Meet Hamlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Meet Hamlet

The only concern is you don't know how low he is going because you don't really know when his low point is. Hopefully, it is all ok - I never could go by Maggie's behavior to indicate trouble so hoping you won't have any.
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
      The only concern is you don't know how low he is going because you don't really know when his low point is. Hopefully, it is all ok - I never could go by Maggie's behavior to indicate trouble so hoping you won't have any.
      I share that hope. I sure would like to know where his low point is, but the way we're going about it is not going to reveal that. I realize, of course, that behavior isn't much of a guide -- but his earlier period of sleeping all the time and standing there looking into space at nothing was very scary. And at least that has stopped. He's still excitable now (hanging around an active two year old grand daughter for example), which generates the coughing/wheezing response, but even that has improved enormously.

Comment

Some dogs do fine without testing. Just be careful and maybe give him a snack if he has a bath or gets excited. Maggie drops low when she is excited but she will still be kind of hyper so I wouldn't know it unless I tested her. To me, she would just appear excited which we associate with feeling good.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
          Some dogs do fine without testing. Just be careful and maybe give him a snack if he has a bath or gets excited. Maggie drops low when she is excited but she will still be kind of hyper so I wouldn't know it unless I tested her. To me, she would just appear excited which we associate with feeling good.
          We too do the snack thing when he asks for one, and he's hardly shy about doing that. And we also associate his being excited with thinking he's feeling good. Today, for example, we had some stuff delivered through our front door and locked him up with little Henny and my wife during the delivery, always an occasion for for barking and demonstration by both of them. That went just as it always has, followed by Ham curling up and taking a nap on cool kitchen floor tiles at a corner leading to our entry hall, one of his many regular spots (just in case someone were to turn up at our front door, which invariably leads to an excited "protect the home" replay by both dogs). Repeat: Ham looks like he's well and back to normal!

Comment

Update: BG very high again all of a sudden: like 481. We'll see how he tests again tomorrow 6 hours after eating and his usual shot. He seems in good shape, but had an overly busy week at the beach (without me, but with wife,daughter and two-year old grand daughter). Maybe it was too much for him. We'll see. This was discouraging news.

Comment

Did they check for infection? High blood sugar sometimes is the first clue before any symptoms. How old is your insulin bottle?

Comment

it can be very hard on dogs at the beach being out all day in the sun . especially a diabetic one
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

When he goes to the beach, he stays inside, out of the sun. It's the surrounding hyper-activity and "new" people, I think, that get to him. The insulin is pretty new -- couple of weeks. Today's test result was way better: about 190. So perhaps all is well. This is nerve-wracking!

Comment

Update: yesterday Ham scored a 116 on his BG. Good news again!

Comment

Might be my last one for a long while -- or I hope so. This is only to report that we have found the right insulin level for Hamlet -- nine units. He rang up two readings below 150 over a five week period. Still using the expensive Humulin and worrying about changing it just to save money. Ditto on home blood testing instead of taking him periodically to the vet. If we change either of these things, I'll report results here.

Thanks to all here who have commented and helped us with Hamlet!

Comment

Sounds like a great update!
                        Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Re: Meet Hamlet (II)

Ham is doing well on humulin and we seem to have steadied out at nine units twice a day.

Now we have a new problem: cataracts. I will hunt for stuff on this at this site and think I'm sure to find things. Please direct me to any you found helpful.

And Happy 2016 to all!

Comment

Working...
                          X