Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Food Reviews

Hi all,

Stumbled on this site this morning by accident. I just scanned through some things, but I think it's a really good site. Of course, it's just an opinion of the Dog Food Advisor.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Linda

Re: Dog Food Reviews

very informative

its nice to see all the brands together within the rating system and able to read there reviews one at a time
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Linda - I just took a look there - it does seem like a really useful site - very responsibly managed. I'll probably visit there from time to time. Thanks for the link!

And how are you and Ladybug doing? I'll watch for your thread again!
      Mon, 21 Nov 2011 07:11:42 (PST)
      http://www.coherentdog.org/
      CarolW

Comment

Great Link...I was kind of disappointed with hills WD. That is the reason I do a mix of hills WD 75% with Wellness Super 5 25%

I'll keep that link.
        Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Thanks Linda!! Like jessegirl said, good to see them all together to compare. I guess I got lucky since all Tiggy will eat is canned (since diagnosis) and all the varieties I use are on the 5 and 4 star list

Sandy

Comment

Thanks for posting. It was good to see that Zoe's food got 4 stars. Whew!
            Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Great information.

Mary
              Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
              Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
              Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
              Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

I pored over that site when Jenny was first advised to go on the Hills W/D. At the end of the day though we HAD her insulin regulated on it and neither of her 2 vets or her eye doctor thought it was that bad.

Since we are back to re-regulating, I'm going to stick with it.

My non-diabetic dog gained weight on it. It is the only canned food he liked. So he is on Ultra weight management kibble now.
                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

The problem with any diet analysis site is that it starts with a set of values by which it measures the foods. WD's corn base means it will always score low on those kinds of tests.

Would I like to see WD made with high quality meat? Yes.

But in eight years participating on forums for diabetic dogs, I've seen many dogs thrive and get exceptional regulation on WD. Some have argued that one of the reasons we have seen so much more regulation difficulty is that the prescription diet isn't used nearly as much as it used to be.

If I saw every dog who went on WD struggling to regulate, I'd be the first to chime in against it. But quite the contrary, I've seen a lot of dogs do very well on it and get really great regulation.

I think it's like most things - a disaster for some dogs, a godsend for some dogs, and everything on the spectrum in between for the rest.

Natalie

Comment

Rowlf is very, very well regulated on Royal Canin and no longer has the skin allergy problems she used to have with W/D. And she loves the kibbles! So I'm going to stick with what works for us. - sheureka
                    Rowlf - 13-yr-old 15-lb Bichon Frise diagnosed May 2009 - Relion (Humalin) NPH 4.5 units 2x daily - 1/2 cup Royal Canin 2x daily

Comment

Hi all,

Ladybug has thrived on WD...she has gained her weight back to normal of 31 lbs...her coat is very healthy and shiny...eyes are bright....everything seems normal with her....almost like she doesn't have diabetes. She's a very very happy Ladybug!

I only made this post for information, not for anyone to change their furbaby's diet just because the food they were on didn't get 4 or 5 stars.

WD dry got 1-1/2 stars and WD canned got 2 stars, but I won't change Ladybug just because of the low rating. As I said in my original post "of course, it's just an opinion of the Dog Food Advisor.".

I don't want to ruffle any feathers here!

Linda and Ladybug

Comment

i did not see jesses food on the list this is puzzling

beef heart jubilee with egg , yams and collard greens i figured it would be at the top of the list oh well jesse likes it
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post

beef heart jubilee with egg , yams and collard greens i figured it would be at the top of the list oh well jesse likes it
                          I bet Jesse loves her heart jubilee!
                          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post

I cannot locate this dog food via Google. What brand is it? I'm looking for something Izzy will eat. Would appreciate information.

Mary
                            Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                            Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                            Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                            Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Originally posted by Poodles View Post
                              I bet Jesse loves her heart jubilee!
                              well i am not sure which she loves the best her jubilee or a good rabbit chase but when she gets home after chasing the voice of a beagle comes out and lets the whole neighborhood know shes ready for the jubilee

very entertaining to watch but she does not savor the moment she inhales every molecule and gives me the look wheres dessert

silly girl that jesse

Comment

Working...
                              X