Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Spirit-Newfoundland

An injected antibiotic is a good option for dogs who already have sensitive stomachs. Sounds like your vet is on top of things!
    Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

yay for spirit

i dont think you could have come up with a better plan . nice to see something well thought out and executed and allot of it is you jim staying on top of things and being an advocate for spirit

hope thing continue to improve and have a good trip south
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Jim... Glad things went well for the Big Boy. Good job by both you and the vet.
        Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
        Diabetes: Aug 2013
        Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
        Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

I would get a finger brush. One thing that will help is to take the finger brush and clean out the area between the back teeth and the gums after each meal. Dogs have no way of getting food out that is stuck between their teeth and gums so it really is good to prevent build up. The finger brush is better than a tooth brush because you can better control the brush and put adequate pressure on the tooth.

Zymox has a spray that will keep the mouth moist and put enzymes in the mouth to help breakdown plaque. I sell the entire Zymox line at my store and it was developed by the scientists who invented Biotene for humans. The products are amazing. Pricier than average but really invented for special needs and senior dogs. I have been consistently using all the dental products with Maggie for months and have noticed a great difference.

So glad things went well today and stay safe in your travels.
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Whew!

Travel safe!
            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Great news!
              Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                Hard to really figure out. It really depends on how frequently you need to refill their water bowl. The 8 oz bottle costs about $19 from Amazon and I'm just finishing the first bottle after 5-6 months(?). The bottle has a pump top and the dosage is 2 pumps per quart of water (never measured what a "pump" measures). Annie doesn't drink all that much water, and as I said, I treat maybe 4 bowls of one quart capacity per week.

Craig

OK, ... I'll have to play it by ear then. Initially, didn't notice how often you change Annie's water. I keep Sonny's water pretty fresh and probably put fresh water, with ice cubes, in his bowl 3 - 4 times a day.

He has his biggest drink in the morning after his breakfast. I'll have to see if it can be effective in like one dose a day, or if it has to be in the water all the time to work right.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Jim.
                Last edited by farrwf; 09-27-2015, 02:04 PM.
                Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Moving forward with getting some for Sonny!
                  ============================

Sent: Monday, September 28, 2015 12:07 PM
                  To: farr_wf@att.net
                  Subject: Contact Us

Bill,

Once a day is enough to use the Water Additive.

Regards,
                  Nancy Schmitt
                  Pet King Brands, Inc.
                  710 Vandustrial Drive
                  Westmont, IL 60559
                  ph: 630-241-3905 x2205
                  fax: 630-230-1109
                  nschmitt@petkingbrands.com

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this email in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.
                  =====================================

Name Bill Farrell Business Name
                  Email farr_wf@att.net Subject Zymox Oral Care Therapy Water Additive Message I change my pug's water several times a day to ascertain he always has fresh, clean, cool water. Do I need to use the additive with each refill, or is using it in one bowl fill enough for the day??

Submitted by 108.67.141.217
                  Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post

OK, ... I'll have to play it by ear then. Initially, didn't notice how often you change Annie's water. I keep Sonny's water pretty fresh and probably put fresh water, with ice cubes, in his bowl 3 - 4 times a day.

He has his biggest drink in the morning after his breakfast. I'll have to see if it can be effective in like one dose a day, or if it has to be in the water all the time to work right.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Jim.
                    Yes, treat a bowl daily, or every 2-3 days should be fine. I change Annie's water daily because she doesn't drink / splash very much. When we pup sit our son's boxer we need to fill the bowl several times per day because his tongue splashes water all around the kitchen! He's cute by very messy!
                    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hi all, just checking in..... Been very busy since November with the re model of our new "tiny house" in Florida. Spirit is well, turned 8 (4 yrs diabetic) and doing well. He is up to 18.5 units day and 19 at night. I've been letting him run between 120-300 and he seems to be happy and healthy. My new goal is to keep him under 250 all day but sometimes those fasting numbers are higher so we still reduce them with walks...... They are a bit shorter and slower than before but we still enjoy them.

I'm really noticing the big guy slowing down now that he is 8+. We made the switch from humulin to novalin just before leaving in October and other than needing a bit more novalin he adjusted just fine...... Love paying $24 vs. $110!!! Thank you Walmart.

Sorry I've been gone so long, hope all is well. BTW...... spirit dumped his pug girlfriend this year and is courting a toy poodle......��
                      Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

he sounds like quite the playboy

is there any room for spirit in a tiny house ?

glad all is well .
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

ha ha ha. what a player! Those poodles are so cute though. I'm glad the Novolin is working out. Have a great winter!
                          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Glad to hear things are going well.

Comment

Nice report. Always enjoy reading about Spirit!
                              Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                              Diabetes: Aug 2013
                              Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                              Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Nice to hear Spirit is doing well. Our Eddie is also starting to slow down a bit and sleep a lot. Make sure those girls don't wear Spirit out!
                                Antonia
                                Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X