Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:11 AM

Default Fiber and diabetes in dogs

This short article is worth your time to read.

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Fiber
Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:15 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Fiber and diabetes in dogs

thanks for sharing
Old 12-12-2017, 09:13 AM

As usual, it depends on what studies you read. Am. Vet Assoc studies showed insoluble fiber as important.
I'm not disputing your article scooterspal, just keeping info well rounded.

I think both fibers are important.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10754666
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysaint View Post
As usual, it depends on what studies you read. Am. Vet Assoc studies showed insoluble fiber as important.
The way I read this study, which is actually similar to the one I sighted, it states that both diets consisting of high soluble and high insoluble fiber produced similar results when the levels of serum sugar were measured as compared to the diet low in fiber.

From my research on the two types, it is the soluble fiber (oats being a good one but also beans, peas, barley) that appear have the more positive effect in that it is the one, of the two types, that binds to substances like cholesterol and sugar preventing or slowing their absorption into the blood. It also boosts the amount of good bacteria in the intestines.

Insoluble fiber appears to be more of a bulk waste product. If tends to fill up the stomach, so one eats less, but passes through the system with little real effect.

We can go on forever. Not here to debate. The point is, adding fiber (as I do using the rolled oats) and others here do with different sources, is proven to be beneficial to our diabetic friends. The evidence is clear.

Add the fiber of your choice and your dog will thank you.
Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.

Last edited by Scooterspal; 12-12-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:37 PM
Founding Member

definitely adding pinto beans to jesses diet had many benefits for her digestion

her poohs were just beautiful ( as we know we get excited about that because we know everything is working down there correctly )

she also had anal sac problems and since she has been consuming the beans she hasn't had any problems with that ( knock on wood )

they are a nice single treat (one bean ) that she really enjoys
Old 12-14-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysaint View Post
I'm not disputing your article scooterspal, just keeping info well rounded.

I think both fibers are important.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10754666

Hey, I just read an NIH article that stated as a possibility that the dogs that received more insoluble fiber had better glucose control. However, it seems many foods have both and was going to ask "What insoluble fiber can I add and what do I remove remove as a result?"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1091352167
Old 12-15-2017, 04:48 AM

Scooter gets 4 tablespoons of old fashion Quaker Oats (not the quick version) in every meal. Has for many years to help with digestion. Increased, after the diabetes diagnosis.

He cleans the bowl every meal. His stool is perfect. It's clearly helping with his BC regulation. What more can I add.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Founding Member

yum

there was a member who gave there dog millet which appeared to improve regulation for there dog
Old 12-15-2017, 11:55 AM

I tried the tablespoon of old fashioned Quaker oats (uncooked) in Winnie's dog food last night. Her stool was firmer and there was no diarrhea (which she has had off and on since switching to her new food). Thanks for the great idea, and it's super easy too!
Old 12-15-2017, 12:40 PM

Well, it sounds good. Was your baby's BG affected by the addition of the oatmeal?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1091352167