X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Spirit-Newfoundland

Originally posted by SandyL View Post
    I also had to laugh at Spirits reaction!! Sandy
    He must have known they wouldn't get any of the turkey!

Mary
    Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
    Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
    Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
    Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Wow Jim

All I can say is that you were all lucky you didn't get hurt. You could have easily loose control of the vehicle and MaryJane was also quick in her reaction. I also think it's funny about Spirit

Now that I've read this, I will be more careful on the roads around here cause the wild turkeys are a pest and they are all over. Sometimes, you litterally have to stop the car to let them cross.

Louise

Comment

OMG Jim...you three could have been killed! That is the scariest thing I've seen! Thank goodness you have a guardian angel somewhere!

But am not surprised at Spirit's attitude. All the Newfies I've known are like that. A 747 could fly by and other than a glance, they would just sigh and go back to sleep! lol I love that attitude.

Glad you guys are all ok! Hugs!
        Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

WOW .... you are blessed to get out of that one as well as you did!
          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by jim maceri View Post
            Still getting strange readings....low in the a.m. at fasting, then a slight rise, then a drop so no real curve pattern.

Now the little pooper isn't following any type of curve at all.
            Could be moving off honeymoon and his own insulin isn't on "auto pilot" as often as it was, dunno???

At least when they quit producing any of their own insulin, you know you're the sole source and can adjust appropriately. Not so in Spirit's case .... your honeymoon is a huge wild card.
            Last edited by farrwf; 04-17-2012, 01:26 PM.
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Those are some pictures! Glad to know everyone was able to walk away from that - a lucky crew you are! Love how Spirit takes in all in stride - amazing what we can learn from our fur babies sometimes! Holli
              Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Going in Monda for Spirits annual exam and vaccinations. He has to get a rabies and lepto vaccine. Anything I should be concerned with? Do either of these affect his BG?

Spirit is running some good numbers lately although he still can't decide what type of curve he does daily. For the last week he has been on a mountain curve peaking about 4 hours after his shot around 240 but his a.m. fasting numbers have been in the low 100's and the same at dinner time. All is well, knock on wood, for the time being.
                Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Vaccines cause an immune system response. So some dogs will respond with changes in bg and others just don't. Another page in Spirit's book . Let us know how he does.
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I'm concerned about the vaccines as well even tho we aren't due for a few more months. Please let me know how he does. Hugs!
                    Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

First of all - glad that you are all okay after the "turkey incident". Wow! That was something. Second - I hope that Spirit does well with his vaccinations. After living with a "human diabetic" for 24 years - I can say that it is a very unpredictable disease. Sometimes - medicines, etc. affect blood sugar and sometimes the very same meds don't. It's very unpredictable. I hope that Spirit will do great and not be affected by the shots - I believe he will be fine! Keep us informed.
                      FIGHTING FOR HARLEY...Susan & Harley- Yellow Lab born 2/21/2001 ~ dx 3/27/2012 ~ started with 11 units 2x day now at 21units Humulin N 2x day - weight 100

Comment

Probably too late in this reply, but I stagger vaccines with my dogs. less for the body to fight against at one time. my holistic vet believes not only is it safer, but you will get better protection from the vaccine in this way also.

Tara
                        Tara in honor of Ruby.
                        She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                        Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

I'm guessing Spirit has had the lepto vaccine before? I've never given it to Ali. Heard it had the potential for more side effects and she's been reactive to vaccines before.

Splitting them up is never a bad idea though.
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by jim maceri View Post
                            Going in Monda for Spirits annual exam and vaccinations. He has to get a rabies and lepto vaccine. Anything I should be concerned with? Do either of these affect his BG?

Spirit is running some good numbers lately although he still can't decide what type of curve he does daily. For the last week he has been on a mountain curve peaking about 4 hours after his shot around 240 but his a.m. fasting numbers have been in the low 100's and the same at dinner time. All is well, knock on wood, for the time being.
                            Sammie just had all her vaccinations/deworming last week except for Rabies. I do believe it made her feel kind of ill the next day but she bounced right back. I also believe her BG numbers were affected but only a little high for the next 3 days due to the deworming medication. Hope Spirit gets a clean bill of health!
                            Karen & Sammie 65 lb Female Golden Retriever/Collie 12 years old. Addisons and diabetes diagnosed June, 2011. 15 U am/ 8 U pm Novolin N & 2 mg of Prednisone/day. 3 cups Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb split into 4x a day feedings.

Comment

Just got back from the vets....i brought all my charts, log, notes ect....his general health exam went very well. I always have him check his eyes and he said that Spirit has no more cataracts in his eyes than a normal non-diabetic giant breed his age. Thank goodness. I know he was just being nice but he did say that some dogs that are regulated never go blind, they just have normal degeneration of the eyes.

He asked all 5 techs to come in the examination room as he proceeded to show them my "diabetic management kit". He told me that in his 15 years as a vet, he has never had anyone manage diabetes like I do with spirit. He then said I'll bet you have some "sugar" on you just in case....of course I pulled out my small bottle of Karo and everyone laughed. "I told you he would have it" he said to the techs. I told all of them about this wonderful site and how none of this management would have been possible without the support and information from the members. Doc did admit that he "peeked" at the site and thought it was a very good resource and tool....but we all knew that!!

One thing I found interesting is that he was not very concerned at all about the low numbers. My lowest was 70 and I explain how I give him a bit of syrup just to be sure a drop doesn't continue. He said that was a good call but he would probably hold back on doing it unless spirit goes below 100 unless I'm doing it prior to activity that would normally drop his BG like swimming, playing with other dogs, walks (in my case) ect...

I'm really happy for our group here and the fact that I have such a good vet.

Now I'm going to be watching spirit today for any signs from the vaccinations. When we left for the vet his BG was 171...when we got home, his BG was 147 so I guess he doesn't stress much from being at the vet. Side effects usually last about 12-24 hours according to his take home sheet so I will post on Tuesday after the 24 hour period to see how it affected his BG and mood.
                              Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Nice update! You really are the poster man for Diabetes management!

Judy (and Sadie)
                                Judy (and Sadie) ~ 12 yr. old Lab Mix |Weight: 62 lbs |Diabetes Dx (12/28/2011), Pancreatitis 1/2014 | Diet: 1 1/2c Flint River Ranch Senior Plus Formula with 1/2c Boiled chicken + 1/2c broth|Insulin: Novolin N 25 units 2x daily |Meds: Mirtazapine, Pepcid, Sucralfate, Tylan + B12 capsules | Meter: OneTouch Ultra2| BG Range: 150-404mg

Comment

Working...
                                X