Ace - Maltese diagnosed 11/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ace - Maltese diagnosed 11/2014

You can hold the part of the syringe containing the insulin between your fingers or tuck it under your arm for about 30 seconds before injecting Ace. That will warm it up and make it more comfortable for him, and it doesn't affect the insulin.

Happy Thanksgiving to you!
    Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Hi all. Lifes been crazy the past week, sorry its taken me so long to get back on here.

So far ace is doing very well on his new diet and insulin. So far hes averaging in the 165-180 range.

something has me concerned/confused. Hes now been on 3 rounds of antiobiotics and still dribbles a lot when laying down. We have to give him a bath almost every day.

Im assuming at this point it cant be a UTI, as thats really the only symptom. Is this common with diabetic dogs? He stopped dribblinb when he was on the medicine that the uti was "resistant" to. At this point im starting to think the vet just wanted more money, because these new meds dont do anything.

Just curious as to what you all think I should do in this matter, or if its actually part of the diabetes.

Thanks!

Comment

Is he drinking excessively or just normally?
        Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Nope, back to drinking and urinating back to normal. Its just he leaks when sleeping. Its not much, but for a hairy white furred dog it's very noticable.

I called the vet, and they refuse to put him back on the clavamox because they claim his uti is resistant. But a few days after being on it, his uti symptoms disappeared completely. The other two did 0 help.

We had leftover clavamox and tried it again with the few days supply we har left, and leaking stopped again. I was going to be sneaky and order it on 1800petmeds, but evidently you need a prescription (which should of been common sense)

Comment

Can you order it from out of the country?

Comment

I suppose but id rather not risk it not knowing what Id get.

Im going to wait for next weekend. I know my normal vet wont be there, as "rookies" go there on the weekends for their schooling needs. Hopefully a walk in, maybe act a little crazy, and victory. The extremes we go for our best buds!

Comment

I have not had a boy dog in a long while so I don't know if the leaking is a UTI symptom. I know the clavamox helps but I would want a firm diagnosis if it is the UTI or something else. If his blood sugar is in a good range, I wouldn't think UTI.

Have you ever tried any cranberry or d mannose? Normally, I am not a supplement person but Maggie has had so many UTI's and she gets d mannose powder every day. She rarely has UTI s when we give it to her but always seems to get one if we run out. I have no idea if it is coincidence but it doesn't cause any issues for her to take the d mannose, so I continue giving it. It is hard to get even in a decent sized city - I have a brand I like and it is at Whole Foods or Drug Emporium which aren't that close to me so I run out sometimes.
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Leaking at night might happen with an elderly dog.

i wouldnt wait a week. I,d take a urine sample to a vet clinic to get an answer.
                  Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                  20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Thank you all for the responses!

Its an annual tradition where we spoil Ace with christmas gifts. Mostly a few toys and some treats.

I really have no clue what kind of treats we can give him in small quantities. Right now its a tiny piece of cooked chicken tender.

Ace really likes milk bone soft and chewys. But I honestly dont know if they are ok for a diabetic dog to eat.

Heck, I dont know if any are. Hes not a huge fan of crunchy treats (even though he loves carrots and and occasionally celery) but rather likes soft treats.

Think those are an ok christmas gift for my buddy? Im willing to hear any recommendations as my wife is all on my case about it tonight haha. Thanks again all!

Comment

jesse can get some special treats at times and it can be the forbidden fruit but its rare and only special occasions . for jesse she does not have really consistent numbers so i dont worry to much disrupting a pattern

we have eliminated her most favorite thing to eat which is bones . diabetes did not eliminate that but digestive issues and you must take that in consideration with a diabetic dog . not sure why maybe the higher blood sugar . higher fat they say can trigger a pancreatic attack . so you do not want to be complacent about food and treats

bottom line is to keep your pup healthy and eliminating risk of future health issues that challenge diabetic dogs is important
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Try home made jerky, super easy to make, cheap, and you can make a bunch at once and freeze it
                        Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

I buy freeze dried sweet potatoes, buffalo bites, salmon bites, and fruitables skinny treats. I avoid milk bone type biscuits - they are just too carby. I have given Maggie Merrick GI bones with no problems, small bully sticks and this little tripe twists, but I usually compensate by reducing her meal a bit if she gets a bone or bully stick. I avoid rawhides at all costs because they are hard to digest. I have found any treats made with liver, like duck liver or beef liver, spike her sugar. It may take some experimenting to find out.

Also, you can fill a Kong with chicken or turkey baby food, freeze it and the dogs love it. The Beech Nut brand doesn't have onion powder. You can also make some ice cubes with baby food.
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie's mom View Post
                            Try home made jerky, super easy to make, cheap, and you can make a bunch at once and freeze it
                            Wow never even thought of that, or if I did, it slipped my mind! Now I just need to dig out my dehydrator, no clue where I put it.

Out of curiosity, how do you make yours? Do you use the oven or a dehydrator. I know my dehydrator is small, and needs to be on for a good 12-24 hours. Debating if using the oven is a better alternative.

Also, probably a strange question, but everytime ive ever made jerky, it doesnt last more than a few days. Do you store it in the fridge, or just in a regular container non refrigerated. About how long could each way be kept around? Thanks!

Comment

We use the oven. Take 2-3 boneless breasts and slice them as thin as you can while they are still semi-frozen. Bakes on foil lined cookie sheets at 200 for about 3 hours. When cool take a kitchen shears and cut into strips. We use then as rewards after shots and eye drops
                              Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Working...
                              X