Decker made his journey to the bridge Jan 26, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Decker made his journey to the bridge this afternoon

Oh, I am so very sorry. We were all very invested in Decker. He was part of our little family here and he will be missed. He had a wonderful vibrant spirit, clearly visible in the videos you posted. I am glad it was fast but I am so very sorry that he is not with you and your family now.

You did a wonderful job caring for him. You kept him alive with your diligence and love.
    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Oh Holli,

Like everyone I am so shocked to read of Deckers passing.
      Take comfort that u were with him at the end.
      Your love and care for Decker was second to none. Give Rebecca a hug from us all. U and all the family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs
      Allison
      Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Oh so sorry to hear it, such a beautiful boy and what a shock it must have been. Our deepest sympathy for you and your family, Holli.
        Janie & Bo

Comment

Holli, haven't been on here is awhile but checked in today to see the bad news.
          I am so sorry for your loss, You worked so hard with Decker. Know that He had a great life and I am sure Decker knew how much He was loved. He is running free now with my Maggie and we will see them again someday.

Diane
          Maggie, 70 lb golden Lab. dx 12/30/11 w/d kibble with a little canned innova, boiled chicken pieces after shot for treat.. starting on Levemir 3 units. 2/25/12

Comment

So sorry for your loss Holli. Decker was a special boy and was lucky to have you in his long, happy life.
            Karen & Sammie 65 lb Female Golden Retriever/Collie 12 years old. Addisons and diabetes diagnosed June, 2011. 15 U am/ 8 U pm Novolin N & 2 mg of Prednisone/day. 3 cups Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb split into 4x a day feedings.

Comment

• Holli I wanted to say that your family is weighing heavily on my heart. I told Joey and he was also shocked and so very sad. Out of all the dogs decker was his favorite. He was hooked after the videos. He said decker reminder him if Casey.

Thankfully everyone was there with him and he was surrounded by love. He saved you a traumatic, difficult decision that you would have had to make at some point. Casey did the same for us.

Please extend our sympathies to your family and please don't hesitated if there's something I can do for you.
              I'm Debbie and Nibbles is a 16yo beagle mix ~ Diagnosed in Feb. 2011 with Diabetes and Cushings ~ Currently at 11 units Humulin N ~ Eating Wellness canned food.

Comment

Like everyone else, I am shocked, totally shocked to read that Decker has passed.

Just unbelieveable that he is no longer with you and us. He will be seriously missed by many, many friends he never even knew.

God help you through the difficult days ahead and hang on to the fact that he is no longer suffering.

Our deepest sympathy,

Judy and Sadie
                Judy (and Sadie) ~ 12 yr. old Lab Mix |Weight: 62 lbs |Diabetes Dx (12/28/2011), Pancreatitis 1/2014 | Diet: 1 1/2c Flint River Ranch Senior Plus Formula with 1/2c Boiled chicken + 1/2c broth|Insulin: Novolin N 25 units 2x daily |Meds: Mirtazapine, Pepcid, Sucralfate, Tylan + B12 capsules | Meter: OneTouch Ultra2| BG Range: 150-404mg

Comment

Holli
                  I'm so sorry to hear your news. He was a very beautiful dog.
                  Antonia
                  Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

Comment

So sorry to hear this sad news.
                      Fly free Decker.

Jenny

Comment

A big thank you to everyone for your thoughts, prayers and kind words. We've all shed lots of tears, laughed as we remembered the good times and shed more tears. The hole Decker left behind in our hearts will take time to heal.

We were able to take him to the vets last night. He will be cremated. Rebecca asked if we could clip some of his fur to keep. I'd wanted to. My mind was so distracted at the time I'd completely forgotten about it. Was so very happy she asked. She clipped fur from his each of our favorite petting spots.

Last night on the way to the vets we all shared memories and Rebecca put together a poem for Decker. Today we went through some old pictures and she took out several of her favorites and sketched them in her sketch pad in honor of Decker. This afternoon we went to the craft store and bought a bunch of scrap book supplies & a memory box frame. We have his tags, his favorite bone, toys, pictures, and lots of other memories and we wanted to find something positive to do with them.

Find that tears still flow easily... Waking up and not having him here. Not having him come sauntering into the kitchen the moment I take the lid off the pb jar or open the test strip container. Seeing Kinser lay down with his head atop Decker's favorite toys. Riding the spin bike this morning and seeing the hallway where he took his last breath. Being in our tiny kitchen and being able to open the fridge more than a crack because he's not laying in front of it. Seeing John cook dinner and not having to straddle over him to access the oven. Coming in the door and not hearing his bark. Not seeing the spunk in his beautiful eyes greet me as I come in. Having Rebecca ask if there is any way we could have saved him.

As we left to take his body to the vets we went outside to discover a full moon. Our Decker, the boy who loved to howl, how fitting that he left this world during a full moon. Today was a beautiful sunny day. After several days of lake effect snow followed by days of dark sub zero temps, the sun shined all day today. On the way home from our shopping we saw a beautiful sunset. He was smiling down upon us to let us know he was ok. Have told Rebecca that whenever she finds a penny or spare change lying around it's a sign from Decker. Letting her know he is ok and thinking of her.

This forum gave us 14 priceless extra months with him. Without all of the folks here we would not have enjoyed making the memories we did over those months. We had one last Christmas and he looked great. He was surrounded by extended family & lots of forbidden foods. Even on his last day he got a bit of reddi whip & a couple of potato chip snacks.

My heart goes out to all those whose fur babies have gone on before Decker. I know he will be in good hands. My thoughts & prayers also go out to those whose babies are fighting a tough fight. May the time you have be pain free and the memories of the time you have last a lifetime.

Holli, John & Rebecca
                        Last edited by momofdecker; 01-27-2013, 07:58 PM.
                        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Thank you Holli,
                          That Decker...

Jj and Eddie
                          Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Thank you, Holli, for sharing this with us. Even though I only knew Decker through the forum,stories, pictures and video, it is heartbreaking still. Thinking of you...

Comment

Holli,
                              I'm glad that even on his last day he had some enjoyment. Tim was scrolling through his thread last night and came across Decker's stepping stone. So glad you made so many memories along this journey. And your pictures and videos are priceless.

In a way, as Debbie said, he took that painful, difficult decision away from you that may have been looming at some point. Little consolation when you are missing him so much. But perhaps a blessing through it all.

I love the scrapbook and memory box ideas. My pictures have been comforting to me. I took Ali's tags with me hiking this afternoon. It's nice to have those things that remind us of their presence in our lives.

May the time you have be pain free and the memories of the time you have last a lifetime.
                              Love this sentiment.
                              Patty
                              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I have always enjoyed your stories Holli. Although this one is sad it is beautiful still. The way you are helping Rebecca process the grief and the way she will help you.....

Sometimes they say of people that it was a good death. I don't think from a caregivers perspective we can ever look at their passing and think there is anything good about it, but I think that his passing was quick and the decision made for you could be viewed as a blessing. It was certainly a blessing that you were home with him. How terrible it would have been to come home and had him gone.

What brave souls we all are that we gladly give our hearts to these wonderful creatures that we know will cause us unbearable pain when they leave.

I love the memory box and hope you share it with us when it's finished.

Tara
                                Tara in honor of Ruby.
                                She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                                Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Working...
                                X