gauge quarter inch). And at first that seemed to do the trick, for about a week, and just in the last couple of days he has started flinching and crying with these also. They are TINY.

Comment

Just want to make sure you are using U-40, 31 gauge syringes with the Vetsulin? These are not common. Nearly all U-40 syringes are 29 gauge.

Craig
                      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Where are you injecting? Every time I used the scruff, Maggie would cry. And she was really a tough girl. Once I started moving up and down the sides, she was fine. I never tented her skin - it is a waste of time.

Also, he may feel your anxiety so try to stay calm. Another thing they sometimes do is act like it is is a huge painful thing just to try to get you to stop when it really doesn't hurt at all.

People have used a device called Inject eze, I think and gotten good results. You might look for it.
                        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Craig, you are correct, but I am doing the mathematical conversion to use the U100 syringes. 5 units on the U40 29 gauge syringe is equal to 12.5 units on the U100 31 gauge syringe. (the exact same amount of fluid, different calibration on the syringe)

Amy, I am using the shoulder area and slightly behind the shoulder area. So not exactly the scruff. Could you tell me how you can give an injection without pulling up on the skin? I am worried that it would go into the muscle, without the extra space caused by pulling up the skin. He is not a large dog and is not overweight. (21.6 pounds)

I've wondered if he is putting on an act. Honestly I am not sure and it would be hard to tell. Winston is sensitive and not a 'tough guy'. However, logically, if the shots didn't bother him before, why would they bother him now? It seems to me that he has 'caught on' to the procedure and is now nervously anticipating the shot, as evidenced by his squirming and looking back over his shoulder when the syringe approaches. I wonder if his anticipation is making it seem 'worse' to him?

Comment

i use the back end of jesse i pinch some skin as she starts to eat . she pauses for a sec then continues to eat

the thing about this is there is no choice for dog or caretaker with that you reach a point of no emotion its something hat has to be done and that attitude must permeate to the dog

dogs are very tolerant of pain and a shot in itself is not much . its more of a space issue .

pulling some skin up all the time when you have the chance lots of pets and praise with it being a good pup

i can tell you everyone gets through this like i said there is no choice . you have to be firm no emotion and eventually the dog will give up and accept the procedure
                            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

I can pull up his skin all the time and he is fine with that, or even with a 'fake shot' with a needle with the cap on it.

He seems to know when it's the real thing. Or maybe it because he can tell from me, like you say, because I feel uncomfortable. So far it's been 4 weeks and doesn't seem to be feeling any better for me. In fact, since he's been reacting more, I am getting MORE uncomfortable, if that is possible.

It would sure be nice if I could turn that off. So far, not happening.

I seriously do not think this tiny needle should hurt much. Logically, I don't think it should.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie View Post
                                I can pull up his skin all the time and he is fine with that, or even with a 'fake shot' with a needle with the cap on it.

He seems to know when it's the real thing. Or maybe it because he can tell from me, like you say, because I feel uncomfortable. So far it's been 4 weeks and doesn't seem to be feeling any better for me. In fact, since he's been reacting more, I am getting MORE uncomfortable, if that is possible.

It would sure be nice if I could turn that off. So far, not happening.

I seriously do not think this tiny needle should hurt much. Logically, I don't think it should.
                                no it doesnt hurt . its a protest of wills like i said you will win. your pup might win most things but not this one

i am confident you will overcome this patch . there were dogs on here that needed to be muzzled temporally because they were actually biting and they came around

after sometime it becomes a new normal . i think i have given jesse 10.000 or more shots during her diabetic life

sometimes its just finding the write spot makes all the difference almost any where you can pull some skin you can give a shot

Comment

Working...
                                X