Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:33 PM

Default Vacation options

This will be the 1st time we will be going on vacation since our dog, Petey, was diagnosed as diabetic. Normally we have a sitter come in during the day and sister stay with him over night.

Sister can not give him shots. She could not handle it.

What do you do with your pets. Kennel? Vet tech come to the house?

Looking for my best option.

TIA
Old 06-29-2016, 05:51 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Vacation options

We always had sitters who I trained to test blood sugar and give shots. Over the past couple of years, only myself or my husband could keep her so we took her with us to the beach. She was much happier with one of us.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:05 PM
Founding Member

I would stay away from a kennel . to many of our diabetic dogs ended up getting sick and parents coming home to a sick pup some really sick

they can be more prone to catching things so you really need to do your research . there are so many options nowadays with places like care.com and thing like that

the best option is to find a way for your dog to stay home
Old 06-29-2016, 11:15 PM

I agree with the above post! But I thinks it's better to find a place that your dog can relax.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:36 PM

I would just always pick somewhere where I could take Murphy with me. Did not trust leaving him anywhere and never found anyone who could give him his shots and make sure he would eat also. It's tough but when you have a diabetic pet you have to make sacrifices and plan vacation accordingly
Old 06-30-2016, 10:23 PM

I taught my dad how to give my Bazzle boy his shots. He didn't like giving Bazz shots, and he was always afraid he was going to hurt him, but once I was able to show him the Bazz didn't even feel the shot or the poke for blood testing he was much more open to the idea. Unfortunately some things happened, and my dad told me he would never give Bazz shots again, but my brother, who basicly grew up with Bazz, said he was ready to learn.
I occasionally have to travel for work (though I'm usually not gone for more than a day or two), and I only went on 2 vacations that were 4 days or more after his diagnosis. I always thought it best to keep my boy comfortable at home, because I know the stress of being at the vet's office (the clinic also offers boarding, and will work with owners of animals needing to be medicated) messed with his blood sugar something feirce.
Maybe showing your sister that it's okay and she's not hurting Petey would give her a little more confidence. I also at one point looked into hiring a professional dog sitter that could give shots, but at the time I couldn't afford it (one of the sites I looked at was care.com)
Best of luck to you!
Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:51 AM

Do you find a right place now? for your vacation? Give us update.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:18 AM

Ask your vet. Our vet does kenneling for special need dogs. Might be more expensive but if you really need someone who knows how to care your pet, your vet may be the way to go.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:22 PM

I have a dog sitter that usually comes to the house but they will take a few dogs into their house so we are having a trial run Monday to see how Petey will handle it. If he does ok, I will be leaving him with them. They already take care of a diabetic dog so they know how to give shots and are familiar with the feeding schedule.

Taking him on vacation is not an option, nor is not going on vacation an option. I love my dog and will do what I need to do to make sure he is taken care of but 2 - 1 weeks trips we will have to work out.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:33 AM

Your dog sitter sounds ideal if Petey is happy going there.

When we go away we get a professional animal sitter who can do injections (but doesn't test). we need one anyway for all the other animals.

One thing we do is tell her to give him rather less than his usual dose of insulin and also we tell her to give him a small snack in the afternoon when sometimes he can drop very low. It means that he will often run a bit higher than usual when we are away but that feels safer than a risk of him dropping a bit too low.

Antonia