Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Fiber and diabetes in dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichons9 View Post
Hey, I just read an NIH article that stated as a possibility that the dogs that received more insoluble fiber had better glucose control. However, it seems many foods have both and was going to ask "What insoluble fiber can I add and what do I remove remove as a result?"
I use brown rice. I cook up a pot, then break it up into little Glad bowls and feeeze them, then thaw as needed. I give a good soup spoonful in the morning. Barley is also insoluble. Beans and chickpeas too.
Many other insoluble foods are things we usually don't want, like various grains.
There's more sources of soluble fiber from my research, foods we like to give our dogs.
I asked a nutritionist about sources because too many websites are incorrect, if you google either fiber.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:23 PM

I'll keep Winnie on the oatmeal (or brown rice) and will be doing a glucose curve test on her this weekend to see how she's adjusting to the new dosage of 6 units morning and 6 units at night and see how the addition of oatmeal hopefully stabilizes her blood sugar ups and down throughout the day. I know it has helped her diarrhea.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:30 AM

We have to assume all these things are interconnected.

If a dog is "sick" with an infection or, in your case diarrhea (which can potentially lead to dehydration), it's probably safe to conclude this will have some bearing on their BC levels.

Getting a handle on each issue should, IMHO, eventually lead to better diabetes control.

Glad to hear the oatmeal is working for you. Sometimes the simplest things work best.
Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:51 AM

Default Simplicef and diabetes issues

My internist put Scooter on once-a-day Simplicef (cefpodoxime proxetil) for his skin issues last Friday. Apparently, it is a common antibiotic for skin conditions, among other things.

Since then I have not been able to regulate his BC levels at all. Getting weird spikes and lows where before had near perfect regulation during the day. I was chasing his levels up and down, for no reason other than adding that new drug.

This morning was the last straw. Scooter was 257 at 1:30am. Normally, he's around 80 - 100 at that time, as I check him every day.

I knew what was coming and, sure enough, at 5:30am he was HIGH, over 600 on my meter. That's the third day in a row he was well over 400, at that time.

The only thing I can find on the web states Simplicef can cause false readings with BC in urine testing. Now, whether that also means odd readings testing blood, I do not know. Either way, to take a chance for 20 days was not an option.

So, I've pulled him off the Simplicef and will notify my vet.

http://diabetesindogs.wikia.com/wiki...ation_warnings

This just goes to show that, unless you're testing regularly, you just don't know what's going on with your pet. Diabetes is an insidious disease that we can never take for granted is under control.

I learned that from you folks and I'm forever greatful.
Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.

Last edited by Scooterspal; 12-19-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:51 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Simplicef and diabetes issues

Maggie had major issues with that antibiotic, simplicef and clavamox - they both pushed her dangerously low and one gave her bloody stools, etc. We switched her to another one with no issues. You definitely did the right thing stopping it. There should be many alternatives that donít cause those side effects. And yes, thank goodness for home testing.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Simplicef and diabetes issues

Interesting. I have used simplicef twice with Snickers and have had no adverse effects. I have to request it (my vet defaults to less expensive options) but Snickers is the devil when it comes to taking pills. She has been known to pretend to swallow, hide the pill and then spit it out in a corner when no one is looking. The small once a day option of simplicef is a game changer for us.

The "every dog is different" mantra holds true again.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:31 AM

Default Scooter's cataract

Prior to Scooter being diagnosed with diabetes last September, he had the early makings of a cataract in his left eye. That has since developed into a much larger cataract to where it appears to be affecting his entire eye. He also has a much smaller one in his right eye.

As most of you know, cataracts are a possible side affect of dogs developing diabetes especially if their BC levels remain unchecked running above 250 for most of the day. While I have worked hard to keep Scooter well below 250 most of the time, his already having the early makings of one put him at much higher risk of developing a full blown cataract.

So, now it is here.

We have talked about the Can-C eye drops before on this forum with most responders leaning towards it being mere snake oil. I've known of these drops for many years and thought of using them for myself when I was told I had early cataracts. So far, my eyesight is still fine, so I did not pursued it.

Now, however, I have begun using them with Scooter, in both eyes twice a day. There are copycat versions that do not work. I was careful to buy the original patented product. I am also putting him on Twintab OcuGuard Plus, an oral supplement once a day. There is some evidence the two pronged approach causes the drops to work that much faster.

It can take weeks to months to see any improvement. I plan to stay with this and I will update you all on his progress.

Wish us luck.

Last edited by Scooterspal; 02-26-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Scooter's cataract

I think the problem with cataracts is once the lense is damaged you cant bring it back . I am in the camp if you can keep lens moistened and thats what you maybe doing that could slow down the damage and may lengthen sight but nobody knows for sure

the product has been around a long time . My thought is if it does no harm than its ok to use

Fingers and paws crossed
Old 02-26-2018, 02:21 PM

Keeping fingers crossed and please keep us updated! My dog is also developing cataracts. It started to happen within 3 weeks of her showing symptoms and 1 week after diagnosis. Iíve been using ocluvet drops for the past week+. My vet mentioned them but said he had no evidence (even anecdotal) whether they worked. I have no expectations, but like you Iím willing to try anything.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:37 PM
Founding Member

good luck! some dogs have done well with the cataract surgery