Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:59 PM

Default Newly diagnosed Morkie, Mr. Magoo

My 10 year old Morkie, Mr. Magoo was diagnosed today with diabetes. On the plus side, I had a Yorkie (Angel) who passed away in 2005 that had diabetes and a lot of other problems, so I am familiar with the disease. I belonged to a forum at that time and it was so helpful that my first thought was to find a similar one for Magoo. We meet with the vet tomorrow to get him started on vetinsulin. I am not familiar with that as Angel was on regular insulin. Any information on the vetinsulin will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2016, 01:34 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Newly diagnosed Morkie, Mr. Magoo

Welcome to the forum!

Many of us still use human insulin, mostly Novolin-N from Walmart because of the much lower cost than Vetsulin. $25 for 1000 units of Novolin-N, vice about $50 on average for Vetsulin's 400 units.

Vetsulin is a good insulin, dosage seems to be about the same as for Novolin-N. There have been 1-2 pups on the forum that couldn't use Novolin-N and had to use Vetsulin because it's closer to the natural dog insulin.

It would be interesting to ask your vet what he recommended during the period of time Vetsulin was removed from sale in the U.S.. (there was a 2-3 year period when Vetsulin wasn't allowed to be sold in the U.S.)

Did you home blood test Angel? Most of us do our blood glucose testing at home.

Craig
Old 02-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Hi and welcome! I, too, would rally for human insulin. My dog was never on Vetsulin as it went off the market and stayed off for several years when my dog was early on in the process. The cost is so much less and dogs have used it for years with no problems. This disease is expensive enough without having to pay extra when you don't have to !
Old 02-02-2016, 02:40 PM

Thanks so much for the quick replies and information. I already have my list of questions for the vet. Fortunately, he is a great vet and about 5 min from our home. It's been over 10 years since Angel passed and I have forgotten so much. Magoo is a sweetie and my little boy and I just hate that he has to go thru this but I will sure do my best for him. The forum I was on before offered so much help. I am so glad to have found this one!
Old 02-03-2016, 12:23 AM

Just wanted to say welcome to you and Mr. Magoo! When my dog Bazzle was diagnosed, vetsulin was just making its way back into out local market, but after discussing it with our vet we decided to just stick with human insulin (starting with the Relion brand of Novilin N from Walmart). I'm glad you found the forum here! The folks here are great about sharing their experiences, and being supportive and encouraging. Sounds like you've gotten off to a great start,

Audrey & Bazzle
Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:02 AM

Hello and welcome!

Here in the UK the only thing that is generally offered is Caninuslin (Vetinsulin by another name) so that is what we have used for the last three years. Our dog has survived ok so far, so we're happy enough with it - though we have nothing to compare it to!

It has always produced a "mountain" not a "bowl" curve which might be different from your previous experience but that is not a problem once you realise that is what is going on.

You do need to use the special syringes for Vetsulin and not generic ones.

I hope things go well with the vet today.
Antonia
Old 02-04-2016, 05:43 AM

Thank you all for the warm welcome. We did pretty well at the vet last night. Magoo has uncomplicated diabetes and the vet thinks he will do pretty well. He has been on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat wet food for years do to some intestinal problems and an allergy to chicken. The vet wants to maintain that food. We are now adding the some of the same food in dry form. We are using the dry food as a replacement for his Milk Bone treats and, so far, he loves them. First shot this morning and did fine. As soon as I figure out how, I will post a pic of him. Again, thanks so much for the welcome.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:56 AM

Figured out the picture so you can all see my little guy now.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:11 AM

Default Can't get any blood in tail test- Help

I have been trying for two days to get some blood from Magoo. I watched all the videos and read the instructions and still no luck. He will not let me touch his mouth, ears are too black and way too hairy, tried the foot pad and nothing, shaved an area by the base of his tail and tried there, still nothing.
I am using 30 gauge lancets, warming the area and massaging it first, gently squeezing for the blood but NOTHING. He has to go to the vet for his first curve this morning and I was SO hoping to be able to get the first one at home. Now he'll have to go, get tested, come home and eat, get his shot and go back for the day. Am urine testing and no ketones so far so I think that is good. Nervous wreck and scared to death about this. Can anyone help?
Old 02-16-2016, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Can't get any blood in tail test- Help

I'm sorry it's being so hard for you. It does sound as if you are doing all the right things. There are a couple of other things I've seen suggested for dogs that are reluctant to give up their blood -
1. Pinch the skin where you are about to use the lancet and keep it taut while you push the lancet quite firmly up against the skin.
2. I think some people actually do two small punctures right next to each other in the tail area so as to get a tiny bead from both. This might not be helpful until you are at least getting something though.

The other thing I'd try doing is getting him to run around a bit if possible before you try to test - so his blood is pumping a bit and you might get a bit more out.

Overall I'd say just keep on trying. It is a bit of a technique and it does often take a while to get blood reliably - but it is so very valuable when you can do it.

Hope it gets easier for you both
Antonia