Bazzle - Cherished Companion from 2002 - 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bazzle Dog

Poor Bazz - You know I think deer have some pretty strong scents. Abby would know when one was out in yard, and she was in the house. Her hearing was going, so I don't think it was what she heard, but rather the smell.

Hope he is doing ok. I bet he had the time of his life.... more than likely he went low during the excitement and ran out of insulin towards the end of the day.

Barb
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Just a quick Bazzle update,
      Last night Bazz whined a bit when he got up after he'd been laying for a 2 hour movie, but that was the only indication he gave that his back was hurting him. He hasn't made a peep since which has been a relief. Another bit of good news is that the spot checks we've done today show his BG levels are back down to his normal range I guess it was all the excitement.
      Still planning to do a curve this weekend. Thanks for all the healing wishes
      Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Glad to learn Bazz is doing well. Sending more healing vibes!
        http://www.coherentdog.org/
        CarolW

Comment

Apparently I spoke too soon with Bazzle and his back pain. At 10:00pm last night, he started crying like he did when he was first diagnosed with his spondylosis. I don't mean whimpering either, I mean full blown cries for 30 to 40 seconds before tapering off.

I don't know how he's been during the day since his collisions, because I'm at work, and my dad has been having some major dental problems so he hasn't really been home the last couple of days either. My plan is to call the vet that figured out he had spondylosis in the first place and see what he recommends.

The thing that's kind of throwing me off is that I figured if my boy was in pain it would raise his numbers, but his BG levels have been fine (after the initial spike). Thanks for listening,

Audrey & Bazzle
          Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Soaphie has spondylosis of the spine and her protocol is as follows:

Morning:
            Zrytec (allergies)
            Tramadol (75mg)
            Deramaxx (50 mg)

Evening:
            Tramadol (75 mg)
            Gabapentin (300 mg)

This protocol was through trial and error. She was in a lot of pain, ended up limping around and all sorts of other stuff. This works for Soaphie.

Good luck...it's not fun to see them in so much pain.

Tami
            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

If he hit with his head it may be worth evaluating his neck area as well and keeping an eye on his gait and nails.

Decker had what his vet suspected was horner's in early May 2012. Because there can be neuro causes of horners they checked him over pretty good and I remember them moving his neck all around and him having no reaction which would have caused concern of pain. The memory sticks with me because of how far they could move his neck up/down and right/left.

By Oct. 2012 he was dx. by a neurologist with a cervical spinal lesion which caused him to be off balance, and both rear and front legs to knuckle. They dx. it to be cervical (c1-c5) because he had mild left cervical (neck) pain (we were not able to be present when he was evaluated at the teaching hospital). I was present when his GP checked his neck area again in late Nov. 2012 - we had a CBC run on him just before starting him on pred. He did show slight winces of pain when his neck was turned right or left. But never to the point he cried out or had a large reaction.

He took many, many falls forward when he lost his vision and became extremely lethargic before his hypothyroidism was dx. (late June 2012). We could not afford the MRI to dx. the cause of his cervica lesion. His neuro listed the following as possibilities:
              "Potential causes of the lesion are:

- Disc disease with disc material intruding into the spinal cord canal
              - Wobbler's disease generating scar tissue and inflamation
              - Tumor on the spinal cord
              - An inflammatory process such as auto-immune attack or meningitis
              - Vascular event such as a stroke that damaged the spinal cord."

His bg had been fine on 5u of levemir before going to the neuro. They prescribed gabapentin (Oct. 2012) and within a couple of doses we had to reduce the levemir insulin to 4.5u - indicating that he may have been in some pain but didn't cry (we only heard a grunt when he laid down) nor was it reflected with his 5u of insulin (bg had ranged from 100 - 300). When he started the pred and tramadol (Dec. 2012) his insulin needs actually held pretty steady to lowered at times (he ranged from 3.5u to 5.5u).

Another thought is to take video to help document what you are seeing. Helpful to show a vet too - in case the behavior is not repeated at an appt. When we took video of Decker there were things I was able to see on the video that I had not caught in real time. Also helped document a timeline for him as to how his injury progressed.

Hoping Bazzle's injury is temporary and that he is back to his fiesty self soon!
              Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Aww poor Bazzle. Hope he feels better soon.

Jake
                13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Oh, no! Sorry Baz is not feeling well. Hope he feels better soon!
                  Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Just my luck,
                    The vet's office "can't squeeze him in until Monday" (sigh).

I love the idea of video-ing one of his pain attacks, but I have my doubts on if it's even possible. When we were going through this the first time I walked around an entire weekend with my phone in my hand waiting for him to have an episode and when he finally did, my phone's video recorder didn't load fast enough to catch anything. Ok, I'll admit, I had already started making plans to spend this weekend walking around with my actual video camera (with hopes it will start recording faster than my phone )

I guess I just worry because when I tried to record it, his attacks seemed to happen super fast. When I didn't try to document it, his attacks seemed to take forever.

Actually, I think the word episode describes what he's going through pretty well. His episodes put him in a lot of pain for a short amount of time, then he's able to calm down and go back to being a normal happy pup. I wonder if that's why his BG levels don't seem to be affected that much. I have noticed that he seems to be a bit higher in the evening since his litteral run in with the local wild life, but it's only been 2 days and I was worried that maybe I was over reacting.

I'll keep you guys updated, again, thanks for listening

Audrey & Bazzle

Comment

Hey Audry

I think your Bazzle might have a bit of a strain from heading into the deer .

Is there a fence up to stop this happening again?

Wow maybe its just a muscle strain, I hope

My goodness , how is the deer

Hope it doesnt happen again

I, d be so protective and put up some sort of barrier

You Rock Bazzle, maybe a pain killer for a couple of days too

Mo
                      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

poor Bazzle. I hate that he can't get in till Monday
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
                          Hey Audry

I think your Bazzle might have a bit of a strain from heading into the deer .

Is there a fence up to stop this happening again?

Wow maybe its just a muscle strain, I hope

My goodness , how is the deer

Hope it doesnt happen again

I, d be so protective and put up some sort of barrier

You Rock Bazzle, maybe a pain killer for a couple of days too

Mo
                          Hi Mo,
                          I hope you and Riliey are doing good

Funny thing is, our entire back yard is fully fenced, plus there's a separate fence around our garden, and a third fence that creates Bazz's area/kennel (his area is designated as the entire side yard that wraps around the house and includes about 1/3 of the free space in the back yard). Our fences are 6 feet tall, except the ones around the garden which are 5 feet.

Lol, the local deer don't have any problems leaping over our fences, and although we've tried nearly every trick in the book to keep them out of our yard and garden they still get in. The deer and the feral cats are actually the reason I always look out the windows and then join Bazz outside whenever he goes out (my boy has always been a chaser ). I hate to admit it, but I just didn't see the deer that morning.

It's nice to hear from you I hope you're staying warm up there in Canada,

Audrey & Bazzle

Comment

You know what,
                            Sometimes my Bazzle makes me feel like the worst diabetic pup owner in the whole world. We’ve been dealing with the back pain episodes as they come, using ice bags and massaging the area, and I guess Bazz and I both started feeling like we were making some progress. Today, my dad and I knew we had to leave Bazz alone in the house for an hour while we attended another family function. Bad back and all my dog decided it would be a good idea to jump up against the counter and grab a loaf of bread I had purchased yesterday... he ripped open the plastic wrapper and ate the whole thing…

When I brought home that stupid loaf of bread I just tossed it on the counter, instead of pushing it back against the wall where Bazz couldn’t have gotten it … I felt sick with guilt and worry for my pup.

My first thought was of his blood sugar, which had still been slightly elevated from our run-in with the deer, and how this was most definitely going to cause it to sky rocket. The next thing that went through my mind was of how bread expands when it gets wet, and how an entire loaf of bread in my dog’s stomach could potentially cause him bloat, a twisted stomach, or his life. I immediately called the Animal ER, who told me to bring him in so they could induce vomiting. So down we went.

After giving him 2 doses of the drug that makes him puke, he had only thrown up about 1/4 of the loaf. Then, they took X-Rays to see if there was anything else in his stomach (I’m not sure if they were looking for parts of the plastic wrapper or if they just didn’t believe me when I said he ate a whole loaf because he didn’t puke up a whole loaf). They showed me the X-Rays, and his stomach was still chock full of bread, but the good thing was that his stomach didn’t have any gas forming in it, so they told me he wasn’t in any immediate danger. I've posted his X-Ray Pictures in an album in case anyone wants to look:

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/album.php?albumid=464

Unsurprisingly, Bazz has been in the 500’s ever since we got home. I know in the back of my mind that I shouldn’t blame myself for what happened, but the guilt his weighing heavily on my heart I can’t believe my pup has eaten something he’s not supposed to AGAIN.

I’m half tempted to re-name my dog to G.D. which will be short for Garbage Disposal. He still gets to go visit the vet that found his spondylosis tomorrow, but I’ll be able to take the X-Rays from this afternoon for a comparison to see if it’s getting worse.

Sorry for the novel everyone, I really needed to write that out. I’ll keep you updated,

Audrey & Bazzle

Comment

oh my i do understand my jesse is a junk yard dog walks are filled with treats for her from bones and rabbit pooh i just worry something gets stuck which can lead to problems .

we cant be perfect all the time we are human and actually we are far from perfect .

i remember back early in jesse diagnosis actually her first year everything that could go wrong went wrong as time went on the dark clouds dissipated and some sunshine came through and we all got a break . i dont expect this to last forever and things will change again . i think i am more on edge when things are going well wondering when the change will come and it will . it is the trials and tribulations of life .

hope for things to come out smoothly for your bazzle with no ill affects
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Audrey,

The good thing about dogs, is that they are so forgiving. Not only emotional wise, but diabetic wise. It will pass through, and perhaps you can be back on track.

Remember they are dogs, and will do things that dogs will do. We forget that sometimes, but that is why we love them so much.

In a few days, things will get back to normal with the bread. Hopefully his spine feels better.

Barb
                                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Working...
                                X