No announcement yet.

Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today.....

I'm so very sorry and my heart hurts to read that Spirit had to take that last trip over the bridge. It really gets to me when I read where someone has lost their beloved baby, and knowing just how much they loved and cared for them. Just breaks my heart.

RIP Spirit, run free big boy....run free
    Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
    10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

I can hardly breathe...

Oh Jim. This was just way too sudden. My heart is broken for you and your family. You and your wife just did SUCH an amazing job with our world traveler, Spirit. What a great partnership you all had.

Tear are flowing.

I'm so very, very sorry.
      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Blessed you are Jim!

I just defected back on your very early Nov 2011 post update. It was so informative and helpful to all of us. We all know how well you took care of your Spirit and the enjoyment he gave you and your family throughout his journeys.

Will miss you Spirit our snowbird.

Rest in peace, know you are loved, run, play you big Neuf.

Thankyou Jim I love you

mo
        Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Jim you did amazing job with spirit using exercise to maintain blood sugar levels .honestly I di not think that was possible because the difficulty of maintaining consistency . You were able to accomplish it and did it beautifully .

Jesse has lived a lifetime of neurological issues . I kind of blame a chemical dip for mights as a pup but who knows for sure .

I am glad spirit did not have to suffer by giving the selfish act of compassion from you .

He had a wonderful dogs life with you and your wife full of adventuress
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thank you all so much....today there is a huge void in my heart, I never wanted to let go of him in the back of the jeep. As the injection was administered he never lost eye contact with me and as his head became heavy in my arms a small piece of my heart broke. I'm going to miss all of our "sugar baby" routines even getting up each day at 5:30 a.m. Hugs to all of you and please take a moment to give each of your fur babies a rub for me....
            Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Jim, I'm so sorry. The eyes got wet as soon as I saw the title for the thread. Know how you felt, holding your best friend as he left this world. Through you, I felt I knew the big guy. Always looked forward to your status reports on Spirit.

You have my deepest condolences, and Godspeed to Spirit. He knows how hard you worked to make sure he had the best of care, ... and no doubt is watching over you as he waits for you two to be reunited.

Bill
              Last edited by farrwf; 06-09-2016, 10:42 AM.
              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Love that you had a final night to reminisce about all the places you've been and all that he did in his life.

It breaks my heart that you had to say goodbye - but I admire your courage to put your feelings aside to prevent him from suffering. No doubt you truly had a special bond. Hoping that in time special memories of Spirit will help fill that emptiness in your heart.

Thank you for sharing him with us. He was a beautiful soul and will be missed. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Holli
                Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Jim... This was so sudden. We learned a lot from you and Spirit's journey and life with diabetes. Thank you so much! Run free Spirit!

Mike and Lily
                  Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                  Diabetes: Aug 2013
                  Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                  Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

• Jim,
                    I am so saddened to hear it was time to say goodbye to Spirit. It takes so much love an courage to make the choice to help them transition on, and I know Spirit is thanking you for being with him. After loosing my Bazzle boy to cancer 3 weeks and 4 days ago, a friend sent me this poem that gave me some comfort:

Sometimes when you're feeling sad, when all you want is me, I softly sit and gently put my head upon your knee. Some nights when your heart does ache, worn out by tears you weep, i quietly lie beside your bed and guard you as you sleep. Somewhere far beyond this place, a land where all run free, I'm calmly watching over you and waiting patiently. Someday when the time is right, your voice will call to me, and I'll come running like the wind, someday... wait and see.

I hope the happy memories of your life with sweet Spirit will comfort you during this time of great grief. My heart goes out to you and your family,

Audrey
                    Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

• Re: Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016

Oh no... Jim. I'm so very sorry. I wasn't able to get to the forum the past couple of days so did not know Spirit was having problems and was shocked to read today of his passing.

Spirit was deeply blessed to have you for his loving and devoted family. You might not be able to bless his life as much he blessed yours, but you came as close as possible.

Sending a huge hug and kiss skyward to Spirit and a hug to your family.

Natalie

Comment

My heart is breaking 😥 I'm so sorry to see that your sweet boy has passed away. I pray the memories you have of all the happy special times you and Marijane shared with him will give you peace and comfort. He was a very lucky boy to have a wonderful family that loved him as much as you did. I will miss reading about your adventures. Run free in green pastures Spirit. Have a big juicy steak for dinner tonight big boy!

Comment

Oh jim,
                          Such sad news.your love for each other came through each post. Hold him close in your heart.
                          RIP sweet Spirit.
                          Special thoughts to you Jim.
                          Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

I never seem to have the words these days - every time we lose one of "our" forum pups, it just hurts to know the pain you are feeling. Maybe because I know time is precious and we only get a short period of time and it is never enough. I am so sorry.

I have always looked forward to a Spirit update - I was certainly not wanting to read this one. You and Spirit have had a special relationship and so many adventures. You have done an amazing job managing diabetes and in the end, it was something else that you couldn't have even tried to do anything about. You certainly did all you could do and made the unselfish choice to free him from pain.

I hope the memories of all those adventures will give you some comfort. Fly free, sweet Spirit!
                            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Oh Jim....I don't know what to say.

I am glad for Spirit that you were able to let him go, this just feels right. It would have been such an altered life for him and he might have sensed a lose of dignity....how hard it is not to be selfish at these times.

I remember when you first came on and you shared your tribute to your previous Newphie with us. I cried so much.

Watching a Spirit tribute will hurt I know, and bring back the loss of my Maggie, but if you do a similar tribute to Spirit I hope you will share it with us. I want to see him on some of the wonderful walks you two took.

Holding you in thoughts, Tara
                              Tara in honor of Ruby.
                              She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                              Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Jim,

There are no words to describe the loss. When we lose one of "our" pups, we all grieve.

You gave Spirit a wonderful journey, he will always still be there by your side.

My deepest sympathy.
                                Barb
                                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Working...
                                X